How to fight the TIE Phantom

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:07 PM

It seems to me it is all about action denial.  Flechette Torpedoes, Blocking, and Stress Allocation.  If they can't recloak you are they should die fast.

Other that that I think high PS will be key.  Though I will probably put Whisper in my Phantom and give him VI.  It might even be worth building the 99 point fleet for the guaranteed shoot first.  Advanced Cloak is one of the few times that it will actually matter.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#2 Frazio

Frazio

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:17 PM

Turrets, especially named yt's.
Ions+stress
Intelligence agent could come into play.
Proton bombs (have to be higher ps).
Asteroid maneuvering.

#3 bladed

bladed

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:21 PM

Lt. Blount with ion pulse missile once they uncloak.
  • Shinren likes this
Rebel Fleet: 4 x wings, 2 you wings, 1 a wing, 1 b wing, 1 falcon, 2 hwks, and one transport.
Imperial scum: 7th fighters, 1 advanced, 3 bombers, 1 fire spray, 1 shuttle, and 3 interceptors.

#4 PhantomFO

PhantomFO

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:23 PM

The exact same ways you've been dealing with Soontir or Turr Phennur with Stealth devices.
  • CatPeeler likes this
REBEL: 3 X-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 2 Z95 Headhunters, 1 YT-1300, 1 HWK-290
IMPERIAL: 5 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Interceptors, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 TIE Advanced, 1 Lambda, 1 Firespray

#5 Revanchist

Revanchist

• Members
  • 945 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:30 PM

Don't fight it, join it!

On a serious note, treat it like a sup'd up Interceptor that you have to take down.
Imperial: 5 TIE/ln, 1 TIE/adv, 5 TIE/in, 1 TIE/sa, 1 Firespray-31, 1 Lambda
Rebel: 3 X-wing, 1 Y-wing, 1 A-wing, 1 B-wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300

"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."

#6 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:51 PM

Autoblaster is your best friend

HLC + TL + F is a close second
  • Hrathen likes this

#7 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

In response to the above:

I don't really see Ion being all that useful (more than normal) against Phantoms, they still get their action while Ionized.

Yes, You can still shoot at and kill 4 agility dice ships, but won't it be more effective to shoot at 2 agility dice ships.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#8 Tasteoclese

Tasteoclese

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

HLC + TL + F is a close second

Along this line, Keyan Farlander (once he comes out) with PTL + Autoblaster + Engine upgrade may ensure that you can position yourself in range 1 and use your stress as a focus. The problem with this would be if the Phantom is Whisper with VI.

Rebel: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 1 YT-1300, 2 B-wing, 2 HWK-290, 1 GR-75

Empire: 8 TIE Fighter, 2 TIE Advanced, 5 TIE Interceptor, 1 Firespray-31, 2 TIE Bomber, 1 Lambda shuttle

#9 Khyros

Khyros

Advocate of A & E Wings Everywhere

• Members
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:05 PM

In response to the above:

I don't really see Ion being all that useful (more than normal) against Phantoms, they still get their action while Ionized.

Yes, You can still shoot at and kill 4 agility dice ships, but won't it be more effective to shoot at 2 agility dice ships.

The point of the ion is that they can't decloak since they never reveal a dial.  So not only do you deny them a shot, but you know pretty much exactly where they're going to be... yeah, they can BR left/right... but that's a lot easier to deal with than pretty much anywhere on the board (take a look at my places a phantom can go thread if you don't believe me).  I'd gladly deal with 4 agi dice but in arc than 2 agi dice but out of arc.  Slippery 'tards.

• Magnus Grendel likes this

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#10 Cptnhalfbeard

Cptnhalfbeard

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:20 PM

Good luck getting range 1 on a phantom - if I was up against an autoblaster I'd be steering clear of that thing. But your right, up against a cloaked phantom it will be a godsend if you can pull it off :)

#11 Jo Jo

Jo Jo

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:36 PM

You also need to spread your formation out a bit. If you are in a tight unit, your firing arcs are also tight. It will be easier for the Phantom to avoid them. Spread out and cover more distance. Hopefully you can get at least two ships a shot on an uncloaded Phantom.

Unfortunately, if you like swarms, a Phantom is going to be a huge PITA.

Edited by Jo Jo, 14 May 2014 - 01:36 PM.

"And then, we'll remind the Rebellion what war is all about." 

#12 dotswarlock

dotswarlock

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:39 PM

Roark Garnet with intelligence agent?  Guess the angle of attack using the agent and give the ship that will be in range first strike capabilities by boosting its pilot rating to 12?

#13 cody campbell

cody campbell

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:44 PM

Yeah, you might need

Good luck getting range 1 on a phantom - if I was up against an autoblaster I'd be steering clear of that thing. But your right, up against a cloaked phantom it will be a godsend if you can pull it off :)

Yeah, it may require an ion cannon to get into range 1 in the first place.  I don't see a B-Wing being able to outmaneuver a Tie/P, even with Engine upgrade. 

#14 Dagonet

Dagonet

• Members
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:55 PM

Lt. Blount with ion pulse missile once they uncloak.

Better to hit while still cloaked denying them the uncloak next turn.

R3-A2 to stress them, preferably before they shoot.

#15 Revanchist

Revanchist

• Members
  • 945 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:56 PM

Yeah, you might need

Yeah, it may require an ion cannon to get into range 1 in the first place.  I don't see a B-Wing being able to outmaneuver a Tie/P, even with Engine upgrade.

That 2 K-turn with AdvS, though . . . especially on Farlander, who could TL the Phantom behind him, 2 k-turn, and have a 3-4 dice TL + F shot.
Imperial: 5 TIE/ln, 1 TIE/adv, 5 TIE/in, 1 TIE/sa, 1 Firespray-31, 1 Lambda
Rebel: 3 X-wing, 1 Y-wing, 1 A-wing, 1 B-wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300

"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."

#16 cody campbell

cody campbell

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:39 PM

Yeah, you might need

That 2 K-turn with AdvS, though . . . especially on Farlander, who could TL the Phantom behind him, 2 k-turn, and have a 3-4 dice TL + F shot.

Yikes, that's a potent combo, but still easy to predict. If you have the PS and positioning advantage to pull if off, especially with autoblasters,then that phantom is dead.

I still think its too easy to avoid, though. Not without someone directly helping, either blocking or ion support.

#17 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 901 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:42 PM

Wedge Antilles.

#18 Klutz

Klutz

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:48 PM

YT-1300 with Gunner.

• Skargoth likes this

#19 CatPeeler

CatPeeler

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:17 PM

Turrets

Wedge

Outmaneuver

HLC

Cluster Missiles + Jonus

Jan + ___

In the end, dice will kill 'em.  The more 4/5 dice shots you take, the sooner they will chuff a roll and leave a slowly-expanding cloud of debris.

#20 Shinren

Shinren

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:47 PM

Hi! What do you think about this list if you have to counter a phantom??

http://geordanr.gith...;66:9,53:-1:-1:

I think that the main problem is to shoot first, so I used Roark Garnet ability to raise an ally PS to 12, with an ion turret...

I've thought about Lt Blount on the new Z-95 upgraded with swarm tactics and ion missiles...

the last ship is the star: falcon driven by chewbacca with a lot of upgrades like draw their fire, mercenary copilot, navigator, ion pulse missiles, munition failsafe and millennium falcon...

Thoughts ???

Eugenio - Alessandria, ITALY

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS