Modern Earthlike Planets in Dark Heresy

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Vorzakk

Vorzakk

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:37 AM

So with all of the very many worlds out there with human populations which have been cut off from the rest of the galaxy for thousands of years, it seems as though there are bound to be a few that resemble early 21st century Earth.  I’m not talking about recognizable nations or people or anything like that; just planets which have a similar level of social and technological development. 

So I guess my question is… what would it be like for such a world being discovered and then assimilated into the Imperium?  Or is it just too contrary to the intended tone of the 40K setting for such a planet to exist? 

In particular, what about the local technology?  I’ve always been under the (possibly erroneous) assumption that any technology that doesn’t come from STC’s is considered heretical.  Would the new authorities just start rounding up and smashing everyone’s computers, cell phones, and cars?

Related question:  what if the world was even more technologically advanced; say something comparable to Eclipse Phase or a typical cyberpunk setting?  How would the various entities of the Imperium deal?

#2 Cogniczar

Cogniczar

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:07 AM

http://warhammer40k....Civilised_World

#3 ColArana

ColArana

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:29 AM

Related question:  what if the world was even more technologically advanced; say something comparable to Eclipse Phase or a typical cyberpunk setting?  How would the various entities of the Imperium deal?

Well, these technologies are clearly heretical affronts to the Machine Spirit and need to be destroyed then.

#4 Vorzakk

Vorzakk

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:06 AM

Thank you!  That answers one question: yes, such worlds do exist.

Well, these technologies are clearly heretical affronts to the Machine Spirit and need to be destroyed then.

Yea, I can imagine that.  I guess my question then becomes at what point does non-standard technological progress become a problem that needs to be addressed?  And how exactly does it get addressed when the technology is heavily ingrained in the planet's overall function?

Edited by Vorzakk, 15 May 2014 - 10:06 AM.

#5 Cogniczar

Cogniczar

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:47 AM

When Macharius encountered Adrantis Five, the hyper-technological world that kept him stalled out for two years, he eventually redirected a comet and had the world destroyed. =D

• pearldrum1 likes this

#6 Boss Gitsmasha

Boss Gitsmasha

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:17 AM

Wait, so virus bombs and lance cannons did nothing, but a big ball of ice worked? I don't even.

"Oomans are pink an' soft, not tough an' green like da Boyz. Dey'z all da same size too, so dey'z always arguin' about who's in charge, 'cos dere's no way o' tellin' c'ept fer badges an' ooniforms an' fings. When one o' dem wants ta lord it over da uvvers, 'e says 'I'm very speshul so'z you gotta worship me', or 'I know summink wot you lot don't know, so yer better lissen good'. Da funny fing is, 'arf of 'em believe it an' da uvver 'arf don't, so 'e has ta hit 'em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot o' mukkin' about if yer asks me. An' while dey'z all arguin' wiv each uvver over who's da boss, da Orks can clobber da lot."

#7 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:53 AM

Wait, so virus bombs and lance cannons did nothing, but a big ball of ice worked? I don't even.

Virus Bombs, Macro Cannons, Lances, etc - they're actually pretty small, comparatively speaking, and they pack a concentrated punch. Blocking an enormous, relatively slow-moving ball of dense gas, ice and rocks aren't really as easy.

It must've been a pretty big comet, otherwise they'd probably just blasted it out of the sky.

Yea, I can imagine that. I guess my question then becomes at what point does non-standard technological progress become a problem that needs to be addressed? And how exactly does it get addressed when the technology is heavily ingrained in the planet's overall function?

There's no straight answer to that question. It depends on what level we're talking.

When you say cyberpunk, I don't think that would be a problem. Lots of Imperial worlds make use of cyberpunk-like features, such as the internet, virtual reality, hacking, Mind-Impulse Units, direct interface with computers, advanced programming, etc, etc, etc. Not to mention all kinds of bionics and implants. Having a "cyberpunk planet" just means that they are just ripe for being included into the Mechanicus. Hell, there being cyber-cults is already pretty much a staple in Cyberpunk. That said, once you go into AI territory, prepare for war.

When you say Eclipse Phase... I'm not very familiar with the system or setting, but apparently it allows you to do such wonderful things as "The ability to switch your body at will, from genetically-modified transhumans to synthetic robotic shells, optimizing your character for specific missions." Hahahaha, oh wow. I can't even start to imagine how many layers of heresy or heretek was in that one sentence. That's just.. wow.

Cyberpunk is yes with a side of maybe.
Eclipse Phase is a strong no with a side of possibly.

The first goal would be to bring the planets into the fold, either way. If either resists, it'd mean war, no matter what. After that, it's just a question of what social or technological aspects gets wiped out. Worst-case scenario, the planet is judged irredeemably corrupted and the population terminated and the planet repopulated. If in-depth genetic engineering and transhumanism is widespread, expect the latter.

Edited by Fgdsfg, 13 June 2014 - 03:05 AM.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#8 Vorzakk

Vorzakk

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:45 AM

Thank you!  That was the kind of info that I was looking for.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS