House ruling a difference between Blasters and Slug Throwers

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:54 PM

Off topic a bit, but here's one thing that concerns me: the sniper slugthrower from Enter the Unknown (forget its name. Away from my book at the moment). The constant argument is that slugthrowers are ineffective against stormtrooper armor. Sure, that makes some sense for regular slugthrowers, but the sniper from EtU has Pierce Goddamn 5. That eats through nearly anyone's armor. How do we reconcile that? I have a player using one now, and with its Accurate 2 this thing is an absolute beast. I guess one could argue that it is a .50 BMG style round, but in that case, shouldn't it totally have Slow Fire and Limited Ammo?

Not having the book in question my assumption would be it is specifically designed to be armor piercing.

#42 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,179 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:58 PM

Oddly enough, while several members of my group carry combat knives rather than vibroknives, none carry slugthrowers rather than blazers.

We do have a bounty hunter that uses the Air Rifle with SmartTranq, but that's not really the same (and she has a blaster rifle for when the Air Rifle isn't appropriate for the job).

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#43 Joker Two

Joker Two

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:21 PM

Ideally, I've wanted slug throwers to run out of ammo quicker than blasters, but in order for that to be fair, I'd have to up their damage and I'm not going to do that.

I've always considered the higher Encumberance of many slugthrowers compared to their blaster equivalents to represent the weight of additional ammunition.

#44 FootNote

FootNote

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:39 PM

Ideally, I've wanted slug throwers to run out of ammo quicker than blasters, but in order for that to be fair, I'd have to up their damage and I'm not going to do that.

I've always considered the higher Encumberance of many slugthrowers compared to their blaster equivalents to represent the weight of additional ammunition.

I think this is easily taken care of by a utility belt.

"Everything Flows down leash...." -Anonymous 

FootNote's Custom Droids

#45 Jamwes

Jamwes

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:32 AM

Off topic a bit, but here's one thing that concerns me: the sniper slugthrower from Enter the Unknown (forget its name. Away from my book at the moment). The constant argument is that slugthrowers are ineffective against stormtrooper armor. Sure, that makes some sense for regular slugthrowers, but the sniper from EtU has Pierce Goddamn 5. That eats through nearly anyone's armor. How do we reconcile that? I have a player using one now, and with its Accurate 2 this thing is an absolute beast. I guess one could argue that it is a .50 BMG style round, but in that case, shouldn't it totally have Slow Fire and Limited Ammo?

Not having the book in question my assumption would be it is specifically designed to be armor piercing.

By sniper rifle, are you referring to the Model 38? That weapon is Accurate 2 and Pierce 3. I don't see any Pierce 5 guns in EtU. The Model 77 air rifle is the highest with Pierce 4. 

The description for the Model 38 does state: It chambers a powerful, large-caliber round with a specially coated penetrating bullet that can pierce even the toughest hides.

#46 FootNote

FootNote

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:04 AM

By sniper rifle, are you referring to the Model 38? That weapon is Accurate 2 and Pierce 3. I don't see any Pierce 5 guns in EtU. The Model 77 air rifle is the highest with Pierce 4. 

The description for the Model 38 does state: It chambers a powerful, large-caliber round with a specially coated penetrating bullet that can pierce even the toughest hides.

I do find it odd there is no "Limited Ammo" tag on the slug throwers in EtU. Outside that as the GM I would combat the extreme range with environments,  mist, darkness, being in the city, toss out some destiny points for a jam so the minions/nemesis/rival can close in faster.

Honestly its probably one of the better sniper rifles out there when you take into account the 4 HP's (See my other thread on this topic for irony)

"Everything Flows down leash...." -Anonymous 

FootNote's Custom Droids

#47 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:08 AM

Like I said on the Model 38 I think no listing for Limited Ammo was just an oversight as the write up says it has a detachable 5 shot mag.

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze  and D&D 5E  Swords for Adventure

#48 Jamwes

Jamwes

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:30 PM

Limited Ammo just means it's a pain in the butt to reload. Slugthrowers aren't limited ammo because it's easy to drop out the old mag/clip and slap a new one in there. 

#49 Sturn

Sturn

• Members
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:48 PM

Limited Ammo just means it's a pain in the butt to reload. Slugthrowers aren't limited ammo because it's easy to drop out the old mag/clip and slap a new one in there.

That's why I make them like Heavy Blaster Pistols instead - more prone to run out of ammo, but just as easy to reload as blasters.

Oddly enough, while several members of my group carry combat knives rather than vibroknives, none carry slugthrowers rather than blaZers.

Blazers_And_Lasers_Wiki_Banner.jpg

• 2P51 likes this

#50 LugWrench

LugWrench

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:49 PM

What about the occasional fear check?  Bear with me on this....
For the most part, just about everyone in SW has some kind of blaster, either pistol or rifle.  They're fairly common...most spacers and ground bound folk have seen them before.  You pull the trigger, it goes *ZAP* and vaporizes a small crater in whatever you were shooting at, no problems.
But what about the time that thug/mook/bad guy shoulders an auto rifle and empties a magazine?  For those that have heard an auto rifle on 'Full Tilt Boogie', its a sound you don't easily forget.  And then theres the shrapnel of the bullets destroying smaller items and gouging chunks out of larger items.  Thats a whole lot of 'Holy %*#&@&^ Hell!' released all at once.

The other thing is, what about when the party is sneaking into, or out of, or through a building, doing their best to be quiet...and they hear that soft *click* of a hammer being cocked?

Or the time your group is moving through an overgrown area....jungle, city, what have you...and they hear that sizzle of an incoming shot, followed by the impact and one of the party drops.......and THEN they hear the crack of the sniper shooting?

#51 segara82

segara82

• Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:30 AM

Good points LugWrench. And narativly well applicable.
Although you would only hear the sizzle after the bullet went past you. The bullet is after all faster than sound.
The other thing is: Most chars don't deal with old solid projectile weapons and would not recognize the *click* of the hammer as what it is.
Now THAT followed by a Full Tilt Boogie on the other hand would teach them well to fear it.
Do we have stats for an old assault rifle or do we have to make them ourselves?

Edited by segara82, 19 May 2014 - 03:30 AM.

Courage is the mastery of fear - not the absence of fear

#52 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:04 AM

I would just slap autofire on a slugthrower rifle, maybe one less cumbersome and a possible drop in damage?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS