• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#81 Forgottenlore

Forgottenlore

Midnight Dreary

• Members
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:52 PM

I just thought of why Range 2 only, it prevents ... huge ships from using the tactician as a crew

OK, why does it do that?

I assume because a tactician would be plotting firing solutions in an ideal range band. 3 is more of a long shot, and range 1 is when a pilot's reflexes and instincts will be the deciding factor.

But why does tactician only working at range 2 prevent him from being taken as crew on huge ships?

Edited by Forgottenlore, 14 May 2014 - 11:54 PM.

• LeoHowler likes this

Thanks, Troy

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

#82 Sekac

Sekac

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:56 PM

Oh gotcha, I misunderstood the question you were asking.

Edited by Sekac, 14 May 2014 - 11:57 PM.

#83 Damoel

Damoel

• Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:59 PM

It doesn't prevent him, but it does limit his effectiveness in the one huge ship to have guns so far. The corvette has a min range of 3 on its main guns. The tactician can function with the quad lasers, but that is it, so far.

It is a good point, the tactician would be.... scary on a huge ship firing 5ish times a turn.

Fleet timez!

Anarchists: 6 A-Wing, 6 B-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 6 X-Wing, 3 Z-95, 3 E-Wing, 2 HWK290, 2 YT-1300, 2 GR-75, 1 CR90

Good Guys: 6 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/AD, 3 TIE/D, 6 TIE/IN, 4 TIE/SA, 4 Phantom V38, 2 Lambda Shuttle, 2 Firespray-31

#84 Dagonet

Dagonet

• Members
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:59 PM

Maarek, Rexler, I'd like you to meet Decoy. I'm sure you guys will hit it off.
  • Disgruntled and Engine25 like this

MajorJuggler's collection of useful links. A must for all players new or old.

#85 5-Cents

5-Cents

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:08 AM

Whisper (Tactician, VI, FCS, ACD)

Decloak

Move

Shoot

Target Lock

Apply Stress

Get Focus

Re-Cloak

...And flip the bird, we are Imperials after all.

Edited by 5-Cents, 15 May 2014 - 01:08 AM.

• catachan23 likes this

Rebels: 3x X-Wing 1x Y-Wing 1x A-Wing 1x YT-1300 1x B-Wing

Imperials: 6x Tie Fighter 2x Tie Advanced 4x Tie Interceptors 1x Tie Bomber 1x Tie Defender

1x Firespray 1x Lambda Shuttle

#86 Gundog8324

Gundog8324

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:17 AM

It doesn't prevent him, but it does limit his effectiveness in the one huge ship to have guns so far. The corvette has a min range of 3 on its main guns. The tactician can function with the quad lasers, but that is it, so far.

It is a good point, the tactician would be.... scary on a huge ship firing 5ish times a turn.

That was mostly my thinking because while not technically banning huge ships from using them it means most fighters will be too close for it to be fully utilized compared to the primary weapons

#87 trustybroom

trustybroom

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:28 AM

The thing I like about Tactician is it requires your enemy to make a choice, each one of them bad:

1. They can stay at range 3 of you, where you will get an extra defense die.
  2. They can stay at range 2, where you will stress them when you shoot.
  3. They can stay at range 1, where you'll get an extra attack die against them.

Not too shabby for a 2 point card.

• jasonkw and Engine25 like this

#88 Ravncat

Ravncat

• Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:27 AM

Tactician is fairly interesting on a HWK with no turret - as tactician doesn't have to hit to trigger.... it gives you a stress attack - no damage, but not terrible...    Give the HWK an ion cannon and then you get yourself into giving stress and ion tokens at the same time.

#89 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

The Empire Needs You!

• Members
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:21 AM

Decoy, as noted, is a larger bubble than swarm tactics. That alone makes it worthwhile.

Also, the fact that it can be put on the lower PS pilot, 'pulling' in the pilot skill, rather than on the higher PS pilot (who might well want another ability instead) to 'push' it.

Lastly, swapping the ability may help depending on who the higher PS pilot is. As noted, someone like Maarek Stele likes the option to fire after someone's cleared shields for him. Equally, a pilot with Opportunist likes to fire after his wingman, forcing you to spend evade/focus tokens against that shot and opening yourself up to his extra attack die shot.

• Hinnyboy and Engine25 like this

#90 Rhinoviru3

Rhinoviru3

• Members
  • 466 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:23 AM

Haha! 'Decoy' Is the cover art of X-Wing: Solo's Command.

Thanks for the share!

Rebels: 4X, 2Y, 2B, 2A, 2Hwk, 2YT, 1GR-75, 2E, 4Z, 1x YT-2400,
(See my Rebels paint thread here!)

Empire: 5x TIE/ln, 3x TIE/sa, 4x TIE/Int, 1x TIE/A, 1x F-31, 1x Lambda, 3x TIE/Pha, 1x TIE/D
(And my Imperial paint thread here!)

#91 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:42 AM

Soo uh, Kath Scarlet, with Rebel Captive, Title + Flechette Torpedoes and Tactician = rage generator?

#92 nekomatafuyu

nekomatafuyu

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:59 AM

Tactician with Cluster Missiles could also be a fun combo :)

Is there any ships that allow you 2 crew slots and a missile slot? If so, that could lead to 3 stress in a single attack:

- First cluster missile attack.

- Second cluster missile attack.

- If the second attack misses, another attack from a gunner.

I'm guessing you could also combine this with a Munitions Failsafe, for even more fun and games...

• catachan23 likes this

Imperial: 5x TIE/LN, 3x TIE/IN, 3x TIE/sa, 1x TIE/x1, 1x TIE/D, 1x TIE Phantom, 2x Lambda, 1x Firespray, 1x VT-49
Rebel: 4x X-Wing, 1x Y-Wing, 2x A-Wing, 1x B-Wing, 1x YT-1300, 1xYT-2400

Pending: 1x HWK-290, 1xTIE/x1, 1x Raider

#93 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:32 AM

Tactician with Cluster Missiles could also be a fun combo :)

Is there any ships that allow you 2 crew slots and a missile slot? If so, that could lead to 3 stress in a single attack:

- First cluster missile attack.

- Second cluster missile attack.

- If the second attack misses, another attack from a gunner.

I'm guessing you could also combine this with a Munitions Failsafe, for even more fun and games...

Named Falcons, but most people consider the roflstompy enough that missiles aren't usually a great option.

#94 Ravncat

Ravncat

• Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:42 AM

really wish the ORS could carry missiles.

• TK4334 likes this

#95 McBain

McBain

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:59 AM

So Chewie with Tactician x 2 and Cluster Missiles will dish out 4 stress tokens with the missile attack and 2 normally when in arc (range 2)?! Interesting.

Edited by McBain, 15 May 2014 - 04:59 AM.

• hecabomb and Khyros like this

#96 Dagonet

Dagonet

• Members
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:25 AM

Wedge, opportunist
Luke, veteran instincts
Wes, decoy
Assorted astromechs

Wes always shoots first, and if he's gone, Luke still shoots before Wedge

Edited by Dagonet, 15 May 2014 - 05:27 AM.

MajorJuggler's collection of useful links. A must for all players new or old.

#97 Red Castle

Red Castle

• Members
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:16 AM

2 omicrons EU, 2 tacticians each

Whisper ACD, Decoy, FCS

=98

EDIT had two EPT's

Drop Decoy and FCS. Add Ion Cannons to the Lambdas. Fire at Range 2 for 2 stress and an Ion to whatever you attack. Then Whisper can chew on their tail with impunity.

That's a nasty build for the shuttle that I'll try for sure! Maybe go for the gunner instead. First shot with the Ion Cannon to give a stress and a ion token. If it miss, you have the consolation of giving a second stress token and maybe giving more damage. That will force your opponent to think twice about using their token on the first shot instead of just taking the damage and let it go. 

OGP+Ion Cannon+Tactician+Gunner+Engine Upgrade=35pts (Gunner is optionnal)

I'm a french native player so sometimes, some expressions or meanings might be lost in translation. I mean no disrespect.

#98 Jehan Menasis

Jehan Menasis

• Members
  • 653 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:20 AM

Both cards are pretty nice for the cost, and I'm sure we'll find very good uses for them.

BTW, I'm no longer sure that I have enough stress tokens on my collection to keep playing this game without using proxies...

#99 Redblock

Redblock

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:25 AM

Buy a-wings, they give lots of stress tokens

#100 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:33 AM

Soo uh, Kath Scarlet, with Rebel Captive, Title + Flechette Torpedoes and Tactician = rage generator?

Firespray only has one Crew seat.  Gonna have to pick between Rebel Captive or Tactician.

• jasonkw likes this
Just another stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking Nerf-Herder bidding you, Fly Casual.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS