Epic play is...ok.

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:19 PM

So far the thing i took out of epic games is that the Huge ships abilities are much more powerful than their prices would suggest, and more widely affecting than they need to be.

• Aminar likes this

#22 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 698 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:22 PM

Such as?

#23 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:24 PM

So far the thing i took out of epic games is that the Huge ships abilities are much more powerful than their prices would suggest, and more widely affecting than they need to be.

They are effective. Can't really call the overcosted though. I love what they add to the game. Cannot wait to see what the Imperials will be getting.

#24 Effenhoog

Effenhoog

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:25 PM

it kind of seems to me that epic play is more for people who want to see big battles, whereas smaller games like the 100 point dogfight are for those who want to dogfight and focus more on the maneuvering of individual ships than organizing a whole fleet

I'm not super interested in epic play myself but I will probably at least try it out to use the big ships at least a few times.

Edited by Effenhoog, 15 May 2014 - 06:25 PM.

#25 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:41 PM

it kind of seems to me that epic play is more for people who want to see big battles, whereas smaller games like the 100 point dogfight are for those who want to dogfight and focus more on the maneuvering of individual ships than organizing a whole fleet

I'm not super interested in epic play myself but I will probably at least try it out to use the big ships at least a few times.

The individual manuevering matters at well. It just really changes up certain aspects of play. In some ways it's like playing 3 games at once. But those games can mess with eachother. In other ways it breaks down into a massive furball towards the end. Too many ships can really clog things up, but playing right can lead to some fascinating developments. That said, I feel like the big ships are where Epic play shines the most. I figured when i bought the Transport that I was buying it for the X-wing pilots and the cool model.
Then I played a pair of 200 point games with the Transport. They were literally the best two games of X-wing I have ever played. At the 100 point level I always feel like I'm running on empty, that every ship is key, and that everything hinges on that opening engagement. Support ships are tough to run, Synergy lists don't mean much, and abilities are too expensive to run fun combos with.
Epic Play is all about the kind of strategy I love. With my transport I can have Garven take that risky k-turn, and Comms Booster him to cut the stress. I can run 31 point Kyle Katarn and have him be an absolute Rockstar, passing out Focuses like Oprah giving donuts. My team can feel complete. But at the same time, all the manuevering still matters. Getting into position, staying at the right range, dealing out lethal damage first all matters. but I don't feel like I'm on the outskirts of a big battle. i'm right there in the thick of it.
  • Syleh Forge, shintaibane, catachan23 and 1 other like this

#26 Lord Ashram

Lord Ashram

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:52 PM

Anyone ever think that epic play would work better if, somehow, instead if the small ships being moved individually that they would instead be liked and move as one, like a squad? If done in some interesting and original manner, it might work, no? All while cutting down on time?

#27 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:28 PM

Anyone ever think that epic play would work better if, somehow, instead if the small ships being moved individually that they would instead be liked and move as one, like a squad? If done in some interesting and original manner, it might work, no? All while cutting down on time?

Eh... It doesn't work well with the way banks work. It isn't that hard to move 12 or so ships in a turn. Especially if you simultaneously move ships that don't risk crashing(Although you really have to trust your opponent to do this....)

#28 pgarfunkle

pgarfunkle

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:47 AM

I've played a number of epic scale games with a friend before the transport was released using all small and large ships and found them to be a lot of fun. We tend to play in the 300 to 500 pts range over a surface about 6ft by 3ft and the games do take a long time. In a way they function as several games at once as ships are grouped together in the initial few turns and then start to consolidate.

I've found that they really force you to consider your movements carefully and encourage planning several turns as ships can break from one engagement to join another and can catch you unaware. I've also found that due to the number of ships involved the effect of lucky dice on the game is somewhat mitigated as an unlucky couple of rolls will not generally cost you as much.

I've found larger games are great if you've got a free afternoon and if you are looking for a quick or couple of quick games in the evening then 100pts are the best fit.

I'm now looking forward to getting a chance to get the transport in on the action!

Watch your mouth kid, or you’ll find yourself floating home

Rebels: 6 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 2 HWKs, 2 YT-1300, 2 Transports, 1 Blockade Runner

Imperials 7 Fighters, 5 Interceptors, 2 Bombers, 2 Advanceds, 1 Shuttle, 1 Firespray

On order: 3 Rebel Aces

#29 Brian_Black

Brian_Black

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:36 AM

Though I haven't gotten the opportunity to play an Epic game yet, they felt to me to be more focused on the strategic, while the 100pt Dogfight was entirely tactical.  Reading some of these descriptions cements that impression for me; start with task groups, each one having their own strategic goals.  These strategies define the tactics that each group use.

• catachan23 likes this

#30 catachan23

catachan23

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:15 AM

Though I haven't gotten the opportunity to play an Epic game yet, they felt to me to be more focused on the strategic, while the 100pt Dogfight was entirely tactical.  Reading some of these descriptions cements that impression for me; start with task groups, each one having their own strategic goals.  These strategies define the tactics that each group use.

My transport will be arriving today, so I will be playing my first big game with Huge ships and I am really looking forward to it. 

I really like that in Epic you can break down your fleet into task groups with different goals and tactics.  Bombers with the objective of slagging the Huge ships; Interceptors with objective of flanking; and Firesprays and TIEs harrying the enemy at all turns.  Feels much more...um...Epic ^_^ to me than a standard 100pt dogfight.

• Aminar, pgarfunkle and That One Guy like this
"Sorry About The Mess." - Han Solo

#31 PhantomFO

PhantomFO

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:33 AM

Played 200 points yesterday.

My team:
Buzzsaw Shuttle
Bounty w/ HLC and Proximity
2x Royal Guards with PTL & Targeting Computers
Soontir w/ PTL and Stealth
Vader w/ Engine Upgrade & Assault Missiles

His team:
Transport w/ reinforce title, repair droid, Combat Retrofit, gas, and backup shields
Luke w/ DTF & R2D2
Biggs w/ Shield, R2F2
Garven
Rookie X-Wing with other shield- fixing R2
Gold Sq. W/ Ion

Between the map size and the tankiness of ships, it was 90 minutes before the first ship went down. By the time we called time, it was 3.5 hours, and I had lost one Royal Guard vs his lost Biggs.
REBEL: 3 X-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 2 Z95 Headhunters, 1 YT-1300, 1 HWK-290
IMPERIAL: 5 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Interceptors, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 TIE Advanced, 1 Lambda, 1 Firespray

#32 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:38 AM

My team:
Buzzsaw Shuttle
His team:
Transport w/ reinforce title, repair droid, Combat Retrofit, gas, and backup shields
Luke w/ DTF & R2D2
Biggs w/ Shield, R2F2
Garven
Gold Sq. W/ Ion
Between the map size and the tankiness of ships, it was 90 minutes before the first ship went down. By the time we called time, it was 3.5 hours, and I had lost one Royal Guard vs his lost Biggs.

Wow. When I played we lost ships within two rounds. It might be worth consideration that opposite corners are not effective placement in epic games.

#33 Syleh Forge

Syleh Forge

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:07 PM

My team:
Buzzsaw Shuttle

His team:
Luke w/ DTF & R2D2
Biggs w/ Shield, R2F2
Garven
Gold Sq. W/ Ion

Seriously, Woah.  I mean, if you're playing on a 3x3 this should never ever happen.  If you're playing on a 6x3...well you should be engaging fast still cause all the first 3-4 rounds are just movement.  I've played about a dozen games with the transport and the longest one we had was 3 hours, and everyone was dead but Vader and Soontir. Most people are heavily injured by the 4th and 5th round...  I just don't understand how it took 3.5 hours, and only 2 ships were shot at enough to die..

8 X-wings, 7 A-wings, 4 Y-wings, 2 YT-1300, 4 B-wings,  2HWK-290, 3 E-wings, 3 Z-95's, 1 Transport, 1 CR-90

14 Tie Fighters, 13 Interceptors, 3 Advanced, 4 Firesprays, 4 Bombers, 3 Defenders, 3 Phantoms, 1 Lambda

#34 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 698 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:20 PM

I think they played on the wrong board edge

#35 PhantomFO

PhantomFO

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:28 PM

My team:
Buzzsaw Shuttle
His team:
Luke w/ DTF & R2D2
Biggs w/ Shield, R2F2
Garven
Gold Sq. W/ Ion

Seriously, Woah. I mean, if you're playing on a 3x3 this should never ever happen. If you're playing on a 6x3...well you should be engaging fast still cause all the first 3-4 rounds are just movement. I've played about a dozen games with the transport and the longest one we had was 3 hours, and everyone was dead but Vader and Soontir. Most people are heavily injured by the 4th and 5th round... I just don't understand how it took 3.5 hours, and only 2 ships were shot at enough to die..
He put a lot of energy towards the Shuttle, which got down to one hull by the end before it got clear of the shooting area. Meanwhile, my attacks against Biggs featured more crits than I've ever rolled in my life, which were happily slurped up by Luke and repaired by R2.

He also didn't realize he could Jam or Coordinate at first, which game me more actions than I probably should have had.

Edited by PhantomFO, 16 May 2014 - 12:30 PM.

REBEL: 3 X-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 2 Z95 Headhunters, 1 YT-1300, 1 HWK-290
IMPERIAL: 5 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Interceptors, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 TIE Advanced, 1 Lambda, 1 Firespray

#36 Krynn007

Krynn007

Shinigami

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:11 PM

A spaceball one mini. That that would be epic
  • Soulfly626 likes this
Rebels4 xwing, 2 awings, 2 bwings,1 ywing, 1 Falcon, 1hwk, 1 ewing, 2 z95, 1 transport, 1 Tantive,
Imperials
6 tie/ft, 2 squints, 1 aces, 4 bombers, 1 tie adv, 1 shuttle, 2 Firespray, 2 phantom, 1 tie defender

#37 Lagomorphia

Lagomorphia

• Members
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:50 PM

Remember that the transport is only a support ship, and has very little offensive potential of its own. If it's spending its actions trying to defend itself, it's not aiding the other ships in a meaningful way.

Sure it is. If they're going for the transport they're not going for the fighters.

#38 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:00 PM

Remember that the transport is only a support ship, and has very little offensive potential of its own. If it's spending its actions trying to defend itself, it's not aiding the other ships in a meaningful way.

Sure it is. If they're going for the transport they're not going for the fighters.
If it's making itself a bad target its letting tis teamtaes get shot.

#39 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:03 AM

oh god i read that as "his team's tatas get shot" in my head for a moment before i just realized it was typos.

#40 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:17 AM

oh god i read that as "his team's tatas get shot" in my head for a moment before i just realized it was typos.
Sorry, touchscreen keyboards blow...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS