wanting to create a gunslinger style character

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 pashacordaro420

pashacordaro420

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:34 PM

i am wanting to creats a gunslinger styld character going to be chiss but dng what career and spec to use any help would be extremely usefull thanks guys

#2 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:48 PM

I'm thinking you want Hired Gun - Mercenary, or Smuggler - Scoundrel.  Both have Ranged(Light) as career skills.  The Merc is probably more damaging eventually, but the Scoundrel's Quick Draw, Rapid Reaction, and Quick Strike can help get the drop on opponents and end the fight quickly, which seems more of a gunslinger flavour.

Personally I'd go for the Scoundrel.  If you go with Agility 3+ and get your skill ranks up to 3 quickly, you can be pretty deadly using dual wielding with 2 blaster pistols.

• Haggard and 2P51 like this

#3 pashacordaro420

pashacordaro420

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:58 PM

thats wht i was thinking i waiting to see wht the marshal looks like ill definately take a look at the scoundrel

#4 LibrariaNPC

LibrariaNPC

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:03 PM

With the rules that currently exist (and are not in beta), the Smuggler-Scoundrel has the best setup to pull off a gunslinger with the quick draw elements and other bonuses relying on speed.

I personally would go with Scoundrel, then move over to Assassin or Mercenary for the damage increase.

"Smilies exist because no one's bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic

LibrariaNPC's Starship Yard (Fighters and Freighter chapters as PDFs!)

#5 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,218 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:30 PM

Yeah, I'd go Smuggler-Scoundrel to start with, focusing primarily on the right-hand side of the talent tree, giving you stuff like Quick Draw, Rapid Reactions, Quick Strike, and Side Step, all of which are very useful for the "shoot first and avoid return fire" motif.  From there, you could branch into Merc Soldier or Assassin, or if Age of Rebellion is available head into the Sharpshooter spec to really ramp up your prowess with ranged weapons and ability to make "impossible" shots with your blaster pistol(s).

Bear in mind that if you're going to dual-wield pistols, it's going to be difficult for your PC to reliably hit with both of them in the early going.  You'll want a minimum Agility of 3 and at the very least 2 ranks in Ranged (Light), even if you have to spend some of your PC's starting XP budget to get that second rank.

• awayputurwpn likes this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#6 pashacordaro420

pashacordaro420

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:51 PM

yea was definitly going agility 3 ranged(light)2 perception 2 and i got 30 xp that im not sure if i want to spend on talent or get ranged(light)3 i could always take 10 or 20 extra obligation to gain more xp but i kno chances it can come up so there many things im unsure yet

#7 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:59 PM

You can only get to Ranged(Light) - 2 at chargen no matter how much XP you get.  But you can alway spend the first 15XP you get on Ranged(Light) - 3, and then watch dual wielding start to pay off.

#8 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:04 PM

You can get there fast from BH: Assassin too. Lethal Blows is key if you want to drop them through Critical Hits (which can be important as it's fairly easy to get Soak high enough to shrug off a lot of Ranged (Light) attacks).

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#9 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:05 PM

Better to use your xp to get Agility 4 and honestly you'll be a solid dual wielder out the gate.  Add in a modded primary weapon like the X30 with a laser sight and you'll be knockin out twin hits consistently.

My Scoundrel has a heavy blaster pistol with a laser sight for his primary weapon and a blaster rifle with a pistol grip for the secondary and the hard hit.

• Jamwes and Aservan like this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#10 pashacordaro420

pashacordaro420

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:15 PM

going to use 4 pistols two ll-30 blasters using stat block from x-30 and two fiver slugthrowers have cartels emporium and going to use special in those and will take agility 4.

#11 Streak

Streak

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:18 PM

My characters only real gunfight sort of started by accident. I was staring down a 'rival' two gun Klatooinian squad leader in a fancy suit when our teams diversion went off. Another player character had been taking a lot of my attention jumping around mouthing off trying to get me killed, so when the lights went out I just reacted and drew my inherant-fast-draw blaster and started firing at the enemy leader in the fancy suit.

This is where the whole thing went downhill fast. He turned out to be as super-'cool' as I was and we made equally good initiative rolls. The only reason he got hit first was my PC over NPC tiebreaker. Even with the low light setbacks, we both got strong heavy dual wielding hits on each other in the first round. After that we missed every shot at each other for two rounds as we both took cover and yelled commands and blaster bolts started flying everywhere around us (well, mostly around me). One more solid hit would have finished either of us. (His 'fancy suit' turned out to be heavily armored - oops, and his 5 followers turned out NOT to be 'minions' - major oops.)

This is how I ended up stumbling back through the door after a brief lightfight with 6 heavily armed Klatooinian commandos. Some other good guys were starting to get involved and attract their attention but there was still an awful lot of missing going on before I got out the door, somehow without getting hit again.

So the moral of that story is that tuning up your initiative should probably be considered as important as any of the other gunfighter skills. Maybe moreso if you intend to start the Gunfight at the Deserted Throneroom without consultation with the rest of your team!

P.S.: It really helps when playing Sabacc too!

• kaosoe likes this

#12 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:26 PM

Kind of depends do you want to do the Quickdraw thing or are you just looking to clobber people with a pair of blasters?  Probably shootiest of the shootest is Sharpshooter/Soldier in AoR.

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#13 Salcor

Salcor

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:39 PM

I agree scoundrel is the best. I have a player looking at this route and I also recommended enforcer. Think Johnny Ringo from tombstone. But I would have to add ranged light to a few of the talents.

Salcor
  • kaosoe likes this

The meek shall truly inherit the Earth

because that is where they will be buried

#14 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:43 PM

Probably shootiest of the shootest is Sharpshooter/Soldier in AoR.

Probably, but when I think "gunfighter" I don't think "sniping with pistols from half a mile away."

#15 Hygric

Hygric

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:32 AM

I'd agree with starting as a Smuggler / Scoundrel.  As a human, I would go with Agility 4 and Presence 3, scoundrel skills of cool and ranged light and then spend the remaining 10XP on one of ranged light rank 2 or coercion rank 1 (out off career and not good stat behind it, but you need to be able to stare people down!) or both the quick draw and rapid reaction talents.

Presence 3, in addition to giving you a good cool skill for those stare-downs at high noon, will also let you take advantage of the other skills and talents available to the scoundrel, making you a passable talky character as well.

Down the track I would mix it up a bit and take Fringer as a second spec.  Talents to make you a passable secondary pilot to capitalise on that high Agi as well as a LOT of strain-friendly talents (grit 2 and rapid recovery 3) to really let you make those strain unfriendly talents work hard (rapid reaction 2, side step 2 and dodge 2 if you go that far into fringer)!

#16 Dex Vulen

Dex Vulen

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:53 AM

Could always wait for the Gunslinger specialization to come out.  :)

I am kind of with HD on this one.  My character has organically grown into the role of the Gunslinger.  BH; Survivalist, Gadgeteer, FSE.  What I wish I had at this point is Lethal Blows.

I am starting to bank some XP for either Assassin or the Gunslinger Specialization.  While I have to buy into Cool out of career, I am really enjoying Intimidate, Jury Rig, Tinkerer, Survival, and Mechanics along with some other skills that came with my choices thus far.  It isn't always about the best 'fit' mechanically.

Proud Member of the Gand Anti-Defamation League.

#17 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:07 AM

It's Vigilance, not Cool. Shooting last is self defence, shooting first is murder. So if you want to stay away from legal repercussions you only want to shoot in reaction to another shooter drawing down. Since both Vigilance and Coercion are based on Willpower, you want Willpower at 3, not Presence.

#18 pashacordaro420

pashacordaro420

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:31 AM

all seem like their excellent ideas by the end of the day background characteristics skills will be pur up and also going into a book of pregens im making

Edited by pashacordaro420, 15 May 2014 - 06:33 AM.

#19 LordBritish

LordBritish

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:04 AM

I would differ slightly by starting in assassin, then likely move into gadgeteer for the jury rig in particular. It is very easy to shoot rapidly with QuickDraw, double aim, shoot, and with a trusty heavy b pistol or with superior, laz sight and the tinker for barrel attach, this deals 14 damage base if all the mods / talent go on it. The only thing it lacks is true aim, and not much toughness, but being a gunslinger, it should provide firepower to make close range exceedingly painful, the domain of gunslingers.

#20 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:15 AM

It's Vigilance, not Cool. Shooting last is self defence, shooting first is murder. So if you want to stay away from legal repercussions you only want to shoot in reaction to another shooter drawing down. Since both Vigilance and Coercion are based on Willpower, you want Willpower at 3, not Presence.

That depends. Vigilance is for if you were not expecting the fight. Cool is for those times you are both eying each and waiting for an opening. even if the other guy draws first if you knew he wanted to it is a cool roll.

• Aservan likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS