• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#121 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:54 AM

Question

One of the most popular uses of Swarm Tactics is the chain,  IE to bring several ships up to the Pilot Skill of an ace by putting the card on several ships.

Could Decoy work similarly?  It's function doesn't really seem conducive to that at first, but consider this:

Lets say you have three ships that got separated during the firefight, two of which have Decoy as their EPT.  You deem it best for one particular ship to fire first, but it neither has Decoy, nor is it in Range 1-2 of the high PS ship with Decoy.  It is Range 2 of the middle PS ship with Decoy which is Range 2 of the highest PS ship with Decoy.  Could you activate Decoy to swap the Middle and High ships, and then use the other Decoy card to swap the now highest ship (previously middle) with the low ship?

I'll try to make more sense of it in a Diagram

[PS2]-R1-|-R2-[PS6]-R2-|-R1-[PS9]

The PS9 and PS6 switch, and then the new PS9 and PS2 switch, so it becomes this:

[PS9]-R1-|-R2-[PS2]-R2-|-R1-[PS6]

Would this be possible?

Just another stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking Nerf-Herder bidding you, Fly Casual.

#122 dvor

dvor

• Members
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:07 AM

Would this be possible?

I think so.

ST allows chains. You replace a PS then use the new PS for the next ST card. Same with Decoy. You replace two PS values, then resolve the next decoy card.

On a related note, ST and decoy might result in nice combinations.

Edited by dvor, 15 May 2014 - 11:08 AM.

• Engine25 likes this

X-wing is played over a series of game rounds. Turn is a type of maneuver.

#123 dvor

dvor

• Members
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:19 AM

Wedge with whatever (like PTL&R2)

green with swarm tactics and decoy

Green uses both abilities on Wedge. Decoy first, ST second. Result: Both ships shoot at PS 9.

• Khyros, SableGryphon, Audio Weasel and 1 other like this

#124 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:32 AM

Green uses both abilities on Wedge. Decoy first, ST second. Result: Both ships shoot at PS 9.
Wedge with Swarm Tactics.
Green Squadron with PTL and Squad leader.
Stress ends up on the better ship for dealing with stress. They have to choose shooting Wedge, or the guy with more actions who gives Wedge more actions.

#125 dvor

dvor

• Members
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:36 AM

Stress ends up on the better ship for dealing with stress. They have to choose shooting Wedge, or the guy with more actions who gives Wedge more actions.

In that setup, green cannot SL Wedge.

Edit:

squad-leader.png

Edited by dvor, 15 May 2014 - 11:36 AM.

#126 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:38 AM

Edit:
squad-leader.png
Derp
Darn, thought it was less than or equal to.

#127 dvor

dvor

• Members
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:39 AM

Edit:
squad-leader.png
Derp
Darn, thought it was less than or equal to.

Even with equal to, green cannot SL Wedge: SL happens during the activation phase. ST and decoy resolve later.

#128 Khyros

Khyros

Advocate of A & E Wings Everywhere

• Members
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:47 AM

That's an interesting use of it... Given it doesn't chain and still requires R1 for ST.  And at the end of the day that's 22 points to get a 2 attack ship to shoot at PS9... Don't think it'll be competitive, but I like the thought process.  Keep it coming!

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#129 ObiWonka

ObiWonka

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:57 PM

1. May = Choose

Swarm Tactics is may now, too.

I guess somebody with critical hit powers would enjoy firing later. Still, just use Swarm tactics and attack with the other ship first.

Maarek Stele + Black Squadron Pilot Decoy??

Imagine a rebel build with an R3-A2 and a B-wing with Tactician crew.

Easy double stress a turn.

That X-wing with R3-A2 also has a Flechette Torpedo.  Triple stress.

I think we're all going to have to learn how to maneuver all over again. Going green to clear stress won't work so well when you've got 3, and you'll be super predictable. Time to learn how to use your white moves to get the **** out of Dodge.

Lol Kath can triple stress:

Flechette Torpedo + Tactician + Negating a Kath Crit. :)

Triple stress for everyone! Time to start flying Tycho!

Also, the fact that it can be put on the lower PS pilot, 'pulling' in the pilot skill, rather than on the higher PS pilot (who might well want another ability instead) to 'push' it.

This is pretty important, I think, as it makes your higher PS pilot a little less of a target. In addition to the Range 2 advantage over Swarm Tactics as mentioned above, back to Maarek and the BSP for a second - another important feature is that Maarek (or whoever your high PS pilot is) still has their EPT slot free.

Rebel: 4x A-Wing, 4x B-Wing, 2x E-Wing, 2x HWK-290, 4x X-Wing, 2x Y-Wing, 1x YT-1300, 1x YT-2400, 2x Z-95 Headhunter

Imperial: 1x Firespray-31, 1x Lambda Shuttle, 1x TIE Advanced, 2x TIE Bomber, 2x TIE Defender, 6x TIE Fighter, 6x TIE Interceptor, 2x TIE Phantom, 1x VT-49 Decimator

BEARFACE

#130 Stelar 7

Stelar 7

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:19 PM

Ooh tactician and gunner offer the ability to stress multiple ships.
Anyone else notice, Han says, "Keep your distance." So Chewie inspects the glass on the bridge tower. Wookies.....

#131 Eltnot

Eltnot

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:35 PM

Or double stress the same target.

• Deltmi and Engine25 like this

Carpe Jugulum

Spoiler

#132 Stelar 7

Stelar 7

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:14 PM

More if you start with flechette torps. Though that is getting pretty limited in ship use and high in points.
Anyone else notice, Han says, "Keep your distance." So Chewie inspects the glass on the bridge tower. Wookies.....

#133 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:46 AM

Yup I'd rather reap the benefit of stressing the same target twice.  I might drop this on a Buzzsaw Omicron.  Guarantee the second attack hits, and they're stressed twice.  I would say it's good on the Falcon, also, but the target has to be in front arc, which robs the Falcon's biggest asset.

Side note, it would also work with both attacks from a Cluster Missile.

Edited by Engine25, 16 May 2014 - 08:47 AM.

• jasonkw likes this
Just another stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking Nerf-Herder bidding you, Fly Casual.

#134 Red Castle

Red Castle

• Members
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:45 AM

I wonder how this Squadron will fare

Lambda OGP+Ion Cannon+Tactician+FCS+Gunner (33pts)

Black Squadron+Wingman (16pts)

Royal Guard Pilot+PtL (25pts)

Royal Guard Pilot+PtL (25pts)

Black Squadron fly with the Shuttle and remove the stress caused by all the red maneuver. Shuttle shoot with Ion Cannon, idealy at range 2 to give a stress token. If the opponent dodge it, the shuttle shoots again with a TL granted by FCS and, if at range 2, a second stress token. If the ennemy is ionized, you can stand still next turn and get your stress token removed by the Black Squadron wingman so you could potentially stand still during all the fight, as long as your Wingman is alive. Meanwhile, the two Royal Guards fly on their own and use their maneuvrability to disrupt the ennemy formation. Total is 99pts to help you with initiative.

Alternatively, if you prefer a maneuvrable Shuttle, swith Gunner and FCS for Adv Sensor and Engine Upgrade.

Edited by Red Castle, 16 May 2014 - 10:47 AM.

I'm a french native player so sometimes, some expressions or meanings might be lost in translation. I mean no disrespect.

#135 Gundog8324

Gundog8324

• Members
  • 970 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:10 PM

Silly question does that mean a named falcon with clusters, gunner and tactician can do 4 stress to the same target?

#136 Audio Weasel

Audio Weasel

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:12 PM

Silly question does that mean a named falcon with clusters, gunner and tactician can do 4 stress to the same target?

I think it would be 3 stress.  2 for the cluster missile attacks, and if they both miss, Gunner triggers a primary weapon attack for the 3rd.

Current Fleet:

Rebel: 4 A-Wings, 4 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290's, 3 YT-1300s, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wing, 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 4 E-Wing, 7 Z-95, 2 Rebel Aces, 2 YT-2400

Imperial:  3 Lambda Shuttles,  2 Firespray-31's, 3 Tie Advanced, 4 Tie Bombers, 6 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Interceptors,   2 Imperials Aces, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 TIE Defender, 2 Decimator

On Pre-order: 2 IG-2000, 4 Starviper, 4 Scik Interceptor, 2 Most Wanted

#137 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:23 PM

I think it would be 3 stress.  2 for the cluster missile attacks, and if they both miss, Gunner triggers a primary weapon attack for the 3rd.

^^This.  Actually, with Cluster and Gunner, you can even hit with the first of the two from the cluster missiles.  But, this is an expensive approach that kind of nerfs the reason the falcon is so good in order to deal 2-3 stress once.  While possible, I wouldn't advise attempting it competitively.

#138 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

Wait I just noticed that... why on earth is Tactician so specific about Range?

#139 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:54 PM

Balance?

#140 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:59 PM

Balance?

My guess was because both factions can use it. If it had been rebel only, it would have been anywhere on the board, and 5 stress tokens.

• BojambaMcMamba likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS