Large ships shooting at small ones

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yoink101

yoink101

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:09 AM

Is there a stat that allows point defense weapons to shoot at small ships without a penalty? I know that the fluff mentions something about some large ships having anti-fighter weapons. There is also stuff about large weapons like turbolasers not being able to track fast moving fighters.

When looking at the Nebulon B Frigate, there are a few different weapon entries.

There are 12 medium turbolasers that would presumably use the difficulties to attack listed on page 235 (so it would be a difficulty of daunting when firing at a y-wing).

There are three heavy tractor beam emitters which I think would use the same roll as the turbolasers.

But what about the 12 light laser cannons? Do those use the daunting difficulty as well and just hope to add extra shots? Or do they attack small ships with an easier difficulty because they are smaller weapons capable of tracking more quickly?

Thanks for the help!

#2 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:12 AM

There are some new barrage rules in AoR about creating a screen of fire to protect capital ships.
  • Ghostofman and iandimitri like this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#3 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:43 AM

The Barrage rules in introduced in one of the AoR beta updates are good. Otherwise the easiest way for a capitol ship to take down a smaller ship is roll each of the weapon attack rolls separately. The odds are in the capitol ship's favor that you'll hit them, even if the difficulty for each of the 10+ attacks are pretty high. For many reasons, I don't recommend this, but that options is there if you want to take it.

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#4 Luther Engelsnot

Luther Engelsnot

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:53 AM

Well there is also the Sidebar Starfighter Defense on page 267, which states that some capital ships have anti-starfighter weapons, typical laser cannons and blasters, that counts the silhouette of the firing ship as one less for the calculation of the difficulty. So this should cover the light laser cannons.

• HappyDaze, Ghostofman and kaosoe like this

German speaking Play-by-Post Forum: http://games.dnd-gate.de/

SL von
Black Crusade - Let the Galaxy Burn! | Only War - Things Can Always Get Worse | Rogue Trader - Lost Children | Star Wars: Edge of the Empire - Der verlorene Schatz von Nok Drayen | Star Wars: Edge of the Empire - Zivilisation ist kein Zufall

#5 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:14 PM

Well there is also the Sidebar Starfighter Defense on page 267, which states that some capital ships have anti-starfighter weapons, typical laser cannons and blasters, that counts the silhouette of the firing ship as one less for the calculation of the difficulty. So this should cover the light laser cannons.

Nailed it.

Not a massive difference, but smaller vessels like sil 5 and 6 can take care of starfighters and gunships pretty well this way.

• kaosoe likes this

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#6 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:20 PM

Good call.

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS