• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tesumi

Tesumi

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:31 PM

Hiya

Been lurking the forums for a while, planning to run a campaign for some new players in a few weeks and have been meandering my way through the rule books and various forums trying to understand the game. Got to say I'm really looking forward to running it, lots of cool concepts and ideas.

However I stumbled upon the advantage named "See The Supernatural" and I'm unsure as to what exactly it allows you to do.

On page 224 it says that the three fields considered supernatural are Magic, Psychic Matrices and Spirits, it also says that you apply the blinded penalty if you do not have the capability to see these things. Does this mean that when a spell is cast, ordinary people would be unable to see it?

I have a hard time picturing this conceptually, for example if a Wizard casts a Lightning spell on someone without See the Supernatural, would they not see a thing and then suddenly get electrified?

I can buy not being able to see ghosts, or a psychic matrix since it would make sense for them to be hidden from ordinary sight but being blind to a Wizard throwing balls of fire or large rocks simply for they are magical seems a tad off.

#2 greatbetrayer

greatbetrayer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:15 PM

Not all magical effects come from the wizard visually. For example, if a wizard chooses to cast without gestures or words either by taking the penulty or having the right advantages, it would allow a wizard to cast, say a healing spell or an illusion spell on a charcter or npc without the person ever knowing where it came from. However, if someone in the crowd had the see supernatural advantage, it would allow them to see the magic energy coming from the wizard and leading to the target.

Healing and illusion isnt the only thing but i dont have my books with me to provide more examples.

#3 hakootoko

hakootoko

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:30 PM

First you have to look at the type of spell. The types are described on pages 114-115, and say whether the spells are visible or not. Attack spells are visible by default, and Spiritual spells are invisible by default.

Some attack spells say they're invisible, like Fire 30: Heat Wave. If they don't say, like Fire 16: Fireball, then you default to page 114 where is says attack spells are visible.

Anyone can see a Fireball coming at them and try to dodge. Most people can't see a Heat Wave and have to make a Notice 180 or take a blinded penalty against it, but those with See Supernatural see the Heat Wave without rolling Notice.

#4 Latoshi

Latoshi

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:53 AM

spiritual spells are innately invisible unless you have the aforementioned advantage. But for the most part use common sense, a fireball will NOT be invisible. however as previously stated, someone with see supernatural would see the flow of energy and be able to see who it comes from.

Edited by Latoshi, 16 May 2014 - 07:53 AM.

People are not failures simply because they try and fail.

Only when they fail and give up have they truely failed.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS