Photo

If you could give the new guy one piece of advice .. what would it be?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Swedge

Swedge

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:31 PM

if you see an expansion pack you don't have.. BUY IT!!!! unless you like scouring ebay and searching around for Y wings..ect... however things have gotten better in that regard, i would rather just get it when the getting is good  AND cheap...

Edited by Swedge, 14 May 2014 - 03:33 PM.

• Conandoodle likes this

anybody in the Sumter S.C. area???

#42 Radzap

Radzap

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:35 PM

Correction:  Buy all the expansions, keep the cards, use the Rebel models as debris/asteroids for your board.

• AdmiralThrawn and Conandoodle like this

Imperial Ships:  5 Tie Fighters -- 5 Tie Interceptors -- 1 Tie Advanced -- 1 Tie Bomber -- 1 Firespray-31 -- 1 Lamba-Class Shuttle

Rebel Scum: 3 X-Wing Fighters -- 1 Y-Wing Fighter -- 1 B-Wing Fighter -- 1 A-Wing Fighter -- HWK-290 -- 1 YT-1300

#43 Swedge

Swedge

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:35 PM

Oh and before you start building your own storage container price how much EVERYTHING is first. then compare it to something from battle foam...I did that and found battle foam to be the cheaper and waaaay better alternative, but do your own cost benefit analysis... 

• Conandoodle likes this

anybody in the Sumter S.C. area???

#44 allistorpreist

allistorpreist

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:09 PM

My one piece of advice would be, get more advice. One piece won't cut it.

After that, I would probably give you two pieces.

Two starter boxes are a great investment. You will still want a Tie Figter expansion (for Howlrunner) and the X Wing (for Wedge!) but honestly, two X's and 4 TIEs gives you a great starting point that is easy to play 50 point games. Adding a single expansion to each side could easily get you to 100 points. Also, the extra dice are handy.

Consider storage options! First, I have seen what happened when you slam the breaks and your pieces are all in a cardboard box. It is tragic. Second tokens and cards... there are lots. The boxes they come in are ok for a while, but look into KR, Battlefoam or just a good tackle or hobby box. It will save you a lot of pain down the road.

• Conandoodle likes this

#45 X Wing Nut

X Wing Nut

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:31 PM

In my experience there is no such thing as luck

unless your rolling dice :D

• Conandoodle likes this

#46 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:58 PM

Ok, everyone hit all the best advice. The flying obstacle courses, the looking at storage solutions, the swapping lists, the experimentation, the having fun. There isn't a lot more I can add for truly basic advice.

Well, one bit of advice. Never trust a man that flies more than one shuttle. The Lambda is terribly hard craft to fly well and the first time you fly one you will probably hate it. It's dial is terrible and it will rapidly turn into wasted points. Many players would walk away from the albino space cow after one outing, writing it off.

When you are ready to give it a try (it can be super fun, but it has the highest skill requirement of any ship in the game), read the following:

http://community.fan...ool-lambda-101/

http://community.fan...ying-an-x-wing/

• Nickotine42, Radzap and Conandoodle like this

Come on down to Sable's Shuttle Emporium for all your Alabaster Void Bison needs!

5 TIE Advanced, 6 TIE Bombers, 1 TIE Defender, 10 TIE Fighters, 6 TIE Interceptors, 1 TIE Phantom, 4 Firespray-31s, 5 Lambdas

5 A-Wings, 5 B-Wings, 6 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 4 HWK-290s, 2 YT-1300s, 2 GR-75 Medium Transports, 1 CR-90 Corvette

#47 Steak

Steak

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:02 PM

Don't fly circles around Y wings with A wings, then ask if it was bad sportsmanship.

• Sergovan, Gullwind, AtomicFryingPan and 2 others like this

#48 DR4CO

DR4CO

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:08 PM

Don't fly circles around Y wings with A wings, then ask if it was bad sportsmanship.

62caca9e97d4fd9143f05d6cea44c768f3188a05

• Sergovan, swimmingordy, Soontirbeblownup and 2 others like this

The Fleet

5 X-wings - 3 Y-wings - 4 A-wings - 2 B-wings - 1 E-wing - 2 Z-95s - 1 HWK-290 - 2 YT-1300s - 1 Transport - 1 CR-90

5 TIE Fighters - 4 TIE Interceptors -  2 TIE Advanceds - 3 TIE Bombers - 1 TIE Defender - 2 Firespray - 2 Shuttles

#49 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:13 PM

I have a bad feeling about this.
  • Sergovan, swimmingordy and Steak like this

It's not easy being green.

#50 Imagined Realms

Imagined Realms

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:23 PM

These are not the words you're looking for (!)
  • Sergovan and Steak like this

Come visit me at Imagined Realms.

#51 Mystblade

Mystblade

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:25 PM

Advice for this forum, not really for X-wing Miniatures playing:

Flame wars not make one great.

Just FYI wouldnt it be "Make one great, Flame wars do not." ??

#52 Revanchist

Revanchist

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:29 PM

Nope. This is a modified quote from Yoda Himself "Wars not make one great."
  • magadizer likes this
Imperial: 5 TIE/ln, 1 TIE/adv, 5 TIE/in, 1 TIE/sa, 1 Firespray-31, 1 Lambda
Rebel: 3 X-wing, 1 Y-wing, 1 A-wing, 1 B-wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300

"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."

#53 Revanchist

Revanchist

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:13 PM

I agree with allistorpriest, there is not just one piece of advice. But if someone mugged me in the alley and the only way to not get robbed was to give the guy X-wing advice, it would be this:

Play as every ship; learn how each flies. Then you can choose one that you like the best and build a list around it. This will help you when you face an opponent as you already know what all the ships are capable of.
  • Conandoodle likes this
Imperial: 5 TIE/ln, 1 TIE/adv, 5 TIE/in, 1 TIE/sa, 1 Firespray-31, 1 Lambda
Rebel: 3 X-wing, 1 Y-wing, 1 A-wing, 1 B-wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300

"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."

#54 DrStranglovin

DrStranglovin

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:23 PM

Fly what you like or intrigues you. Even if it is a
Rebel ( pukes a little bit) ship. Jk :)
Play what ya like and the best advice is have
fun. Fly on brother!
  • Radzap and Conandoodle like this

#55 magadizer

magadizer

• Members
  • 923 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:52 PM

Perhaps you should be playing Attack Wing.... ;-)
  • Revanchist likes this
Be seeing you.

#56 Conandoodle

Conandoodle

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:10 AM

Wow some great advice.Thank you all. Will definitely practice my flying. Practice flying other models, avoid pants optional games, etc.

Some conflicting information regarding purchases. I think i will treat them like pokemon, and catch them all.

Themetalbikini.com is the most amazingest awesomest website in existence for xwing stuffs. It is been super helpful. For any other noobies I cannot recommend it enough.

This has been fantastic. Thank you all very much!!!

Jx
  • swimmingordy, Digitalkiller and Tasteoclese like this

I'm a noob ..please be gentle.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS