Photo

Which Imperial ship is equivalent to the Corvette?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 Disgruntled

Disgruntled

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:25 AM

I've said this before, but I'll say it again:

I don't think the Empire will get any huge ships.  At least, not like the rebels just have.  I think the Empire will bring a different type of Epic play into the mix.  Maybe a Trench Run set that comes with laser towers and the like.  I think FFG can do better than "here's the Imperial version of the product we just released.  It plays the same... but different."

Whats wrong with similarbut different? Works great for all the small and large ships.

Because the Huge ships are not designed to be played in standard death-match games.  Because regular and large ships are, FFG needs to keep things balanced.  The two Huge ships are designed for Epic play.  There is no ship the size of these two in the original Star Wars movies that play a memorable role in the movies.

That being said, the Empire does have "Epic" things that could be introduced to the X-wing game with a little bit of creativity.  I think FFG would better serve the game if they continue to provide DIFFERENT Cinematic and Epic elements for the game.
But epic play is still a deathmatch. I could see some towers and such for cinematic play, but making epic into a senario style game kills the point of the distinction.

#62 Stone37

Stone37

• Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:30 AM

I've said this before, but I'll say it again:

I don't think the Empire will get any huge ships.  At least, not like the rebels just have.  I think the Empire will bring a different type of Epic play into the mix.  Maybe a Trench Run set that comes with laser towers and the like.  I think FFG can do better than "here's the Imperial version of the product we just released.  It plays the same... but different."

Whats wrong with similarbut different? Works great for all the small and large ships.

Because the Huge ships are not designed to be played in standard death-match games.  Because regular and large ships are, FFG needs to keep things balanced.  The two Huge ships are designed for Epic play.  There is no ship the size of these two in the original Star Wars movies that play a memorable role in the movies.

That being said, the Empire does have "Epic" things that could be introduced to the X-wing game with a little bit of creativity.  I think FFG would better serve the game if they continue to provide DIFFERENT Cinematic and Epic elements for the game.
But epic play is still a deathmatch. I could see some towers and such for cinematic play, but making epic into a senario style game kills the point of the distinction.

No, Epic play involves more than just a death match.  Even at the tournament level.  For friendly games, they are scenarios.  At the tournament level you'll find it is a battle of resources.  The time limit makes it a VERY different game.  VERY rarely will large armies fight to a "total victory".

Furthermore, the two Huge ship that are currently available are actually Epic in the sense that you are reminded of a memorable scene from the movies when you see them.  All of these EU ships being listed in this thread do not carry this nostalgia.  

#63 Disgruntled

Disgruntled

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:16 AM

The objective is still deathmatch; it feels like deathmatch only larger and longer (which is fine by me). Hell, there are a few list types that rarely see a game fit within the time limit anyway, but that wouldn't make it anything other than a deathmatch objective. You may play epic as scenarios in friendly games, but that doesn't mean everyone does.

The player base is split for going into epic anyway, and I'm pretty sure most who are that into the game are fine with EU ships.

#64 BenderIsGreat

BenderIsGreat

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:16 AM

I think we'll see the Imperial-type Gozanti from Rebels, as it ties in with what Disney/Lucas is currently pushing out. With the destruction of the EU a lot of what people are suggesting simply doesn't exist anymore, so we're left with what we've seen recently. 

• evanger likes this

--

and keep your shirt on...

#65 dojimaster

dojimaster

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:25 AM

With the destruction of the EU a lot of what people are suggesting simply doesn't exist anymore, so we're left with what we've seen recently. 

I'm not sure we know this yet -  not until Disney releases some kind of document stating what is now cannon and what is officially excluded.  I don;t think this has happened yet, has it?

#66 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:27 AM

I think we'll see the Imperial-type Gozanti from Rebels, as it ties in with what Disney/Lucas is currently pushing out. With the destruction of the EU a lot of what people are suggesting simply doesn't exist anymore, so we're left with what we've seen recently. 

I've seen this suggestion a lot, and I do like the ship, but both the official length and a reasonable estimate based on the scale of the TIE Fighters carried by the "Rebels" version get you in the neighborhood of just 40-45m. To me that's verging on a Large ship, rather than Huge--does anyone really want the imposingly Imperial ship to be half the size of the Transport?

#67 admiralcrunch

admiralcrunch

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:51 AM

I've seen this suggestion a lot, and I do like the ship, but both the official length and a reasonable estimate based on the scale of the TIE Fighters carried by the "Rebels" version get you in the neighborhood of just 40-45m. To me that's verging on a Large ship, rather than Huge--does anyone really want the imposingly Imperial ship to be half the size of the Transport?

I wouldn't mind it being a 1 point epic ship.

#68 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:00 PM

You want your opponent to have 5 ships capable of running you over for kills?

#69 admiralcrunch

admiralcrunch

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

You want your opponent to have 5 ships capable of running you over for kills?

I doubt they would be that powerful. 1 main weapon, 1 weapon hardpoint. The fluff says they are slow, but heavily armored. 5 of them lumbering around the battle would be interesting.

Edited by admiralcrunch, 20 May 2014 - 12:09 PM.

#70 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:12 PM

Have you played with Epic ships yet? Having that much lumbering death on the field would fundamentally alter the game and be relatively powerful. I would love to move my Firespray with epic rules. Or the Falcon. Speed be damned. Try it with a few Firesprays some time. See what Krassis can do when you can't approach him and he has a HLC. (Not sure how to handle the hard turns, but slow movement is pretty powerful)

#71 TomasB

TomasB

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:14 PM

Size matters not. We don't really have an official size on the Gozanti so it may end up bigger then we expect. Also, the Gozanti is a proper military capital ship so it could pack as much or more firepower then the CR-90.
  • evanger likes this

#72 admiralcrunch

admiralcrunch

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:45 PM

I'm sure they could balance it.

Have the point cost be high. At 70 points, you would only be able to field 4 of them with very little support at 20 remaining points. A tie or two, or a handful of upgrades to go between them. More likely you would see 3 gozanti's maximum.

That would work thematically to show the Empire's numerical superiority.

#73 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

I'm sure they could balance it.Have the point cost be high. At 70 points, you would only be able to field 4 of them with very little support at 20 remaining points. A tie or two, or a handful of upgrades to go between them. More likely you would see 3 gozanti's maximum.That would work thematically to show the Empire's numerical superiority.

Then why is it 1 Epic Point?

#74 admiralcrunch

admiralcrunch

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:04 PM

I'm sure they could balance it.Have the point cost be high. At 70 points, you would only be able to field 4 of them with very little support at 20 remaining points. A tie or two, or a handful of upgrades to go between them. More likely you would see 3 gozanti's maximum.That would work thematically to show the Empire's numerical superiority.

It's smaller than the transport. They could cost it at 2 epic points, but then you could only field 2.

It is probably just me, but since the rebels have a 2 point, and a 3 point epic ship, I would like to see the imperials get a 1 point and a 4 point.

#75 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:07 PM

It's smaller than the transport. They could cost it at 2 epic points, but then you could only field 2.It is probably just me, but since the rebels have a 2 point, and a 3 point epic ship, I would like to see the imperials get a 1 point and a 4 point.

A 1 point Epic ships is something I feel will be unlikely same with 4. 4 point epics can't be used in team games, which seems wrong. 1 pointers can clog the field, changing movement dynamics far too much. Even a single Transport on the field creates an aura of danger as far as manuevers go.

#76 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:29 PM

Size matters not.

Does, too.

We don't really have an official size on the Gozanti so it may end up bigger then we expect.

Wookieepedia's length seems to be based on a now-expunged post on starwars.com, which may or may not be canon. But it's pretty easy to estimate the size based on the TIE Fighters carried by the version illustrated in "Rebels":

tumblr_myhel8Ead41rab7ruo1_1280.jpg

Comparing the size of the TIE Fighters directly to the size of the cruiser itself indicates that the ship is no more than 10 TIE Fighters or 64m in length--but that must overestimate the ship's length to some degree, because the fighters are closer to the camera than the cruiser's keel. It's not clear to me exactly how much to dial that back, but it's clear that although it's certainly larger than that 41.8m, it's probably still close.

Also, the Gozanti is a proper military capital ship so it could pack as much or more firepower then the CR-90.

Every source I can find describes it as a refitted freighter designed to resist pirate attacks with heavy armor at the cost of additional mass.

Edited by Vorpal Sword, 20 May 2014 - 01:29 PM.

#77 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:47 PM

Gimme mah Vigil!

#78 Gundog8324

Gundog8324

• Members
  • 654 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:50 PM

If they give the Empire a ship the movies only showed in Rebel Hands I'll be very frustrated. The Nebulon B is a rebel ship or it isn't in the game. Doing otherwise is trolling the fans.

Or weeding out true Star Wars Universe fans from those who just know about the movies.  Not saying this to sound like because I read the books and Wookiepedia, I'm better than those who just watched the movies, but because most Star Wars fans realize that almost all of the Rebel Capital Ships (Except the Mon Cal Cruisers) were originally Empire ships, or ships that "fell off the truck" from various pirate gangs and planetary forces

Also if they stuck exclusively to the movies this game would be done after wave 3 and the Rebels would not have the Hwk lots of pilots would not exist (not officially named in the movies) many ships would not have their full capabilities revealed.  (Y-wings get blown up just as easily as X-wings, and Ties do in the Death Star run)

That said an Assassin Corvette would be a good equivalent ship, but I would still like a larger frigate that way a Rebel build could have  a transport and a corvette VS one of the Imperial frigates

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS