moving asteroids

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 raykey

raykey

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:36 PM

Any thoughts on if a ship hits asteriod the said asteroid (as per Newtons laws of motion) moves away from the ship the same distance directly away from the ship which could cause a domino effect on other asteroids, only coming to a halt after moving the said distance with out hiting anything or if it hits another ship. Ships may avoid collision only if they have a pilot skill higher than the one which caused the original impact, eg ship skill 5 causes the collision a skill of 6+ suffers no collision where as a skill of 5 or less has to roll for damage as per core rules

#2 Steak

Steak

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:43 PM

the mass of the ship is likely not high enough to make an asteroid move.

#3 Eltnot

Eltnot

• Members
  • 776 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:45 PM

the mass of the ship is likely not high enough to make an asteroid move.

Well not much anyway.

Carpe Jugulum

Spoiler

#4 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:50 PM

Any thoughts on if a ship hits asteriod the said asteroid (as per Newtons laws of motion) moves away from the ship the same distance directly away from the ship which could cause a domino effect on other asteroids, only coming to a halt after moving the said distance with out hiting anything or if it hits another ship. Ships may avoid collision only if they have a pilot skill higher than the one which caused the original impact, eg ship skill 5 causes the collision a skill of 6+ suffers no collision where as a skill of 5 or less has to roll for damage as per core rules

Moving Asteroids are cool, and can feel a little bit like space Tsuro, but honestly they take too much time compared to what they add.

#5 raykey

raykey

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:57 PM

Hmm see your points of view so how about only if hit by huge ships

#6 XAQT78

XAQT78

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:58 PM

I mentioned this in the "measuring" thread.

I presume you would need a mass/force greater than the asteroid.  Look at Ep V, when the destroyer went into the asteroid field.  The shields were taking a beating.

I would like more immersion like since craft can move, why not have roids too.  I say, add directional movement die(s) that would show you which dircetion (8) and how much it moved.  

Moving to New Hampshire this week, can't wait to start collecting & battling!

Prequel Consistencies and Contradictions

#7 Eltnot

Eltnot

• Members
  • 776 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:09 PM

I would like more immersion like since craft can move, why not have roids too.  I say, add directional movement die(s) that would show you which dircetion (8) and how much it moved.  

Given that X-wing is already a pretty abstract game (lack of third dimension, previous speeds aren't taken into account which would affect how quickly you can accelerate and decelerate, etc), it's a level of complexity that the game doesn't really need.  However if you do want some house rules, I'd recommend using a directional dice(the Warhammer 40k/Fantasy ones would be ideal) or a spinner and have each asteroid move 1 forward in that direction at the beginning of each turn.

• IvlerIin likes this

Carpe Jugulum

Spoiler

#8 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:13 PM

I would say that you do it a bit like Tsuro of the seas. Roll each turn. If you fall into a certain range(Say roll 4 attack dice. If any crits come up move Asteroids.) Then Use a directional die for each asteroid. On a specific roll maybe even add another Asteroid. :P
  • Dagonet likes this

#9 Danath

Danath

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:33 PM

I want to play with moving asteroids to start. Kind of like Asteroid the video game. They all have a direction on them and they move at pilot skill 0. Maybe the smallest one moves at speed 2 and the rest move at speed 1. When they fly off the board they reappear on the opposite side. Would makes thing pretty interesting. :D

Rebel 2 Z-95s, 3 A-Wings, 3 B-Wings, 5 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wings, 2 HWK-290s, 2 YT-1300s, 1 GR-75 Medium Transports, 1 Corellian Corvette, 2 E-wings

Empire: 2 TIE Advanced, 4 TIE Bombers, 8 TIE Fighters, 7 TIE Interceptors, 2 Firespray-31s, 2 Lambda Shuttles, 2 Tie Phantoms, 2 Tie Defenders

#10 Icareane

Icareane

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:13 AM

In an old issue of White Dwarf,  I'm talking 1999 here, there were some rules to play a jetbike pursuit game inspired by the Endor forest jetbike pursuit.

The idea was basicly that one side was trying to escape the other through a forest.

To represent the speed of the chase, each turn all terrain pieces were moved from the escape side of the board toward the starting side. Any jetbike hit by terrain or moving into terrain would be destroyed. It made for a pretty fun and tense game when adding some restrictions on bike movement.

Terrain pieces were recycled to the escape side when they reached the starting side.

Edited by Icareane, 16 May 2014 - 03:14 AM.

My painting and gaming blog : http://rule37-ica.blogspot.fr

#11 Swedge

Swedge

• Members
  • 500 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:15 AM

what about shooting them with lasers that cause them to break up into smaller asteroids? i know i have seen this idea before....lol  

anybody in the Sumter S.C. area???

#12 IvlerIin

IvlerIin

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:41 AM

Scatter dice and a D3 (range ruler)? Or D6 (movement templates)? Rolling a 6 would become "zero" movement.

It's read as "Merlin"... and yes, like Ivlagic...

#13 EmpireErik

EmpireErik

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:05 PM

FASA Intercepor had the idea that the asteroids actually moved. Try something simple like moving one or more in a preset direction at a preset speed, keeping damage results the same or having one move through you or ontop of you....

Edited by EmpireErik, 16 May 2014 - 03:06 PM.

• IvlerIin likes this

Empire: 1x Tie-Defender; 1x Tie-Phantom; 10x Ties; 7x Tie-Int (3 reds; 3 sabers, I int); 6x Tie-Bombers; 1x Firespray; 1x shuttle; 1x tie-adv; 1x slave ship.

Rebels: 5x X-wings; 3x Y-wings; 2x B-wings; 1x A-wing; 1x Falcon; 1x Hawk; 1x E-wing; 5x Z-95s; 1x transport.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS