• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 Forgottenlore

Forgottenlore

Midnight Dreary

• Members
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:18 AM

I'm amused. By the number of people that feel the need to buy large quantities of a single ship all at once. I'm going to buy one. Then in a couple weeks I'll probably buy another, and so on for the next year until practical experience shows me that I don't need anymore.
  • LeoHowler likes this

Thanks, Troy

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

#22 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 4,532 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:56 AM

until practical experience shows me that I don't need anymore.

My experience is that running 4 to 8 of a given ship as a list is quite fun. No reason to wait 6+ weeks to buy something when I know I'll play with at least that many.

#23 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:01 PM

I actually went with two although I considered three and I am not someone who normally gets extra ships.  I can easily see where I might want to use two of them as "fill" to give a squadron some more ships but then the two named pilots actually look like they have some sweet uses without costing too much.  Unless Epic is a consideration I really wouldn't go beyond six but because of how well I think Rebels mix and match I think two or three is a great plenty.

#24 MajorJuggler

MajorJuggler

MathWinger

• Members
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:02 PM

I'm amused. By the number of people that feel the need to buy large quantities of a single ship all at once. I'm going to buy one. Then in a couple weeks I'll probably buy another, and so on for the next year until practical experience shows me that I don't need anymore.

I also have 2 Corvettes on order, and you can bet the first thing we will do is have a massive Epic battle... planning on house ruling one of the Corvettes as Imperial, 2-3 players on each side with 150-200 points per player, and then watching the fireworks.  :D

Edited by MajorJuggler, 14 May 2014 - 12:03 PM.

#25 skyhwk290

skyhwk290

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:04 PM

I used to think this too but you never know how fast they will sellout. From my perspective it is better to have it and not need it rather than needing it and not being able to get it.

#26 Old Adept

Old Adept

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:16 PM

Three.
I have NOTHING clever to say.
NO ONE cares about what ships I have.
NO ONE cares if I win or loose.

#27 dvor

dvor

• Members
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:19 PM

... planning on house ruling one of the Corvettes as Imperial ...

You may want to disallow imperial only upgrades (crew) because of game balance issues.

X-wing is played over a series of game rounds. Turn is a type of maneuver.

#28 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

Pending Forum Submission

• Members
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:21 PM

Well guess I am crazy because I have 7 preordered. I have a couple of thoughts,

First - running 6 (72) with 1 ORS is going to blow peoples minds.
Second- that gives me 7 ion pulse missles to load up against a transport matched with fletch torps and it's going to wreck people.
Third- in an epic game 7 z95s with ion pulse will be very useful.

Edited by Cubanboy, 14 May 2014 - 12:22 PM.

• EmpireErik likes this
I have ships,
Pew Pew Pew

#29 MajorJuggler

MajorJuggler

MathWinger

• Members
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:34 PM

You may want to disallow imperial only upgrades (crew) because of game balance issues.

Yeah, if I do that I would disallow Rebel only upgrades as well, I think it would be more interesting in a casual game to let everything in though. Trying to think of any imperial only crew that would really break game balance....

#30 dvor

dvor

• Members
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:42 PM

Yeah, if I do that I would disallow Rebel only upgrades as well, I think it would be more interesting in a casual game to let everything in though. Trying to think of any imperial only crew that would really break game balance....

Vader on a ship which regenerates shields.

Rebel captive on a ship which needs to get attacked often to be destroyed.

IMHO both imperial only crew cards have a good chance of breaking game balance on that ship.

X-wing is played over a series of game rounds. Turn is a type of maneuver.

#31 dojimaster

dojimaster

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:47 PM

4 of everything

#32 Forgottenlore

Forgottenlore

Midnight Dreary

• Members
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:05 PM

And that can make several attacks a turn. How many quad laser batteries can a corvette mount?

Thanks, Troy

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

#33 skyhwk290

skyhwk290

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:15 PM

And that can make several attacks a turn. How many quad laser batteries can a corvette mount?

There are 2 hard points fore and 1 aft.

#34 MajorJuggler

MajorJuggler

MathWinger

• Members
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:27 PM

Rebel captive on a ship which needs to get attacked often to be destroyed.

IMHO both imperial only crew cards have a good chance of breaking game balance on that ship.

You need to be focus firing these Huge ships anyway, so handing out one additional stress for 3 points is costed fairly and is a pretty minor effect in a 300 point match.

Vader isn't quite as clear cut. An Omicron Group Pilot with Vader costs 24 points, and has 10 hull/shields, so you are destroying 4.8 points per use with Vader. This can still be worth it. A CR-90 costs 93 points with Vader, and has 24 Hull/shields, so you are destroying 7.75 points per use with Vader. With energy management being vital to the ship's survival, I'm still not sure Vader makes sense even with shield regeneration. At a minimum you would want Tibanna gas supplies at a cost of 4 to get back 3 energy. You probably want this anyway, actually.

This will need to get FAQ'ed when we get Huge Imperial ships: If Darth Vader is crew in the Fore section, can his ability trigger when firing a weapon from the Aft section?

I would say no for now. Regardless, there is 1 primary weapon fore, 2 weapon slots fore, and 1 weapon slot aft.

cr90-corvette-fore.pngcr90-corvette-aft.png

single-turbolasers.png   quad-laser-cannons.png

The extreme example would be loading up with both kinds of lasers, and using Vader with both, plus the primary attack. Assuming the Quads hit, you use Vader 3x. You just inflicted 25% of your ship's total hit points, on a 107 point ship (minimum) in order to cause 3 damage. I think that's over-rated, but am looking forward to Huge Imperial ships and watching somebody try it anyway.  :D

Edited by MajorJuggler, 14 May 2014 - 01:28 PM.

• LeoHowler likes this

#35 SoulCrusherEx

SoulCrusherEx

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:36 PM

me as an imperial player would have thought u rebels get crazy and buy 8 to copy the swarm but after reading through this post and eeing most of the times people post 2-4 max. iam surprised and amazed together with the explanations why they chose to do it like that. i somehow knes it wouldnt be a meta changer with those B`s around

Imperium: 7 Tie Fighter, 3 Tie Advanced, 12 Tie Interceptors (4 aces boxes included) 3 Tie Bomber and 3 fire sprays, 1 Tie Defender, 2 Tie Phantom, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 1 V49 Decimator
Rebels:  1 B-wing, 1 Z-95, 2 Hwk290,
Pirates: 3 Firesprays, 3 Y- Wings, 7 z-95, 2 HWK 290

#36 Bjorn Rockfist

Bjorn Rockfist

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:00 PM

8 just because.

Rebel - (4)X-Wing (5)Y (5)A (4)B (3)E (6)HWK-290 (8)Z-95 (3)YT-1300 (3) 2400 (2)GR-75 (1)CR-90 (6)Rebel Aces

Empire - (8)TIE Fighter (4)Advanced (5)Interceptor (6)Bomber (3)Defender (4)Phantom (3)Firespray-31

(4)Lambda-class Shuttle (4)Imperial Aces (2)VT-49 Decimator

SOONtir - (6)Most Wanted (7)M3-A (4)StarViper (3)Aggressor

#37 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

Pending Forum Submission

• Members
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:00 PM

me as an imperial player would have thought u rebels get crazy and buy 8 to copy the swarm but after reading through this post and eeing most of the times people post 2-4 max. iam surprised and amazed together with the explanations why they chose to do it like that. i somehow knes it wouldnt be a meta changer with those B`s around

It is surprising that people are not seeing get valve in running 6z95s and a Bwing with advance sen or 5 with ion (60) with and E-wing (30) or retro fit A-Wings (30) it's just weird to me. Seeing ion pulse missiles would just wreck a swarm.

Edited by Cubanboy, 14 May 2014 - 02:01 PM.

I have ships,
Pew Pew Pew

#38 IronNerd

IronNerd

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:16 PM

I'm thinking 4 would be my high end.  I'm considering something like:

Hobbie w/ R3-A2

Blount w/ Ion Pulse

Tala Squadron w/ Assault Missiles

Tala Squadron w/ Assault Missiles

Tala Squadron w/ Cluster Missiles

Lock down one big baddy with Ion and Stress, and hopefully deliver one hell of an alpha strike...

#39 negative9

negative9

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:36 PM

I will be getting 3.  So I can run Cracken with cluster missiles, and 2 bandits with concussion or assaults.  I think it will be and effective alpha.  After that I will just have to wait and see.

#40 Osoroshii

Osoroshii

龍神

• Members
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:47 PM

6 for me
  • Ravncat likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS