• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:31 PM

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4816

On the Doorstep Nightmare decks coming!!  Especially excited for Battle of the Five Armies Nightmare.  I wonder where they will turn to next for nightmare.....it would seem odd to go to BR already.  I think they will prob go to KD and dwarrowdelf.  

Edited by Khamul The Easterling, 14 May 2014 - 04:32 PM.

• danpoage likes this

Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamul the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's Lieutenant, with one other as his messenger."  - Unfinished Tales

#2 Vendictar

Vendictar

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:50 PM

Intersting how there is no playmat, but 4 deckboxes. The deckbox shown has the tactics symbol, which makes me think 1 box for each sphere.

#3 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:53 PM

Haha, I'm not sure I want nightmare versions of these :P

I'm still waiting for nightmare mirkwood to be available in my local store.

• philosophant likes this

#4 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:09 PM

Why are these so expensive? I really want them for the art and theme though I couldn't enjoy them, they're too hard. I really wonder how does Glaurung and many others love them so much. Maybe it's because I play mainly solo, but if I played a lot of multiplayer I would enjoy them more. 

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#5 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:06 PM

Do want battle of five armies but not the other two, flies and spiders and lonely mountain are hard enough already...

• philosophant likes this

#6 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:20 PM

I play mostly solo and I like the nightmare decks because they bring bad quests back to life.  For example, I wasn't playing Emyn Muil anymore....who was?  But with nightmare its actually fun now and you actually have to think when playing that quest.  There are still some quests that may have good theme and cool mechanics but are just to easy and you beat it without any trouble.  My list of the still "broken down" quests are these:

1. Encounter at Amon Din - Not enough villagers die..... rather easy locations and treachery's.  Plus, they make any easy quest easier with Lord Alcoran.  

2. Long Dark - Just all around its so darn easy.  This one maybe needs a 3rd quest card.  

3. Druadan Forest - Some people think this is just the most brutal, hard, nasty quest......I have played it 1,2,3 players multiple times and its not super easy, but its rarely a challenge.  

4. Road to Rivendell - This one still isn't too bad, but It needs a redo.

Those quests never get played anymore by me because when I play them with pretty much any deck, I just hardly have to think, and there are just never any tense moments..... so not very fun for me.  

I like nightmare because it makes good tense games in quests that were before no problem.

• Glaurung likes this

Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamul the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's Lieutenant, with one other as his messenger."  - Unfinished Tales

#7 Sinamil

Sinamil

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:46 PM

The only thing that irks me is that they never cycle the playmats/deckboxes into regular circulation to buy.  I would shell out some money for one of those.

• Narsil0420 and Catastrophic09 like this

#8 Noccus

Noccus

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:50 AM

I play mostly solo and I like the nightmare decks because they bring bad quests back to life.  For example, I wasn't playing Emyn Muil anymore....who was?  But with nightmare its actually fun now and you actually have to think when playing that quest.  There are still some quests that may have good theme and cool mechanics but are just to easy and you beat it without any trouble.  My list of the still "broken down" quests are these:

1. Encounter at Amon Din - Not enough villagers die..... rather easy locations and treachery's.  Plus, they make any easy quest easier with Lord Alcoran.  

2. Long Dark - Just all around its so darn easy.  This one maybe needs a 3rd quest card.  

3. Druadan Forest - Some people think this is just the most brutal, hard, nasty quest......I have played it 1,2,3 players multiple times and its not super easy, but its rarely a challenge.  

4. Road to Rivendell - This one still isn't too bad, but It needs a redo.

Those quests never get played anymore by me because when I play them with pretty much any deck, I just hardly have to think, and there are just never any tense moments..... so not very fun for me.  

I like nightmare because it makes good tense games in quests that were before no problem.

Most of these are good quests in multi-player.
Specially long dark & druadan forest get more brutal the more players join in.
Some quests are just designed that way.
That said, nightmare is indeed a great addition to the game for solo & multi-players to revisit old quests.
"Not all those who wander are lost"

#9 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:57 AM

I think that Nightmare Battle of the Five armies would get harder with clearing of the stages, not easier as it is now.

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#10 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:56 AM

Yes Nmode is cool! Will be interesting to play compaign of Hobbits 6 quest in 1 go….we do it in Normal mode and it was so easy and boring…..NM sure will be cool!  For the novice players Normal mode is ok but for the Veterans Nmode is still you keep in game. 

Emyn Muil Dead marches Nmode quite easy in solo mode but in Coop even with 2 players is already very cool and challenge. In solo encounter deck cannot show real power. RTM is impossible solo! You need at least 2 players same as Dol-Guldor NMode. Even if you win mostly is just luck……. And deck boxes a cool!!!  I really like them! We want it we want it now!!!

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#11 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:47 AM

Just speaking for myself, Nightmare mode is one of the best decisions the design team ever made. I tend to be a masochist and love the really difficult quests, so it's nice to get those without ruining the experience for those who would rather not delve into the nightmare.

• jjeagle, spalanzani, danpoage and 1 other like this

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#12 danpoage

danpoage

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:15 AM

For anyone who only plays solo, I really encourage you to play two-handed or find a friend to play multiplayer with you. As Glaurung and others have mentioned, the game changes completely when you play with multiple players. Many quests can seem one dimensional and boring when you reveal a single encounter card each round. These same scenarios become something else entirely when the encounter deck has a chance to chain multiple encounter cards together in the same round.

As far as difficulty is concerned, the harder scenarios really require a specific deck build. Those who try to bring a one-size-fits-all deck into these type of quests, especially the Nightmare packs, are going to most-likely be disappointed. I also really enjoy the Nightmare quests. Not only do they bring added difficulty to older scenarios that have become too easy in a larger card pool, but they often tighten up the theme and mechanics to smooth the rough edges. I really can't wait for Nightmare Battle of Five Armies as this is thematically one of my favorite quests. I look forward to seeing how they tweak this quest.

Hall of Beorn

The Grey Company

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
—Oscar Wilde

#13 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 836 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:04 AM

Wow, and i haven't still won the nmare treasures!!!

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#14 7theye

7theye

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:21 PM

How do you get these? Only game stores get them. Not sure how people are getting these.

#15 7theye

7theye

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:32 PM

Anyone have any idea how to get these?

#16 klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:07 PM

Wait for several months and they'll get released as POD expansions.

"To each of us falls a task. And all the Emperor requires of us Guardsmen is that we stand in line, and we die fighting. It is what we do best: we die standing."

-General Sturnn, Cadian 412th regiment

#17 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:56 AM

Yeah, I did a little release/announcement calendar, which I don't have on me at the moment, but I believe that the average time between when the Nightmare expansions are announced and they hit POD is about 6-7 months.

#18 7theye

7theye

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:52 AM

Yes I know they come as POD but I meant actually getting the deck boxes ext. Anyway to pull this off?

#19 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:37 PM

You really only have three options

1) Contact a local game store and see if they will order a game night kit.

2) Check out ebay. The deck boxes and playmats usually pop up now and then, although at inflated prices.

3) Post in forums here or on boardgamegeek and see if anyone has any extras that they are willing to sell or trade.

#20 gman707

gman707

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:20 PM

Just speaking for myself, Nightmare mode is one of the best decisions the design team ever made. I tend to be a masochist and love the really difficult quests, so it's nice to get those without ruining the experience for those who would rather not delve into the nightmare.

I struggle with easy mode. I have never succeded with journey to rosghobel. Can never clear all the sodding wounds on wyliador.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS