Photo

If you could give the new guy one piece of advice .. what would it be?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 Khyros

Khyros

• Members
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:27 AM

Slow down your purchases.  Honestly.  I first picked up the game about a year ago, during the W1 and W2 shortages, before the dark times, before the emp... I mean... Before the reprints came out.  I had quite a bit of fun searching around different LGS and B+N trying to find new ships.  Which meant as I got a new ship, I was totally excited to play with it and couldn't stop thinking of ways to try it out.  This was the same for when I got my 2nd Y wing and what not.

But then W3 hit and I decided that I was going to buy everything the moment it was released so I wouldn't have to deal with out of stock issues anymore... 8 months later, I still haven't played with any of my bombers, and I kinda miss getting new stuff "added" to my collection.

This has the added benefit of allowing you to figure out how a specific ship flies before you move onto the next ship.  For example, the X wing loves his 1 speed straight and bank, but knowing when to use the 3 speed bank and turn is what separates it from a B wing.  Likewise knowing when to barrel roll or 1 turn makes a B wing unique from an X wing.  The Y wing loves to just fly in circles with the 2 turn and use his turret, but the occasional 3 bank and 3 turn is what keeps its options open over the HWK (as someone who's recently spent quite a bit of time a HWK instead of a Gold, I'm really starting to miss that white 3 bank).  Don't become too reliant on a single ship because then other ships that fly differently will start to feel inferior.

And obviously, have fun.

• Sergovan, Klutz and AdmiralThrawn like this

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#22 skyhwk290

skyhwk290

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:29 AM

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no substitute for a good blaster at your side"
  • R2ShihTzu and X Wing Nut like this

#23 bzinfinity

bzinfinity

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:31 AM

Above all else have fun.  

Listen to advice on meta gaming, but don't be afraid to fly anything and everything in every configuration.

I have won several games on a better-than-social gaming level (aka - not in a local tournament, but not a "friendly" game at home) with lists that would DEFINITELY not be considered "Tier 1" tournament lists. 

The most wonderful part of this game is that you honestly can do just about anything you want as long as you are good at it. 

There are literally thousands of viable builds in this game, it is simply a matter of your piloting and strategic skill with a healthy dose of how bad the dice do / don't screw you. Relying on tricks or heavy synergy can sometimes bite you when it doesn't go your way for a few turns, but it can also mean winning with some off the wall out-of-the-box thinking.

Rebels: (4)X-Wing,(2)Y-Wing,(3)B-Wing,(2)HWK,(1)YT-1300,(2)A-Wing,(1) GR-75,(1)CR90,(2)E-Wing,(4)Z-95

Imps: (5)TIEs,(3)Squints,(3)Lambda,(2)Firespray,(1)TIE Advanced,(3) TIE Bomber,(2) Defender,(2)Phantom

"What the hell is an aluminum falcon?" - Robot Chicken

#24 R2ShihTzu

R2ShihTzu

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:38 AM

Learn the game at your own speed and use your own experience as a guide. You will know your strengths and weaknesses much better if you build upon your own experience rather than rely upon what you read online.

Also, "pants optional" tournaments are generally to be avoided at all costs.
  • Punning Pundit and Conandoodle like this

#25 Cptnhalfbeard

Cptnhalfbeard

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:46 AM

Not sure if it's been covered, but:

9 out of 10 times, having more ships in your squad is better than having more upgrades. I used to load up ships in my squad with all kinds of upgrades, then lose miserably. Now I only use a few upgrades across the entire squad and do much better. Each ship only fires once a turn, so having 4 shots is typically better than having 3.
  • BaronFel, Punning Pundit and Conandoodle like this

#26 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:04 AM

Be conservative with your maneuver choices. If you're not sure you can make it, you probably can't.
  • CatPeeler, Sergovan, AtomicFryingPan and 3 others like this

A study in scarlet letters.

#27 MajorJuggler

MajorJuggler

MathWinger

• Members
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:16 AM

Let the wookie win.

• BaronFel, AdmiralThrawn, Sanchez and 1 other like this

#28 magadizer

magadizer

2014 X-wing Store Championship Participant

• Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:22 AM

Advice for this forum, not really for X-wing Miniatures playing:

Flame wars not make one great.

• Conandoodle likes this
Be seeing you.

#29 InstantAequitas

InstantAequitas

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:39 AM

Whether you win or lose, ask your opponent if you can swap lists and replay the game. This helps you become a well rounded pilot by learning what makes the other side tic. If Know what your enemy wants to do by putting yourself in his position you can gain valuable intel that can help you succeed. This also helps when you or your buddy are trying to pick apart the local meta by establishing what makes certain squads weak.
  • Sergovan, SableGryphon, AdmiralThrawn and 2 others like this
Favorite squad for me currently: #stressbot
Wes+VI+R3-A2/ Blue Sqd. Pilot+FCS+Ion Cannon/ Blue Sqd. Pilot+FCS+Flechette Torp x2+Munitions Failsafe/ Bandit Sqd. Pilot. 100pts

#30 Old Adept

Old Adept

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:22 PM

Dont BE or put up with DOOSHES. Play for fun and remember you like Star Wars.
  • Digitalkiller and Conandoodle like this
I have NOTHING clever to say.
NO ONE cares about what ships I have.
NO ONE cares if I win or loose.

#31 Nickotine42

Nickotine42

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:25 PM

Whether you win or lose, ask your opponent if you can swap lists and replay the game. This helps you become a well rounded pilot by learning what makes the other side tic. If Know what your enemy wants to do by putting yourself in his position you can gain valuable intel that can help you succeed. This also helps when you or your buddy are trying to pick apart the local meta by establishing what makes certain squads weak.

I like this.  Going to start doing this.  

• InstantAequitas and X Wing Nut like this

#32 Tasteoclese

Tasteoclese

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:39 PM

Don't let a game full of bad rolls discourage you. Unfortunately, I have a hard time getting my brother to play anymore since he had a few games with very unfortunate rolls and doesn't like that randomness. As somebody else mentioned, you really don't have control over this; all you can do is maximize your probability of rolling well by using actions and positioning yourself well.

Also, play lists that don't necessarily follow the tournament meta (I have had success with a 3 Y-wing list) and have a ton of fun!

• BahnCalamari and Conandoodle like this

Rebel: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 1 YT-1300, 2 B-wing, 2 HWK-290, 1 GR-75

Empire: 8 TIE Fighter, 2 TIE Advanced, 5 TIE Interceptor, 1 Firespray-31, 2 TIE Bomber, 1 Lambda shuttle

#33 polmoneys

polmoneys

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:48 PM

you will become a better player. Just keep playing. Enjoy the ride.

Edited by polmoneys, 14 May 2014 - 01:49 PM.

• Cubanboy and Conandoodle like this

#34 Radzap

Radzap

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:59 PM

Go for the JUGULAR!

• Sanchez and Conandoodle like this

Imperial Ships:  5 Tie Fighters -- 5 Tie Interceptors -- 1 Tie Advanced -- 1 Tie Bomber -- 1 Firespray-31 -- 1 Lamba-Class Shuttle

Rebel Scum: 3 X-Wing Fighters -- 1 Y-Wing Fighter -- 1 B-Wing Fighter -- 1 A-Wing Fighter -- HWK-290 -- 1 YT-1300

#35 KillMaimBurn

KillMaimBurn

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

If I could offer you only one piece of advice for the future, sunscreen would be
it. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by
scientists whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable
than my own meandering
experience…I will dispense this advice now. Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth; oh nevermind; you will not
understand the power and beauty of your youth until they have faded.
But trust me, in 20 years you’ll look back at photos of yourself and
recall in a way you can’t grasp now how much possibility lay before
you and how fabulous you really looked….You’re not as fat as you
imagine. Don’t worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as
effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing
bubblegum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that
never crossed your worried mind; the kind that blindside you at 4pm
on some idle Tuesday. Do one thing everyday that scares you Sing Don’t be reckless with other people’s hearts, don’t put up with
people who are reckless with yours. Floss Don’t waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes
you’re behind…the race is long, and in the end, it’s only with
yourself. Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you
succeed in doing this, tell me how. Keep your old love letters, throw away your old bank statements. Stretch Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know what you want to do with your
life…the most interesting people I know didn’t know at 22 what they
wanted to do with their lives, some of the most interesting 40 year
olds I know still don’t. Get plenty of calcium. Be kind to your knees, you’ll miss them when they’re gone. Maybe you’ll marry, maybe you won’t, maybe you’ll have children,maybe
you won’t, maybe you’ll divorce at 40, maybe you’ll dance the funky
chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary…what ever you do, don’t
congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself either – your
choices are half chance, so are everybody else’s. Enjoy your body,
use it every way you can…don’t be afraid of it, or what other people
think of it, it’s the greatest instrument you’ll ever
own.. Dance…even if you have nowhere to do it but in your own living room. Read the directions, even if you don’t follow them. Do NOT read beauty magazines, they will only make you feel ugly. Get to know your parents, you never know when they’ll be gone for
good. Be nice to your siblings; they are the best link to your past and the
people most likely to stick with you in the future. Understand that friends come and go,but for the precious few you
should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and
lifestyle because the older you get, the more you need the people you
knew when you were young. Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard; live
in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft. Travel. Accept certain inalienable truths, prices will rise, politicians will
philander, you too will get old, and when you do you’ll fantasize
that when you were young prices were reasonable, politicians were
noble and children respected their elders. Respect your elders. Don’t expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund,
maybe you have a wealthy spouse; but you never know when either one
might run out. Don’t mess too much with your hair, or by the time you're 40, it will
look 85. Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who
supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of
fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the
ugly parts and recycling it for more than
it’s worth. But trust me on the sunscreen…
  • polmoneys and Conandoodle like this
Imperials: 7 ties, 2 advanced, 6 interceptors, 1 firespray, 2 shuttle,
2 bombers, 3 Defender, 3 Phantom
Rebel Scum: 3 x wing, 1 y wing, 1 a wing, 1 hwk, 1 b wing, 1 Falcon,
1 Transport, 1 e wing, 1 z95

#36 zathras23

zathras23

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:50 PM

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of the women.

Seriously though, one trick I learned early on playing this game, when setting a ship's dial, point the open wedge of the dial in the same direction as the ship is pointing. It'll help keep your ships from flying into things or off the board.

Edited by zathras23, 14 May 2014 - 02:51 PM.

• Punning Pundit, Radzap, Sanchez and 1 other like this

#37 Sanchez

Sanchez

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:59 PM

It's a game, so have fun.
  • Conandoodle likes this

#38 CatPeeler

CatPeeler

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:00 PM

Miniature Market, sir.  They've saved me... at least $200. 

• Digitalkiller, Sanchez and Conandoodle like this

#39 Sanchez

Sanchez

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:01 PM

Miniature Market, sir.  They've saved me... at least $200.

Yes, this too.
  • Punning Pundit, Radzap and Conandoodle like this

#40 Punning Pundit

Punning Pundit

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:18 PM

Read The Metal Bikini early and often. Put it on your RSS reader. Read the entire archives. It's a great source for understanding the game.

http://www.themetalbikini.com/

• Caadium and Conandoodle like this

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS