Tactician and Decoy

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#61 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:31 PM

Tactician is cleverly worded so that the Falcon only gets the bonus in the front 90 degrees, which is a relief. The firespray, on the other hand, counts both front and rear arcs. Very nice. I think it's cool that the firespray's fire arc get at least some tiny advantage over a 360 degree turret.

Are you sure?... Thought firespray has a dotted rear arc indicating similar rules as yt arc.

Yes, it's a strange ruling but the auxiliary arc on the Firespray counts as a standard firing arc, but the 360 on the Falcon does not.

Just another stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking Nerf-Herder bidding you, Fly Casual.

#62 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:33 PM

Imagine a rebel build with an R3-A2 and a B-wing with Tactician crew.

Easy double stress a turn.

That X-wing with R3-A2 also has a Flechette Torpedo.  Triple stress.

• ObiWonka likes this
Just another stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking Nerf-Herder bidding you, Fly Casual.

#63 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:36 PM

Am I the only one who thinks it's strange that Tactician works at Range 2 Only?  I guess its no different than Range 1 or Range 3, its just unusual that something is Range 2 and not also 1 or 3.

#64 hecabomb

hecabomb

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:49 PM

Am I the only one who thinks it's strange that Tactician works at Range 2 Only?  I guess its no different than Range 1 or Range 3, its just unusual that something is Range 2 and not also 1 or 3.

I guess they wanted to nerf it a little.

#65 Caadium

Caadium

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:50 PM

I saw it as a way to give Rang 2 something unique (beyond no bonus attack/defense dice).

• Engine25 likes this

#66 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:52 PM

I guess they wanted to nerf it a little.

Fair, but is it any harder to keep something at range 2 than range 3 or range 1?

#67 Darth evil

Darth evil

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:16 PM

just imagine how hard it is going to be to get the large ships at range 2,i have this feeling that Tactician will rarely be used except maybe on a B-wing once Rebel aces comes out.

Empire ships: Tie Fighter x7, Tie Interceptor x6, Tie Advanced,Tie Bombers x4,Lambda Shuttle ,Firespray,Tie Phantom x3, Tie Defender x2, VT-49 Decimator x2

Rebel Ships:X-wing x4,B-wing x3,Y-wing x2, A-wing x2, YT-1300,E-wing x1,YT-2400x1

#68 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:20 PM

A thought. What do the rules say about something be at range 1 and 2? As in the base resides at both... I'm assuming the lowest range is always picked because measurement is from closest point to closest point. But I almost feel like it should be up to the attacker what range they are firing at...
But that would really change the range 2-3 Ordnance(something they could probably use anyway...)

#69 Joker Two

Joker Two

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:26 PM

A thought. What do the rules say about something be at range 1 and 2? As in the base resides at both... I'm assuming the lowest range is always picked because measurement is from closest point to closest point. But I almost feel like it should be up to the attacker what range they are firing at...
But that would really change the range 2-3 Ordnance(something they could probably use anyway...)

Closest point (in arc, when it's relevant).

#70 Gundog8324

Gundog8324

• Members
  • 916 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:36 PM

Decoy Could be very useful for Garven Dreis too because his ability is when he spends it.

Garven with R2-D6 + Decoy

Wedge-Opportunist/r2 anyone

maybe add in another PS6+ pilot

Also Roark's ability being R3 hitting a decoy which could then extend it by R2 again means a nice R5, Or even just using Roark on a Green Squad with Decoy bumps the Green Squad to PS 4 and Roark to 12

• LeoHowler and Sekac like this

#71 McBain

McBain

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:39 PM

Decoy might be nice with Corran Horn and a low PS type. Shoot twice after everyone else has to possibly finish 1-2 ships off.
  • LeoHowler and ObiWonka like this

#72 Jo Jo

Jo Jo

• Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:42 PM

God I wish Tactician was damn Imperial only.  

"And then, we'll remind the Rebellion what war is all about." 

#73 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 3,475 posts

Already answered, but...

"'At' means the closest part of the target’s base touches that range section. For example, when attacking a ship whose base touches both Range 2 and Range 3, that ship is at Range 2."

That means you cannot use Tactician on a ship straddling Range 1 and 2.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH, 14 May 2014 - 10:44 PM.

It's not easy being green.

#74 Deltmi

Deltmi

• Members
  • 540 posts

The only problem with decoy is that you're exposing the high PS pilot to getting killed before he shoots. Of course you'll want to use decoy when the high PS can't get shot at. 

Rebel Alliance: 5 [X-Wing], 2 [Y-Wing], 2 [A-Wing], 3 [B-Wing], 2 [HWK-290], 1 [YT-1300], 1 [GR75 Transport], 1 [CR90 Corvette], 4 [Z-95], 2 [E-Wing]

Empire: 8 [Tie Fighter], 3 [Tie Advanced], 3 [Tie Interceptor], 3 [Tie Bomber], 1 [Firespray-31], 1 [Lambda Shuttle], 1 [Imperial Aces], 2 [Tie Phantom], 2 [Tie Defender]

#75 McBain

McBain

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:58 PM

Ok, just thought of a potentially decent application for Decoy. Phantom/Jake/Turr counter.

You could spread your guys to cover maximum arc with your Decoy ace in the middle. That way you have maximum opportunity to shoot before the Phantom can ACD, or before Turr/Jake can Boost/Barrel out of arc. Similar to ST but more flexible. Eg:

........…………..Y-Wing, Ion
B-Wing…….…………….………B-Wing
……...............Wedge, Decoy

Edited by McBain, 14 May 2014 - 11:01 PM.

#76 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:59 PM

The only problem with decoy is that you're exposing the high PS pilot to getting killed before he shoots. Of course you'll want to use decoy when the high PS can't get shot at. 

True but someone like Luke or a defensive build on someone else doesn't really have to worry about that too much.

#77 Zoccola

Zoccola

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:06 PM

Lol Kath can triple stress:

Flechette Torpedo + Tactician + Negating a Kath Crit. :) 

• ObiWonka likes this

Rebels: 6 Xwing, 3 Ywings, 2 Awings, 1 YT-1300, 1 HWK, 4 Bwings, 2 Ewings, 4 Z95s

Empire: 8 TIEs, 4 Interceptors, 2 Advanced, 2 Firesprays, 2 Bombers, 1 Shuttle, 2 Phantoms, 3 Defenders

Scum: 4 Z95, 3 Ywings, 1 HWK, 2 Firesprays

#78 Gundog8324

Gundog8324

• Members
  • 916 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:13 PM

I just thought of why Range 2 only, it prevents range one stress adding and preventing huge ships from using the tactician as a crew

#79 Forgottenlore

Forgottenlore

Midnight Dreary

• Members
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:15 PM

I just thought of why Range 2 only, it prevents ... huge ships from using the tactician as a crew

OK, why does it do that?

Edited by Forgottenlore, 14 May 2014 - 11:15 PM.

Thanks, Troy

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

#80 Sekac

Sekac

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:49 PM

I just thought of why Range 2 only, it prevents ... huge ships from using the tactician as a crew

OK, why does it do that?

I assume because a tactician would be plotting firing solutions in an ideal range band. 3 is more of a long shot, and range 1 is when a pilot's reflexes and instincts will be the deciding factor.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS