wanting to create a gunslinger style character

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:23 AM

even if the other guy draws first if you knew he wanted to it is a cool roll.

You might know he's going to, but not exactly when.  That's Vigilance to me...noting when things change.  The case could be made for Cool to *not* draw first, and in a duel there could be a range of ways to incorporate other skills as well.  There was a duelling thread in the GM forum that had some good ideas:

http://community.fan...lling-mechanic/

#22 Lancer999

Lancer999

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:34 AM

If you are a patient person, I would wait until the Smuggler's Book comes out, and see what they are going to do w/ the other specializations for Smuggling.  I agree w/ what everyone is saying.  My PC is a Human Pilot w/ 4 Agl and I wield 2 modified Blasters and I want to have a Gunslinger mentality too.  I am the 2nd Big gun in our group.  But I will have to be Patient so I can get the other talents I want w/o going into the Scoundrel tree.

#23 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:36 AM

It really does boil down to taste and how you envision your character at this point.  We don't have the equivalent yet of "Rain of Death" like we do for Autofire in HG/Heavy to really be able to point a finger and say 'Gunslinger'.

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#24 Lancer999

Lancer999

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:45 AM

@ 2P51...So w/ my PC say since I am a Pilot 1st, Big Gun 2nd, you would use the 2nd Specialization for Scoundrel??  Or wait until the Smuggling book comes out?

#25 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 923 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:50 AM

even if the other guy draws first if you knew he wanted to it is a cool roll.

You might know he's going to, but not exactly when.  That's Vigilance to me...noting when things change.  The case could be made for Cool to *not* draw first, and in a duel there could be a range of ways to incorporate other skills as well.  There was a duelling thread in the GM forum that had some good ideas:

http://community.fan...lling-mechanic/

Well Cool is described as a being prepared, with the example of an ambush, Vigilance states "outside of when the character is carefully prepared for combat". I would say in the case of something like a dual or tense standoff the gm should let a player choose their best of the two, you are ready, as dictated by cool, but you aren't the main acting force on when and how the encounter begins, as per vigilance.

• Hygric likes this

#26 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:53 AM

Fair enough

#27 ccarlson101

ccarlson101

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:14 AM

At our table, my policy is that a PC is generally entitled to use either of the two initiative skills (their choice) during "standard" encounters where it is reasonable something is going down. Under circumstances where they are genuinely surprised or caught off guard, it goes to Vigilance.

Sure, this does give Vigilance a bit more oomph during the course of play. But I find Cool overall to be the more useful skill*, so I think that's okay.

(*recovering strain after encounters, gambling, resisting charm and negotiate, etc.)

That's SCIENCE!

#28 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:43 AM

I was looking to do this myself, and besides the aforementioned Scoundrel, the Bounty Hunter: Gadgeteer stood out to me. A lot of that is because blaster pistols are generally on the lower end of the damage scale. The Gadgeteer can tweak them out to do near rifle-level damage. 

Plus, I liked the extra story potential of being a gunslinger-via-gun nerd. 

I would consider it as a great pair with Scoundrel.

• Col. Orange likes this

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

#29 Col. Orange

Col. Orange

• Members
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:49 AM

I was going to object to you calling my character a nerd, but they have precisely 1 skill above 3 - Mechanics 5 - so yeah, nerd.  ;)

Edited by Col. Orange, 15 May 2014 - 09:50 AM.

What's written above is meant with love

#30 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:56 AM

I was going to object to you calling my character a nerd, but they have precisely 1 skill above 3 - Mechanics 5 - so yeah, nerd.  ;)

Great minds think alike.

... except when you steal my ideas, you idea thief! Your game is based on a lie!

(The OP is, of course, free to steal that idea)

;)

• Col. Orange and Jamwes like this

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

#31 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

@ 2P51...So w/ my PC say since I am a Pilot 1st, Big Gun 2nd, you would use the 2nd Specialization for Scoundrel??  Or wait until the Smuggling book comes out?

Whats your Range(L)? You could raise that. Work on a Dedication and raise Agility if you need to. To me Quickstrike isnt great and Rapid Reaction not indispensable.

#32 Lancer999

Lancer999

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:24 AM

Whats your Range(L)? You could raise that. Work on a Dedication and raise Agility if you need to. To me Quickstrike isnt great and Rapid Reaction not indispensable.

4  Agl, Pilot Space - 5, Range Lt - 4...No other gun type skills, but lots of Pilot skills. 

#33 Luther Engelsnot

Luther Engelsnot

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

At our table, my policy is that a PC is generally entitled to use either of the two initiative skills (their choice) during "standard" encounters where it is reasonable something is going down. Under circumstances where they are genuinely surprised or caught off guard, it goes to Vigilance.

Sure, this does give Vigilance a bit more oomph during the course of play. But I find Cool overall to be the more useful skill*, so I think that's okay.

(*recovering strain after encounters, gambling, resisting charm and negotiate, etc.)

I could be mistaken, but isn't recovering strain after encounters a cool or discipline check?

Edited by Luther Engelsnot, 15 May 2014 - 11:31 AM.

• Jamwes likes this

German speaking Play-by-Post Forum: http://games.dnd-gate.de/

SL von
Black Crusade - Let the Galaxy Burn! | Deathwatch - Eternal Vigil | Only War - Things Can Always Get Worse | Rogue Trader - Lost Children | Star Wars: Edge of the Empire - Der verlorene Schatz von Nok Drayen

#34 ccarlson101

ccarlson101

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:36 AM

I could be mistaken, but isn't recovering strain after encounters a cool or discipline check?

Yes it is. But I'm not sure how that invalidates my list of useful things Cool can do...

That's SCIENCE!

#35 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:54 AM

4  Agl, Pilot Space - 5, Range Lt - 4...No other gun type skills, but lots of Pilot skills.
For all practical purposes you are a gunslinger then Id say. Probably just best to wait for a specific spec if we get one.

#36 Luther Engelsnot

Luther Engelsnot

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:55 AM

My goal was not to invalidate that list, just to clarify, that this is not an application only for cool.

German speaking Play-by-Post Forum: http://games.dnd-gate.de/

SL von
Black Crusade - Let the Galaxy Burn! | Deathwatch - Eternal Vigil | Only War - Things Can Always Get Worse | Rogue Trader - Lost Children | Star Wars: Edge of the Empire - Der verlorene Schatz von Nok Drayen

#37 Lancer999

Lancer999

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

For all practical purposes you are a gunslinger then Id say. Probably just best to wait for a specific spec if we get one.

Yeah, that's what I think as well...I just don't want to invest 20xp on Scoundrel just for 3 or 4 talents, when if they make a Tree (Gunslinger) I can get a lot more talents.  Cuz then I waste 16 other talents I don't want for the 3 or 4 that I do.  Best to stay w/ Pilot and make him badass in that respect, and wait.  Thanks :)

#38 LordBritish

LordBritish

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:05 AM

I was looking to do this myself, and besides the aforementioned Scoundrel, the Bounty Hunter: Gadgeteer stood out to me. A lot of that is because blaster pistols are generally on the lower end of the damage scale. The Gadgeteer can tweak them out to do near rifle-level damage.

I would consider it as a great pair with Scoundrel.

It was exactly how I did it. Only I have 5 int, 3agi (ship machinics turned hardened gunslinger.), going into assassin and grabbing atomany lessons was my choice, since when I do hit, I hit like a cannon.

In addition, I had a custom mod fitted to dueling pistol to give limited ammo 6 (2hp), thus a firm backup that can at least hit for 10,15 if I lessons, with 3 boost dice if i chose to aim. Not the greatest dam in party ( a well kitted blaster r can outperform in range and probably damage) which is why you should either carry lancer/rifle. Even in the Wild West, pistols were a sidearm, so either you need to do something else or carry a rifle.

That being said, being a slinger is just part of my characters I'd, the dueling pistols is my social weapon, as I like to call it, I have no ranks in point blank, or any additional points. In fact both disapline and cool are fairly weak checks, something I chose to playout as a nervous nature. I am also a Rodien. I almost never shoot first, but with pistol power and def dice/dodge, I often tend to somehow survive long enough to finish the fights I start.

That being said, make no illusions about it, if you are a gunslinger, you must be able to do something unrelated to that, as likely there are more reliable ways to be a combat character. Generally bigger guns, so smuggler likely has social benefits I not observed yet

Edited by LordBritish, 16 May 2014 - 03:29 AM.

#39 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:36 AM

Yeah, that's what I think as well...I just don't want to invest 20xp on Scoundrel just for 3 or 4 talents, when if they make a Tree (Gunslinger) I can get a lot more talents.  Cuz then I waste 16 other talents I don't want for the 3 or 4 that I do.  Best to stay w/ Pilot and make him badass in that respect, and wait.  Thanks :)

I've been altering my outlook on buying specs more and more and I am becoming less interested in talents and more so in the skills it will add to my repertoire counting as career skills. I like Scoundrel a lot for that reason, you get a lot of good skills when you start Scoundrel I think. 

• whafrog and iandimitri like this

#40 Lancer999

Lancer999

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:26 AM

@2P51, Being a Scoundrel isn't bad, but we already have one in the group.  Besides, as I learned in our last session, I am NOT the charmer...I am the Deceiver.  But even then I pissed off a Hutt w/ 2 Despair on a roll.  So I know what I am good at...Flying Starships & Shooting people.  My social skills?  I am a Battleship in a Bathtub.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS