Named character psy ratings

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 lord inquisitor Iannise

lord inquisitor Iannise

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:03 AM

5,811,100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 laz gun shots averaging out at 8 damage would translate to a will power bones of 4,648,880,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 so in other words a metric **** ton!  

• ColArana likes this

#22 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:44 AM

"... more destructive than an exploding sun." and "Energies potent enough to level planets are unleashed" are clearly fluffy flourish and embellishment on part of the writer or person speaking. I sincerely doubt it's meant to be serious at all.

That being said, while I agree with Lynata above in most parts - in particular that while incredibly powerful, these beings are definitely (mostly) mortal and can be killed by a well-placed plasma shot, each with the proverbial Achilles heel - the God-Emperor and the Primarchs are clearly incredibly powerful, to the point where I maintain that tracking or discerning their Psy Rating is a futile attempt.

Even if there's just a kernel of truth, there is no doubt that the Emperor is the strongest human(-ish) psyker to ever live, and there's psykers capable of scorching planets in warpfire, opening portals through the warp to travel cross-planet (or more), and the stories speak of the presence of the God-Emperor projecting his presence and stature through the warp, making people bow before him before he even touches the ground of the planet.

If anyone is going to use these beings in the games, why even bother rolling, why even bother statting them? Having some sketched-up powers is good as a GM, but at these levels, they system itself completely break down. It doesn't matter if the Psy Rating is 40 or 4000.

Edited by Fgdsfg, 17 May 2014 - 02:45 AM.

• Lynata likes this

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#23 lord inquisitor Iannise

lord inquisitor Iannise

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:31 AM

I know it's hyperbole I manly just did the numbers for ***** and giggles.  

#24 Cogniczar

Cogniczar

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:31 AM

[The Emperor] gathers every particle of his power, focuses it into a mighty bolt of pure force, more coherent than a laser, more destructive than an exploding sun.” (White Dwarf #131, in reference to his battle with Horus). 

Other fun quotes from that same battle:

"Desperately, the Emperor summons his power and lashes out. Lightning flickers between the combatants. The stench of ozone fills the air. The Emperor leaps forward, sword raised. Weapons clash as battle is joined on every level: physical, spiritual and psychic.

Bolts of force flicker as mortal gods clash, balancing the fate of the galaxy on every blow. Runesword and lightening claw ring against each other with a sound like thunder. Energies potent enough to level planets are unleashed." (White Dwarf #131).

Emphasis my own. 

Which is hyperbole, and describing the physical fight between the two.

On the note of the Storm of the Emperor's Wrath, while I've struggled to find a direct citation there are numerous second-hand sources (notably Lexicanum) that state that it is widely believed by the Imperium that the Storm was created by the Emperor himself.

It might be true the Imperial citizens believe the Storm of the Emperor's Wraith to be created by the Emperor. It's also true they believe technological progress can be a heresy, and praying to the machine spirit of a rifle. Just believing something in-universe does not equate to factual truth. (although, due to the warp, some times it can. XD )

There's also the fact that the Emperor singlehandedly defeated the Void Dragon and imprisoned it in Mars. And given the Void Dragon was the most powerful of the Ctan which... you know. Were beings that ate stars, I don't think it's necessarily hyperbole that he could accomplish these feats of such significant power. Hell, as of their 5th Edition Codex, Necrons can blow up Stars themselves. And heck they have the Tachyon Arrow-- an infantry weapon that can punch through a mountain (or so the 5th Edition Codex says). 

The only mention of this is in the novel Mechanicum, from an unreliable narrator. Vis-a-vis it might have happened, but it probably didn't since there was no possible way for the Emperor to seal the void dragon on mars when Earth was still in technology infancy and no one  had achieved the capability of leaving it's atmosphere during the time of Saint George. =P

As far as Necron's blowing up stars, now that is apples and oranges. Please leave technological examples at the door in this petty arguement of psychic magic and doodads. =P

And yes, as Lynata said, perhaps this is colored by our own preference to how we like to see 40k. In my case? I like to see it in this light. A realm in which mortals are less than ants-- playthings of powers they can barely comprehend, and would die in an instant, should such beings so much as turn a glance in their direction. A sci-fi verse that is so grimdark, and committed to this, that it is straight up over the top.

True. We do see it in our preferences on the minutiae of details such as this. However, I do want to clarify one thing - I don't believe the Emperor was some psychic chump or anything. I just can't jump on the bandwagon that the Emperor was capable of destroying planets on a whim or focusing the power of a supernova when the only examples we have of his combat abillities are clearly using hyperbole to otherwise describe a very monumentous fight.

As for the "the supernova would kill the caster" it's noted that the Emperor kept the blast focused and controlled. It was not a raging explosion, it was a controlled and focused beam of power. And given that there have been later sources that suggest Horus was literally being possessed by all four Gods of Chaos at that time, empowering him? I can believe the Emperor was that powerful. I certainly can't see anything less than that being able to drive back the combined might of all four Chaos Gods.

Luthor was possessed by the four Chaos Gods as well, and in a battle that aped the fight between Horus and the Emperor occured between Lion El'Johnsen and Luthor for the fate of Caliban and the Dark Angels. The Emperor is certainly powerful, and has grown much more since his deification in the millennium to follow.

Well if that's true i can take the 10 octillion megatons of tnt from a super nova, convert it into watts then divided it by the estimated wattage of a laz gun(20 megawatts). Then take that number multiple it by the damage stats of a Dark heresy laz gun. Next using the Bio-lightning ability keep adding willpower bones till i get a similar figure. sound good? ;)    

That sounds fine. But in this context, how does that relate to psy rating? =P With your approach, I could have psy rating 1 and a super higher unnat willpower stat to pull that off - which goes right back to my initial posts about psy rating not being sufficient to capture the Emperor. ^^.

me ftw.

• Lynata likes this

#25 lord inquisitor Iannise

lord inquisitor Iannise

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:04 PM

The only mention of this is in the novel Mechanicum, from an unreliable narrator. Vis-a-vis it might have happened, but it probably didn't since there was no possible way for the Emperor to seal the void dragon on mars when Earth was still in technology infancy and no one  had achieved the capability of leaving it's atmosphere during the time of Saint George. =P

As far as Necron's blowing up stars, now that is apples and oranges. Please leave technological examples at the door in this petty arguement of psychic magic and doodads. =P

Death Watch page.194 The Gate of Infinity. Coincidentally this gives me an opportunity to measure his psy rating  which would be five 5 million to pull that off.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS