69 replies to this topic

#61 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:04 PM

I really wish I.M.P.S. would finish.
  • Lynata and kaosoe like this
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#62 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:09 PM

I really wish I.M.P.S. would finish.

Agreed.  Gold standard for fan effort in my opinion.  Here's one to tide you over until then....

• Sturn, Lynata and iandimitri like this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#63 Sylpheed

Sylpheed

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:53 PM

Anyone willing to admit they would rather have an IMPS RPG than Age of Rebellion?

45404898390-1.jpeg

45404898390.jpeg

#64 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:11 PM

To quote Ackbar:

It's a Trap!
  • kaosoe, DanteRotterdam and 2P51 like this
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#65 Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:59 PM

It's been some time since I read Darksaber, but I'm preeetty sure it was not presented as fact. Either way, I can't speak for the Death Star novel, as I did not read that one. It's possible that any revelations on their relationship revealed there were mixed with Daala's opinion on Tarkin in Darksaber - wikis like the WP tend to operate by weaving a single big article out of many different sources, after all, which sometimes makes it hard to nail down the source of a single claim.

This is more of a problem in Wh40k, though, where unlike with Star Wars' EU a canon never existed, so that some sources were not even meant to synch. In SW, only the end result really matters to get a good picture of something, and here WP tends to be relatively accurate. :)

Anyways: meh! I would've preferred my interpretation of their relationship, it would have been less cliché.

You may be correct. It's been a long time since I've read Darksaber (I'm not a particularly big fan of Kevin J. Anderson) and I can't seem to find a solid answer on where the nature of the relationship was made explicit. It may have been Death Star, even. If it were to ever come up in a game I was running, I would make sure that the nature of their relationship remained ambiguous. To me, the mystery was far more interesting than having the specific nature of their relationship presented as "fact." Tarkin is dead, and Daala doesn't strike me as the sort of person who would divulge those details anyway.

Slightly related to the discussion of "more females in Imperial uniforms," have you followed Dark Horse's ongoing Star Wars comic? It introduced two characters that I thought were very interesting. One, Birra Seah, was a KDY executive who had the courage to stand up to Darth Vader during one of his rage-murder episodes. He was so impressed with how she handled herself that he appointed her acting moff over the Death Star II construction project.

Later in the comic, we're introduced to another was a woman who is only referred to as Ensign Nanda. She ends up being hand-picked by Darth Vader to be his personal pilot while he seeks out retribution on some people he felt were responsible for betraying the Empire. She's an interesting character, and has some fascinating internal dialogue about Alderaan and Vader's actions while he was with her. She might not have liked his methods, but she rationalized it as necessary because she had lost friends on the first Death Star.

All that to say that while the Empire may have had issues with women and aliens, Darth Vader certainly didn't.

• Lynata likes this

CorellianCrafts.com is now live! Be sure to check it out for hand-made Star Wars dice bags and accessories!

#66 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:56 PM

Slightly related to the discussion of "more females in Imperial uniforms," have you followed Dark Horse's ongoing Star Wars comic?

Nah, I haven't read too many of the comics - though some of them are really great!

I'm a fan of the Legacy series (if it wasn't obvious from my description of the Fel Empire), and its Ania Solo-spin off - but I also greatly enjoyed those Empire comics about Janek Sunber, not only because their shift of perspective showed us a more humane (read: not moustache-twirling evil) and thus believable Empire, but also because it had some nice "slice of life" stories from a routine deployment. A nice change of pace from the usual super-important heroics.

Judging from the synopsis you linked, the story with Nanda seems interesting; I may have to get a hold of it! Five days with Vader must be some very special kind of hell.  :wacko:

All that to say that while the Empire may have had issues with women and aliens, Darth Vader certainly didn't.

Yeah, he'd despise (or, much less likely, grudgingly respect) everyone equally.  :lol:

It's simply a matter of upbringing and social environment. Vader was once Anakin Skywalker, and thus knew how strong women could be by the examples of Padme and Ahsoka, and spending a good deal of his childhood in the egalitarian Jedi Order would leave him untouched by the taint of prejudice - at least when it comes to females and aliens.

Let's not forget he also hand-picked Shira Brie as an operative, and he approved of Mara Jade.

Conversely, sexism in the Empire might have been a product of the expanded influence of the Core Worlds, where many cultures may have operated on the ancient concept of noble bloodlines led by male heirs. And just as noble origins played a greater role in the Empire, so too might have various aspects of chivalry bled into the Imperial war machinery, so would other conservative "values" piggy-back on them.

And since the Empire itself placed great importance on the idea of feeling superior over others as a way of empowering its most influential supporters (compared to the Republic way of unity through equality), it may have embraced this latent sexism, even though it may have never been official policy (explaining the few women we know existed in its hierarchy).

Or that's my theory, anyways. ;)

Anyone willing to admit they would rather have an IMPS RPG than Age of Rebellion?

I'd bite! I already loved the possibility in the old d20/Saga RPG...

And I had a hilarious game once where my character was a young cadet accompanying a senior officer who held an administrative position, and who was falsely accused of some crime as part of a plot.

The guy who played that character was just great - his selection of skills and stats alone was utterly crazy; not a single notable combat aptitude, but he'd be able to recite every single paragraph of the Imperial Penal Code from memory, or navigate the treacherous pitfalls of Imperial buraucracy without the need of a protocol droid. He also was totally oblivious of any dangers, and the biggest coward the Empire has ever seen.

Scenes that spring to mind are him demanding information from assorted underworld scum in a random cantina in the sublevels of Coruscant without any backup other than my inexperienced cadet, or the ensuring firefight that saw my character hide behind a table and meekly return fire with a pistol whilst crazy guy remained standing in the middle of the room (and the mooks who tried to shoot him all missed their rolls!!), or how he tried to motivate an arriving Stormtrooper squad into clearing out that hole, yelling stuff like "Storm the building! For the Empire!" with blaster in hand as if he were to go with them ... and as soon as they had entered the cantina he'd turn around and run away...  :lol:

Speaking of the old d20 RPG! One of the old sourcebooks also had the "Elite Trooper" advanced class, with this image to go with it:

elitetrooper.png

The class title doesn't hint at it, but the armour and choice of weapon makes this a female Coruscant Guard (or Imperial Guard, for units not deployed on the capital). :)

Edited by Lynata, 28 May 2014 - 06:16 PM.

• kaosoe likes this
current 40k RPG character: Aura Vashaan, Astromancer Witch-Priestess
previous characters: Captain Elias (Celestial Lions Chapter -- debriefed), Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors -- KIA), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose -- assassinated), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader Artemisia -- retired), Taleera "Raven" Nephran (Hive Ganger & Inquisitorial Assassin -- mindwiped)

#67 KnightErrantJR

KnightErrantJR

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:31 PM

I posted a separate thread about how I'd love to see an Age of Rebellion adventure about the Rebels raiding the Maw facility.  I would definitely like to see Daala in charge of it, but I don't think that, if I were in charge of how the adventure developed, I would even mention the relationship with Tarkin.  If Daala gets back into canon one way or another, I'd be happy to leave her Tarkin baggage behind.  ;)

I would, however, love to see the adventure I mentioned also have room in it for Daala to escape and become a recurring villain in other adventures. 

• kaosoe likes this

"The things that we love tell us what we are."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

#68 KnightErrantJR

KnightErrantJR

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:33 PM

. . . and while I'm thinking of it, I'd be fine with introducing Ysanne Isard right off the bat as head of Imperial Intelligence.

"The things that we love tell us what we are."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

#69 Sylpheed

Sylpheed

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

military_woman_usa_army_000819.jpg

pakistan_623709_m.jpg

139797130197.jpg

#70 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,892 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:49 AM

I think Yoshiyahu was right, in that Vader was more concerned with competence than with things like gender or species.  If you were capable of doing the job you were meant to do, he didn't care about other details.  He had no stomach for officers that got their posting by way of family or political connections, as they generally proved to be less-than-adequate.

Of course, one of the big complaints about the films is the general lack of female leading characters (a complaint brought up again when the initial casting announcements for Episode VII was made), with the prequels being slightly better in having a few female support characters (Padme's Handmaidens, some female Jedi) but even then most of them didn't do much.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS