Tactician and Decoy

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#141 iPeregrine

iPeregrine

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:44 PM

Wait I just noticed that... why on earth is Tactician so specific about Range?

Because the card is "tactician", not "easy stress for everyone because stress is awesome". Tactician forces you to use tactics and think about what range you want to be at: at range 1 you get an extra attack die to kill your target faster, at range 2 you do less damage but get to control your target's next move, and at range 3 you get even less damage but have better defense against return fire. Each of these options has its own advantages and disadvantages, and choosing the right one for the situation depends on player skill.

My guess was because both factions can use it. If it had been rebel only, it would have been anywhere on the board, and 5 stress tokens.

Let's not lose all perspective here. The rebel stress abilities aren't that good. The torps are a one-shot weapon, and the stress droid is a unique upgrade that can only go on ships that don't have very impressive stress-clearing options to deal with the stress you give yourself. A fairly cheap crew upgrade that gives out unconditional stress on every attack is way beyond anything FFG has done.

#142 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:53 PM

Because the card is "tactician", not "easy stress for everyone because stress is awesome". Tactician forces you to use tactics and think about what range you want to be at: at range 1 you get an extra attack die to kill your target faster, at range 2 you do less damage but get to control your target's next move, and at range 3 you get even less damage but have better defense against return fire. Each of these options has its own advantages and disadvantages, and choosing the right one for the situation depends on player skill.

My guess was because both factions can use it. If it had been rebel only, it would have been anywhere on the board, and 5 stress tokens.

Let's not lose all perspective here. The rebel stress abilities aren't that good. The torps are a one-shot weapon, and the stress droid is a unique upgrade that can only go on ships that don't have very impressive stress-clearing options to deal with the stress you give yourself. A fairly cheap crew upgrade that gives out unconditional stress on every attack is way beyond anything FFG has done.

That explanation of the range actually makes a lot of sense... great thoughts!  I also agree with you on the rebel stressing besides these exceptions: the torpedoes can still stress you even if they don't hit, which means they can be farmed by pairing with Munitions Failsafe.  And R3-A2 is a perfect pairing for Hobbie, as he can cause a stress (or two with the torpedo) and fly away without penalty.  But, this is one unique pilot among many that have no such benefit.  So, consensus is they can be used well, but none are game-changing.  I personally like the idea of Tactician paired with Gunner and/or Cluster missiles, even though that's expensive.  

But, really, great thought on why its Range 2 only.

Just another stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking Nerf-Herder bidding you, Fly Casual.

#143 iPeregrine

iPeregrine

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:09 PM

the torpedoes can still stress you even if they don't hit, which means they can be farmed by pairing with Munitions Failsafe.

I'd just like to point out that this is probably more of an imperial strategy than a rebel one, since TIE bombers are a much cheaper ship to spend on stressing but never doing damage and the bomber character is perfect for re-rolling hits and ensuring that you never lose your torps. Though TBH I'd just take a bomber with a pair of stress torps and not worry about trying to get an infinite supply of them.
  • Engine25 likes this

#144 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:13 PM

the torpedoes can still stress you even if they don't hit, which means they can be farmed by pairing with Munitions Failsafe.

I'd just like to point out that this is probably more of an imperial strategy than a rebel one, since TIE bombers are a much cheaper ship to spend on stressing but never doing damage and the bomber character is perfect for re-rolling hits and ensuring that you never lose your torps. Though TBH I'd just take a bomber with a pair of stress torps and not worry about trying to get an infinite supply of them.

I'm not even sure I'd play it that way... you won't get very far if you're not doing damage.  I didn't mean to imply it was a smart strategy, just that it's possible. 

Just another stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking Nerf-Herder bidding you, Fly Casual.

#145 Gundog8324

Gundog8324

• Members
  • 916 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:51 PM

I'm not even sure I'd play it that way... you won't get very far if you're not doing damage.  I didn't mean to imply it was a smart strategy, just that it's possible. 

Well remember the stress torps will give a Bomber an extra attack die so you do more  more damage then your normal shots and get the extra stress

• Engine25 likes this

#146 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:58 PM

A fairly cheap crew upgrade that gives out unconditional stress on every attack is way beyond anything FFG has done.

Toryn Farr.

#147 iPeregrine

iPeregrine

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:06 PM

Toryn Farr.

Epic-only. Don't care about it.
  • ObiWonka likes this

#148 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:46 PM

Toryn Farr.

Epic-only. Don't care about it.

also you do realize i was being facetious, right?

#149 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:22 PM

Same reason mercenary co-plot is?

#150 Sekac

Sekac

• Members
  • 550 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:44 AM

I like Tactician on Echo. Nobody has range manipulation like that.

I like Decoy on Coran Horn. Pass on PS 8 while he takes a smoke break.

• ObiWonka likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS