I'm Getting a Little Overwhelmed

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Monkerton

Monkerton

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:43 AM

I've been playing Fantasy Flight games for a while and they're pretty much the EA of board games when it comes to expansions. They definitely make a solid product but they'll be damned if they're noy going to make it a little better for ten bucks. I play lots of different games and Netrunner is one of them that I just started to get in to. I might pick up an expansion or two but I just found out about these "draw play" packs and rolled my eyes. I thought I was buying a stand alone game and FF touts how Living Card Games are NOT ccg's yet its starting to look an awful lot like one. As it stands I have the core set and I might pick up one of the deluxe expansions once I play the game enough to be as comfortable with the rules as I am with other games. But I'm not going to sink too much money into this game and FF is starting to actually scare me off.

The LCG format is nothing like the CCG format. This way you get all the cards without sinking hundreds of [appropriate currency] to get them, only for the sets to become invalid down the line (though that's mainly a Magic issue I believe). And they've never hid how the LCG system was designed to work. Core set, then expansions. They've been about for a few years now, so not a recent change designed to suck you in.

#22 Jeff Kaos

Jeff Kaos

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:38 AM

I'll Admit that I don't know squat about draft play sinse I don't really play a lot of card games but after rereading the product description of the starter deck where it clearly states that it includes a "random" selection of 40 cards I'm sure you can see where I might draw the comparison to a ccg. Why not market the draft play seperately from the regular game so as to avoid the confusion? But like I said I don't normally play card games and I don't know anything about draft play so I'm probably missing something here. And @ CommissarFeesh you're right it was aggressive but that's the internet I suppose. I have no problem with expansions and I totally get why they're made and I've been known to buy quite a few in my day. But I also play a lot, and I mean A LOT, of games from Europe and there's something to be said for buying one product once and recieving a full experience.

#23 Facilier

Facilier

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:38 PM

I'll Admit that I don't know squat about draft play sinse I don't really play a lot of card games but after rereading the product description of the starter deck where it clearly states that it includes a "random" selection of 40 cards I'm sure you can see where I might draw the comparison to a ccg. Why not market the draft play seperately from the regular game so as to avoid the confusion?

But... they do market it separately.  The packs specifically say Draft Starter/ Draft Pack on them, have a separate section of the website dedicated to them (http://www.fantasyfl...nner Draft Play), get separate release announcements: http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4813

Not sure what more they could do to avoid your willingness to assume they would just abandon the LCG model to become more like EA or somesuch. 

• CommissarFeesh likes this

#24 Jeff Kaos

Jeff Kaos

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:44 PM

I'll Admit that I don't know squat about draft play sinse I don't really play a lot of card games but after rereading the product description of the starter deck where it clearly states that it includes a "random" selection of 40 cards I'm sure you can see where I might draw the comparison to a ccg. Why not market the draft play seperately from the regular game so as to avoid the confusion?

But... they do market it separately.  The packs specifically say Draft Starter/ Draft Pack on them, have a separate section of the website dedicated to them (http://www.fantasyfl...nner Draft Play), get separate release announcements: http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4813

Not sure what more they could do to avoid your willingness to assume they would just abandon the LCG model to become more like EA or somesuch. 

You're right that the website definitely makes a distinction between Draft Play and the normal game but not so on the retail side, where my friends and I do a majority of our game shopping.

Edited by Jeff Kaos, 25 May 2014 - 09:45 PM.

#25 Monkerton

Monkerton

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:03 AM

You're right that the website definitely makes a distinction between Draft Play and the normal game but not so on the retail side, where my friends and I do a majority of our game shopping.

These days the assumption is you monitor your chosen games online, then buy them once you've made your decisions. If your local shop isn't splitting them up better, to distinguish between them, speak to the manager.

Anybody who's watching the game online, seeing what's coming and when, will know the difference and not have a problem making choices in store.

#26 etherial

etherial

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:00 AM

The Draft cards are packaged completely differently from the rest of the Netrunner materials and clearly say DRAFT on them.

Edited by etherial, 27 May 2014 - 07:01 AM.

#27 Grimwalker

Grimwalker

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:54 AM

It would seem that's rather moreso the fault of your FLGS.

#28 stevepop

stevepop

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:05 PM

Yes if you're not playing a lot the release pace will seem too fast. That's just how it goes. Free yourself of the compulsion to keep up if you don't want or are unable to devote much time to the game. It's cool.

#29 Rince

Rince

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:25 AM

Yes if you're not playing a lot the release pace will seem too fast. That's just how it goes. Free yourself of the compulsion to keep up if you don't want or are unable to devote much time to the game. It's cool.

What's funny is that I play twice a week (sometimes three times) on top tournaments every two or three months (plus regionals and store championships), which I think is quite a lot. Granted, we sneak in a little board gaming every once in a while during those Netrunner sessions, but still, we play A LOT of Netrunner. Yet, I still feel overwhelmed by the faster pace of the new releases. :(

Edited by Rince, 01 June 2014 - 07:25 AM.

#30 randomjack

randomjack

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:12 AM

Have to agree, I play every week and have all the expansions up to creation and control but they are coming too fast. No more for a while and hopefully I don't get left too far behind

#31 Jiggy81

Jiggy81

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:57 AM

You don't need all the packs or deluxe boxes to win. I'm missing C&C H&P and 4 spin cycle packs and still win plenty. Maybe wait for a few sets to come out and compare what you will use most. Alot of times when I lose, I don't feel like its coz I'm missing cards but due to a stupid mistake that was avoidable.

• etherial and CommissarFeesh like this

#32 Grimwalker

Grimwalker

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:57 AM

The more cards that come out, the less you gotta catch 'em all.  Print playtest proxies, build the decks you want, make targeted purchases that will enable you to implement your tested ideas.

• etherial and CommissarFeesh like this

#33 xodarap

xodarap

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:01 AM

I didn't even learn about LCGs until a year ago when I discovered NetRunner and I had a lot of catching up to do.  It really wasn't that hard but it was a lot of fun seeing what I had missed.  I think the expansions are coming out just fine, in fact it wouldn't bother me if they cancelled a couple of other "eh" LCGs and actually put that effort into NetRunner.  I think that may happen since NetRunner is the only LCG played here locally and by "here locally" I mean in the 2nd largest city in our state!  The stores carry NetRunner, Star Wars and I think I've seen LoTR too, at least before, but NetRunner is all anyone really plays. 

I wonder how many people actually play each game?  (In fairness our stores do a really CRAP job of promoting LCGs though.)

"Hastur. Hastur. Hastur. Suck it, my girlfriend is Science!"
-Will Wheaton-

#34 Kaijudo

Kaijudo

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:59 PM

I'll Admit that I don't know squat about draft play sinse I don't really play a lot of card games but after rereading the product description of the starter deck where it clearly states that it includes a "random" selection of 40 cards I'm sure you can see where I might draw the comparison to a ccg. Why not market the draft play seperately from the regular game so as to avoid the confusion? But like I said I don't normally play card games and I don't know anything about draft play so I'm probably missing something here. And @ CommissarFeesh you're right it was aggressive but that's the internet I suppose. I have no problem with expansions and I totally get why they're made and I've been known to buy quite a few in my day. But I also play a lot, and I mean A LOT, of games from Europe and there's something to be said for buying one product once and recieving a full experience.

I understand where you're coming from.  I had the same feeling about draft play.  I don't blame FF as much as I blame the gamers.  The gamers couldn't get passed tbe CCG format and they cried and begged for draft play and alternate card art.  I think FF had a great idea with the LCG formate, but they let their fans screw it up.  I have no problem with draft play as a fun way to play ANR, but I think it would have been better to just make a free pdf on how to create our own draft cube.  I don't thnk FF is some money hungry corp out to destory fun, I just think every now and then they need to tell fans to back off.

#35 otomo

otomo

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:18 AM

For those who are worried about playing with all the x-pacs and all that, especially those who are interested in just playing a game thinking it was standalone -- you're not looking for tournament play anyway, right? So play the core casually, get packs if you feel like it and it's all good. The game's fun no matter what. What's amazing is how many of the core set cards are still some of the best cards to play.  With this game, there's a lot more playstyle choices rather than power upgrades. There's a couple to be sure, but for the most part it's just tuning to what you like to do. Which is why it's so great! 

• Grimwalker likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS