Lack of ship art in the splat books

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 yoink101

yoink101

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:09 AM

I was looking through a couple of the splat books at my FLGS the other day. I noticed that there were lists of ships with stats and no pictures along with them. Now I love star wars, but I have never cared to memorize what freighter letter-letter-random-numbers looks like. I know that we have the internet and it is easy to figure out, but it is a little bit obnoxious having to look up each ship to remember what it looks like.

Just a thought. The rest of the game is awesome!

• NicoJMont, Kshatriya, Ghostofman and 2 others like this

#2 Orjo Creld

Orjo Creld

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:23 AM

Plus, the artwork has been so awesome. But how did they not stat up an X-wig in the CRB.

• iandimitri likes this

#3 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:35 AM

Plus some of the ships without art are brand new. I would suggest sending an email via the main page suggesting they add this in further products. A few on the forums have done this, myself included.

I'm not sure what an x-wig is, but the x-wing is a rebel craft, and as such will be statted in the forthcoming Age of Rebellion core book.
  • Icosiel likes this
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of EU.

#4 PatientWolf

PatientWolf

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:39 AM

I was looking through a couple of the splat books at my FLGS the other day. I noticed that there were lists of ships with stats and no pictures along with them. Now I love star wars, but I have never cared to memorize what freighter letter-letter-random-numbers looks like. I know that we have the internet and it is easy to figure out, but it is a little bit obnoxious having to look up each ship to remember what it looks like.

Just a thought. The rest of the game is awesome!

Yes you can look it up on the internet but then you get the same image in return for searches on a gajillion different models of light freighter. 

#5 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:41 AM

With all the great artwork out there I'd just as soon look up a great piece and use that applied to a set of stats as opposed to being told 'this is what it looks like'.

• iandimitri likes this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze  and D&D 5E  Swords for Adventure

#6 OggDude

OggDude

I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon

• Members
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:46 AM

I had this exact problem trying to find pictures and silhouette images (gray images inside the firing arcs) for my char gen.  The popular ships are easy enough to find, although top-down pictures used to make the silhouette images are rarer.  Some of their choices, though, have limited web artwork available, which means I had to spend hours in GIMP coming up with a passable ship picture.  And the ones they make up themselves are basically impossible to get, unless you're an artist (which I'm not), or just pick some non-SW ship by fiat to become the new ship.

At the very least, they should include pictures for all of their own creations.

• That Blasted Samophlange, Brother Bart, Ghostofman and 1 other like this

Oggy

Get the latest SW Character Generator and GM Tools (Version 1.3.4.0, Released 10/30/2014) 

Drop BoxManual Install  Web Install     Google DriveManual Install  Web Install

#7 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:07 PM

Once again, let FFG know you want art for all ships. Imagine if we didn't get art for the races. As the saying goes: Squeaky wheel gets the kick!
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of EU.

#8 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:22 PM

I just want labels for the art that's there. When I see a cool picture of a neat looking ship, I just want to know what it is I am looking at.

• Brother Bart and LibrariaNPC like this

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#9 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:30 PM

But how did they not stat up an X-wig in the CRB.

Because smugglers and criminals and even bounty hunters don't typically have easy access to cutting-edge military aircraft. The Rebellion is basically a militia group prosecuting a war, that's why X-Wings were statted in AoR, not Edge.

• PatientWolf likes this

#10 Sylpheed

Sylpheed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:09 PM

I think drawing machines and buildings is a rarer skill than drawing characters.

I loved pictures like

336px-TheEnemyWithinJohnBlanche.jpg

SmallerPavis.jpg

in RPG books, but finding someone who can draw stuff like that seems much hard.

• Kshatriya likes this

#11 Brother Bart

Brother Bart

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

But how did they not stat up an X-wig in the CRB.

Because smugglers and criminals and even bounty hunters don't typically have easy access to cutting-edge military aircraft. The Rebellion is basically a militia group prosecuting a war, that's why X-Wings were statted in AoR, not Edge.

That, and they want you to have a few reasons to pick up the AoR book when it comes out! :)

• Orjo Creld likes this

#12 elicross

elicross

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:33 PM

How great would it be to have a Fantasy Flight Games "Big Book of Star Wars Ships"? Stats, exterior art, and a deck plan for a boatload of fighters, shuttles, freighters, and capitol ships you might use or encounter in both AoR and EotE? I'd pay pretty good money for that, just for the fun of paging through it and looking at all the pictures.

• Icosiel likes this

#13 Krieger22

Krieger22

• Members
  • 751 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:39 PM

This is pretty much my only complaint with the books so far. Having a line of text under each image saying "YT-1210 (left) and Skipray Blastboat (right) [...]" would be perfect. I have a pretty good working knowledge of what ship types look like from the D6 system, but it's still tricky to identify new ones.

• kaosoe likes this

#14 elicross

elicross

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:47 PM

By the way, as a guy who hasn't played a pen & paper RPG in ages, I'm wondering what the term "splat book" means and where it comes from. I tried Googling it, and I only found a series of children's books about "Splat the Cat." :)

#15 Split Light

Split Light

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:51 PM

I have to agree with the OP.  One nice thing in the old West End books.  They had ship stats and a picture next to it.  I don't need anything super deluxe.  Just a line drawing to give the basic look would be sufficient for me.

#16 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:01 PM

I have to agree with the OP.  One nice thing in the old West End books.  They had ship stats and a picture next to it.  I don't need anything super deluxe.  Just a line drawing to give the basic look would be sufficient for me.

Ditto here, even moreso than the weapons and equipment (though I do like having pictures of those).

Your ride is your identity, man!  :P

#17 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:36 PM

The Millennium Falcon. The U.s.s. Enterprise. Serenity. The TARDIS. All these vessels are chatacters in their own right. Sea going (and space going) vessels have been given names and gender because those on them see them as having a life to them. It is not a quantifiable thing. Not having art representing your ship is a disservice to her, whoever she may be.

#18 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

The Millennium Falcon. The U.s.s. Enterprise. Serenity. The TARDIS. All these vessels are chatacters in their own right. Sea going (and space going) vessels have been given names and gender because those on them see them as having a life to them. It is not a quantifiable thing. Not having art representing your ship is a disservice to her, whoever she may be.

"Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women!"  :D

jaws01.jpg

• That Blasted Samophlange likes this

#19 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

I like big boats and I cannot lie.

Gonna need a bigger boat.

#20 Deve Sunstriker

Deve Sunstriker

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:45 PM

By the way, as a guy who hasn't played a pen & paper RPG in ages, I'm wondering what the term "splat book" means and where it comes from. I tried Googling it, and I only found a series of children's books about "Splat the Cat." :)

Explained here: http://community.fan...ooks/?p=1049185

“I cast bad motivator on Darth Vader’s legs!”

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS