Just Bought the game!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LexTaliones

LexTaliones

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:42 AM

New player here.  Just bought the game + both expansions.  Hoping to try it soon.  Just wanted to ask for beginners tips and links to possible resources for getting started!

Thanks in advance!

• SolennelBern likes this

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength.

Through strength, I gain power.  Through power, I gain victory.

Through victory, my chains are broken.

The Force shall set me free.

#2 Cremate

Cremate

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:58 AM

Best of luck and have a blast!

It's a great great game, but also one that it takes time and effort to get up and running and unfortunately there are no good and full video tutorials to it yet.

My advice for a group who've never played before would be:

1. Don't sweat it and try to it all in one go. Take your time and dedicate a couple of game-days just to get into the game. Don't be afraid to make mistakes and fixing them along the way or adjusting it for the next game.
  2. You need at least one rule-strong player to read the rules in advance. Even better if most or all the group does it.
  3. Make sure to stress in your walkthrough of the rules that this game is not, at heart, a war-game, and that it is all about getting Victory Points. It's one of the most common mistakes getting into this game and if you are all new to it you can save yourself from some odd games, from people going into it with different expectations, by stressing it before you start. Warfare is an important tool in the game, but it is never more than a means to a goal: VPs.
  4. Try doing small sessions of play before the first full game, with one or two players who can meet and play through some of the mechanics.
  5. Having the expansions is great, but don't chuck them all in there to begin with. For the first couple of times I would only use technologies, system tiles, and Strategy Cards from the expansions, leaving out all the races and the many different additional options. They are lovely, but you will have your hands full going into this game - and have plenty to enjoy already.
  6. The Strategy Cards are extremely important for the gameplay and ultimately will depend on your groups, play around with them over time, but for starters my suggestion would be to use 1:Leadership; 2:Diplomacy II, 3:Assembly; 4:Production; 5:Trade II; 6:Warfare II; 7:Technology II; 8:Bureaucracy.
  7. Have the Errata/FAQ at hand, preferably in a digital version as it can very slow - especially being new to the game - finding something in the 20+ pages on paper and a digital version allows for doing searches on specific words.

But foremost - have fun!

Edited by Cremate, 14 May 2014 - 09:01 AM.

• SolennelBern likes this

#3 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

• Members
  • 956 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:27 PM

Another advice i'd like to share and this is after playing the game 3 times in 2013 where the first one was with 8 new players (best gaming time i've had since FF2 on NES :P).

Have ALL player read the rules...ALL PLAYERS!

Second, use the preset maps which will accelerate the setup and provide a balanced start for every player.

On our 8-player game, everyone read the rules before the game and just with this collective effort it made the 8 hour long game a smooth ride and an unforgettable experience.

We also printed some useful tech charts, FAQs and other documents we found on BGG.  It made every question easily responded and we could move on.  

We also took two 1-hour breaks so we could get up a bit, eat, etc.

It was awesome!

#4 SFRR

SFRR

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:11 PM

Another advice i'd like to share and this is after playing the game 3 times in 2013 where the first one was with 8 new players (best gaming time i've had since FF2 on NES :P).

Have ALL player read the rules...ALL PLAYERS!

Second, use the preset maps which will accelerate the setup and provide a balanced start for every player.

On our 8-player game, everyone read the rules before the game and just with this collective effort it made the 8 hour long game a smooth ride and an unforgettable experience.

We also printed some useful tech charts, FAQs and other documents we found on BGG.  It made every question easily responded and we could move on.  

We also took two 1-hour breaks so we could get up a bit, eat, etc.

It was awesome!

THIS..."+1"

(SFRR) aka Siferr Stark

#5 SFRR

SFRR

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:23 PM

Best of luck and have a blast!

It's a great great game, but also one that it takes time and effort to get up and running and unfortunately there are no good and full video tutorials to it yet.

My advice for a group who've never played before would be:

1. Don't sweat it and try to it all in one go. Take your time and dedicate a couple of game-days just to get into the game. Don't be afraid to make mistakes and fixing them along the way or adjusting it for the next game.
  2. You need at least one rule-strong player to read the rules in advance. Even better if most or all the group does it.
  3. Make sure to stress in your walkthrough of the rules that this game is not, at heart, a war-game, and that it is all about getting Victory Points. It's one of the most common mistakes getting into this game and if you are all new to it you can save yourself from some odd games, from people going into it with different expectations, by stressing it before you start. Warfare is an important tool in the game, but it is never more than a means to a goal: VPs.
  4. Try doing small sessions of play before the first full game, with one or two players who can meet and play through some of the mechanics.
  5. Having the expansions is great, but don't chuck them all in there to begin with. For the first couple of times I would only use technologies, system tiles, and Strategy Cards from the expansions, leaving out all the races and the many different additional options. They are lovely, but you will have your hands full going into this game - and have plenty to enjoy already.
  6. The Strategy Cards are extremely important for the gameplay and ultimately will depend on your groups, play around with them over time, but for starters my suggestion would be to use 1:Leadership; 2:Diplomacy II, 3:Assembly; 4:Production; 5:Trade II; 6:Warfare II; 7:Technology II; 8:Bureaucracy.
  7. Have the Errata/FAQ at hand, preferably in a digital version as it can very slow - especially being new to the game - finding something in the 20+ pages on paper and a digital version allows for doing searches on specific words.

But foremost - have fun!

I completely agree.  Even though I no longer play the base game (I don't like it, won't play it), I highly recommend at least for your first game, just play the base game, with a pre-set map, and very, very few optional rules (maybe Leaders, and no others).  Just get the hang of Strategy Cards, primary and secondary abilities (the subtleties of timing to use your Strategy Card), and using Command Counters...seriously...for new players just "activating a system" can be daunting when you have Command Counters in three different places on your race sheet (and, as it invariably happens, players build in their Home System, then can't move any units because now ALL of their units are guess where?...in their Home System).

Just have fun and focus on scoring.  Learning how to score a VP every Game Round is huge, and often quite challenging.

A Tech Tree hand out, several, is the only player-aid I think you really MUST have.  There are lots of really good player-made ones on BGG.  Again, scoring, not getting obsessed with having Super Dreadnoughts with all DN tech advances, nor Fighters with every fighter tech advance; those are "nice"...but SCORING wins.

(SFRR) aka Siferr Stark

#6 Cremate

Cremate

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:00 AM

Yes, how could I forget it!

The printed tech tree - I recommend this one http://cf.geekdo-ima...c1215407_md.jpg

And the preset galaxy maps are great. In fact I rarely play without them, so often forget that they are an optional feature.

I'd still recommend bringing a digital version of the FAQ, whether on computer, laptop, or phone with internet access, as it is a pain to search through the printed version. However, if it is your only option where you are playing, then a printed FAQ is key.

#7 Fnoffen

Fnoffen

• Members
  • 544 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:12 AM

Another tip for the first game, since you have both expansions, is actually to play the historic scenario from Shards.
It has minimal extra rules to learn and is a good way to learn all the basics of the activation sequence, movement and building new units. All of which, in my experience, seems to be the trickiest parts for new players to wrap their minds around.
Other than that I'd say that I agree that ALL players should read the rules beforehand at least once, preferrably twice or more.
There is also a tutorial site around somewhere which should be findable when Google-ing "Twilight Imperium Tutorial".
[edit] Found it! http://www.preeminen...es/ti3/ti3demo/ is a tremendously fine way to to through some basics. [/edit]

Edited by Fnoffen, 15 May 2014 - 04:18 AM.

Pax Magnifica Bellum Gloriosum

#8 Wick

Wick

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:31 PM

I recommend each player keeping the reinforcement Command Counters  well away from the Race sheet or in a container with a lid. I don't know how many times I caught my players not thinking and taking their Command counters from their reinforcement rather than their sheet.  Best to nip that in the bud and develop good habits from the get go. Getting all players to read is wonderful (mine refused then would argue with me). Player aids are very useful as well as premade map  for beginners. I also recommend getting clear, plastic sleeves for your cards. Sure its a few bucks more but you just sank about $150 in the base game and expansions, no need to get cheeto finger prints on your cards.

#9 Eck314

Eck314

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:03 AM

If it's not too late to offer advice...

Make sure everyone knows what they're getting into. A game of Twilight Imperium can last a loooong time. Not all gamers are cut out for an all-day session. 

Make DOUBLY sure all significant others know about the time commitment. We've nick named the game "the Divorce Edition"... :)

If it is too late... How did your first game go?

- Eck

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS