Which quests are 'impossible' solo?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:20 PM

So I'm trying to just knock out a heap of quests and actually put some solid hours into the game. I've hit my first snag, is Escape from Dol Guldur possible solo? Better question, is it possible trisphere solo?
I'll ask you all who are more experienced, so I can skip these and keep having fun. I'm ok with losing, even losing horribly. I just don't want to waste time if its deemed 'impossible' by consensus.
Also, what other quests should I look out for in the future?

EDIT: An after thought, do people think most quests are doable with a solid line up?

Edited by ZanzibarLand, 14 May 2014 - 11:25 PM.

#2 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:23 PM

Dol Guldur is possible tri-sphere solo, but of course needs a bit of luck.
  • OnkelZorni and ZanzibarLand like this
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#3 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:03 AM

I would not say impossible, people have done it, even I did it once or twice, but Dol Guldur solo is just annoying. Most of the games, you shuffle the decks and then lose in a round or two, without having a clue what you could have done better -- not for me.

• ZanzibarLand likes this

#4 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:07 AM

Yeah, I decided to skip it. I'll have another go later maybe, when I'm feeling super motivated and super obsessive.

#5 Snowhive

Snowhive

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:53 AM

Hi!

A trisphere Deck can win against Dol Guldur in a solo play. But there a some things, that must be in your favor. The Hero that is catched and the first three cards, they are guardening. So you must have luck.

This

http://boardgamegeek...only-cards-from

can give you an idea, how to beat Dol Guldur (only with core cards). Thats help me, to beat Dol Guldur.

Greetings

Snowhive

#6 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:28 AM

Yeah, this was never my concern. I do not mind difficult quests, Massing at Osgiliath has been my favourite since I got it though at first I was only winning every once in a while. Similar with Battle of Lake-town. But I do not think it is a good design when, unless luck is on your side, you lose almost instantaneously. Who likes shuffling cards more than playing them?

Side noting, without clicking at the link, I believe mono-Spirit has the best chance against solo Dol Guldur, Glorfindel, Éowyn, Frodo Baggins.

#7 Noccus

Noccus

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:34 AM

I've beaten it with several decks solo, but the only tri-sphere deck that comes to mind with which I've done so is Legolas, Glorfindel & Elrond. And yes, luck is a big factor.
"Not all those who wander are lost"

#8 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:55 AM

All quests can be done solo - but the ones to watch out for, apart from Guldur, are hmmm. .. return to mirkwood, with only the cards up until that point of course..as it gets easier with cards after it. I won it solo, with a rohan rush deck..but not after that.

I actually cannot think of more, the designers do a good job of making it all possible, I will just say like others, many take a good draw on both player and encounter deck ;)

• DurinIII, mr.thomasschmidt and ZanzibarLand like this

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#9 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:35 AM

Rich's point. All quests are "possible" solo though not all are equally possible!
  • richsabre and Olorin93 like this

#10 7theye

7theye

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:35 AM

I think return to mark wood nightmare is impossible solo. Dol guldur has been beaten by Glaurung on his YouTube posts

#11 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:14 AM

I remember i had to build an a very special deck to win Rosghobel Nightmare. And i had to try several times Hunt for Gollum Nightmare with one of my better general decks.

Edited by Mndela, 15 May 2014 - 09:15 AM.

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#12 CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:59 AM

All the quests are beatable solo - I've beaten every released quest solo. Some are much harder than others, but that just makes victory sweeter when it finally comes.

#13 Chris51261

Chris51261

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:12 PM

This is almost more of a question of "which quests are worth it solo." They're all doable, but Return to Mirkwood and Escape from Dol Guldur aren't really well designed for it. As Ana mentioned, waaaay too luck dependent. You basically know if it's gonna go well or end bad within the first 2 rounds, and you can't do much to change it.

#14 7theye

7theye

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:19 PM

All the quests are beatable solo - I've beaten every released quest solo. Some are much harder than others, but that just makes victory sweeter when it finally comes.

This includes return to mark wood nightmare???

#15 Chris51261

Chris51261

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:01 PM

Yes, Return to Mirkwood Nightmare included. It isn't very pleasant and requires a very specifically built deck, but beating Return to Mirkwood solo always required a fast deck and some luck on your side.

#16 7theye

7theye

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:11 PM

Yes, Return to Mirkwood Nightmare included. It isn't very pleasant and requires a very specifically built deck, but beating Return to Mirkwood solo always required a fast deck and some luck on your side.

Wow. You are amazing. I don't even think glaurung has beat this quest solo

#17 -nebur-

-nebur-

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:37 PM

Possible, if you have the luck, you need.

You can try it with a combination of "Timely Aid", "Sneak Attack" and "A very good Tale"...if you have many of them in starting hand and have luck with the allies you get, you can win it.

And the most important thing: much luck to get no "Tantrum"-card to discard pile (or just the 10-discard one).

#18 tacomen253

tacomen253

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:51 PM

Dol Guldur can be beaten possibly with the best cards and the best luck, but is it beatable with a minimal card pool... say just a single core set?

#19 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:55 PM

I might have to build a different deck for Rhosgobel, Elrond's sons and Glorfindel spirit aren't going to cut it.

#20 Sinamil

Sinamil

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:56 PM

Yes, with enough luck it can be doable solo with core cards only, even a single set.  Mostly you have to be very fortunate or rig it in regards to the prisoner (as Galurung did).  I did so when I got my first core set with Aragorn, Eowyn and Denethor but I was very lucky.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS