Photo

How Does the New Cannon Ruling Affect the LCG?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wraith428

wraith428

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:48 PM

So Knowlege and Defense seems to be taking a while to get to stores... but that could just be standard shipping issues.

However I had a horrible thought today... what if the new Cannon ruling is getting in the way.

On April 25th most of the EU was tossed under the "Legends" banner and it was announced that a new Story Group had been comissioned tasked with making sure future Star Wars cartoons, books, comics, video games, etc. fall within the official storyline.

Since Knowledge and Defense contains EU material (Moldy Crow I'm looking at you) and releases after April 25, is this posing a problem for FFG.

I really hope not.  Maybe they'll have to get a bunch of "Legends" stickers to put on the outside of the boxes.

Anyone heard word from FFG about how the new Cannon affects their products?

-Wraith428

#2 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:29 PM

You know as much as anyone else. Knowledge and Defense is already printed. Changes to the canon should in no way impact the LCG.

#3 Demas

Demas

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:36 PM

ForceCast episode #301 (I think, it was a recent one), one of the hosts (who also co-hosts the Sabacc Table, geared around Star Wars related gaming) mentioned running into a FFG exec or editor after the announcement who assured him that the license is intact and their relationship with LucasArts as strong as ever.

#4 wraith428

wraith428

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:43 PM

@Demas,

Thanks for that info... although (and I know you weren't making a direct quote) to me it only sounds like the FFG employee was saying FFG can still print Star Wars material.  It doesn't mention whether they can print EU material that is no longer cannon. 

Hope I'm making something out of nothing.

Wraith428

#5 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:56 PM

The EU still exists even if it's not canon. It never really was anyway.

Also the correct spelling is canon.

#6 Demas

Demas

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:19 PM

Yeah, might as well cite the hearsay (upon hearsay) more precisely... it is #301 and starts about 46 minutes in.  The podcaster spoke with FFG's Senior Vice President of Communications and Digital Business Steve Horvath regarding concerns over the Disney purchase when Horvath stopped him to reassure him:

"We're good, we're solid, our license is intact.  We are constantly talking with Leland and Pablo about different things... the relationship with Lucas Film is intact, it's not going anywhere." (again, hearsay, but as direct a comment as we have for now)  The podcaster then editorialized that with on-going product- particularly the RPG with on-going story modules- the material ought to be considered Legends irrespective of whether it actually receives the banner or not.

From a legal standpoint, I wouldn't worry... generally sophisticated IP licenses are built with an understanding that the licensor (the granting party) can change (as these are corporate entities that can be bought, sold, or assign rights and property) over the life of a license... Disney buying Marvel didn't dissolve or change the terms of Sony's license to Spider-Man or Fox's license to the X-Men, for example.  The caveat is if the license itself includes some editorial control in the licensor (and, for IP, they often do) and they choose to exercise it or exercise it differently... but the Legends announcement should only reassure you that there's an option to proceed rather that suspect their hands would be tied.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS