Photo

If you could give the new guy one piece of advice .. what would it be?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Conandoodle

Conandoodle

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:52 AM

As the title states .. I'm new to the sport, have read some tutorials, forums, etc. but thought I would throw an invitation out there to offer some advice. Maybe a trick you picked up, a mistake you made, a resource that has been invaluable, so on and so forth.

So my friends, what one piece of advice would you pass on to the guy who just joined fighter school?

I'm a noob ..please be gentle.

#2 pure tanith fury

pure tanith fury

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:55 AM

Get out now! Only kidding, I only just started playing myself so I can't help, I need help actually, lol.

• Digitalkiller and Blail Blerg like this

#3 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:56 AM

Practice formation flying, through asteroids, with enemy ships, without losing actions and still maintaining fire arcs.

• Sergovan, GroggyGolem, jasonkw and 1 other like this

#4 SDCC

SDCC

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:58 AM

As someone who is very new myself I'll say this.

Don't forget to use your actions! 

• Jo Jo and Conandoodle like this

Check out my blog at http://www.superdstuff.com/ where I review comics and films. Or maybe 'like' the Facebook page where I share anything I think is Super Duper - https://www.facebook...superduperstuff

8 x TIE Fighter. 4 x TIE Interceptor. 2 x Defender.

#5 Soontirbeblownup

Soontirbeblownup

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:02 AM

Get a better paying job... you're gonna need it!

Remember unique pilot skill on their cards, the amount of times people forget those (i always do!) actions and spend time getting used to templates so you have a rough idea where you'll end up.

Although if flying a turreted ship just fly onto asteroids ALL the time, seriously, you'll be doing anyone who flies TIE Interceptors a massive favour and you'll be liked universally! ;-)

*note only the middle option is serious! although it does cost a lot when you really get into the game!

• AdmiralThrawn and Conandoodle like this

#6 swimmingordy

swimmingordy

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:06 AM

Buy a bigger storage container than you'll think you need. These things are like Pokemon, gotta catch em all.
  • Sergovan, PS10, Mace Windu and 4 others like this

#7 Khsofsso

Khsofsso

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:10 AM

Try every ship in all types of combos. The overall meta has changed a lot over last couple of years. With new waves its always worth changing things up.

The main thing for starters is movement. As been stated already just fly a few different ships around some asteroids try going maximum and minimum speeds see where they end up.
  • Conandoodle likes this

#8 bzinfinity

bzinfinity

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:16 AM

The best thing you can do for yourself is to learn to fly. 

I have started several people this way, and they can usually avoid the common pitfalls of hitting asteroids or blocking themselves afterwards. 

Set up a table slap full of asteroids and coke cans and whatever else, and practice flying the ships through the field. When you first start out, lay out the templates before you pick, so you can get an idea of what they will do. 

As you get better, make the spaces smaller, try flying multiple ships together. 

If you can make it through a whole game without losing actions or flying through / landing on asteroids, you will be head and shoulders above a lot of X-Wing players. 

If you want to complicate the exercise to really improve your game, add enemy ships in the mix and try to get them in arc without getting in theirs while dodging asteroids. 

• Conandoodle likes this

Rebels: (4)X-Wing,(2)Y-Wing,(3)B-Wing,(2)HWK,(1)YT-1300,(2)A-Wing,(1) GR-75,(1)CR90,(2)E-Wing,(4)Z-95

Imps: (5)TIEs,(3)Squints,(3)Lambda,(2)Firespray,(1)TIE Advanced,(3) TIE Bomber,(2) Defender,(2)Phantom

"What the hell is an aluminum falcon?" - Robot Chicken

#9 mlbrogueone

mlbrogueone

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:20 AM

Above all else have fun.  

Listen to advice on meta gaming, but don't be afraid to fly anything and everything in every configuration.

If you want to mess around with a Y-wing fully loaded with proton torpedoes even though the meta says ordinance is not worth it, go on ahead and do it.

There is a time and place for learning the meta and prepping for a tournament, and there is a time to fly Luke, Wedge, Porkins, Biggs, and all Red and Gold squadron pilots and pretend it is the battle of Yavin.

Also, fly what you love, even if it is a little different from the current meta. This game is fairly balanced and just about any ship can be competitive if used right.

So remember have fun!

• InstantAequitas, AdmiralThrawn, bzinfinity and 1 other like this

#10 Digitalkiller

Digitalkiller

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:22 AM

Buy 2 starter sets at first, then the other ships depending on your preference/budget.

• InstantAequitas, PS10, Mace Windu and 4 others like this

----------------

In a country... far... far... away

#11 Ken at Sunrise

Ken at Sunrise

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:23 AM

Fly casual and don't take anything too serious.  It is just a game.

Start small and see what you like to play.  This will help fight the urge to over buy.  You really don't need everything (unless your competing) but it is so cool having everything.  You are however better off starting with two core sets.  Don't be afraid of dumb combos, they're often quite surprising.  Read the rules, subtly will get you.

Oh and what everyone else said too.

Welcome to the fray.

Edited by Ken at Sunrise, 14 May 2014 - 07:23 AM.

• Conandoodle likes this

#12 Conandoodle

Conandoodle

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:24 AM

Some great and varied advice. Thank you all very much.

I will definitely be practicing the flying component. Great tip regarding setting a field and navigating through it.

Was great to hear from some other newcomers too.

Keep the advice rolling in people. It is clear there are a few other rookies out there who might benefit from this.

I'm a noob ..please be gentle.

#13 Rocket Launcher

Rocket Launcher

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:27 AM

Learn to visualise the movement templates on the table.

• GroggyGolem and Mace Windu like this

#14 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:39 AM

Shooting is almost entirely chance based due to dice, however you have almost complete control over your maneuvers so learn those well by flying various ships in simulations around the tabletop as others have said.

I've got to a point where although i may not roll well enough to get kills and avoid getting killed, i can fly certain ship types insanely well - formation ties and tie-ints through dense asteroids for example.

Once you've figured out the flying the rest is just a case of trying different combinations of squadrons and upgrades until you have the most fun (this will vary by player and their local community).

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#15 Skargoth

Skargoth

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:57 AM

Koiogran jousting is a trap. If you think a few moves ahead you can plan a direction of escape and where to come about.

#16 BahnCalamari

BahnCalamari

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:01 AM

Focus fire. Damage means nothing unless you finish them off.

• BaronFel, PS10, Mace Windu and 2 others like this

X-Wing

Spoiler

ANr:

Spoiler

#17 Popn618

Popn618

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:02 AM

Low ps high quantity usually beats high ps low quantity.
“It’s not impossible. I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they’re not much bigger than two meters.”

#18 Red G

Red G

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:02 AM

The key to doing well is formation flying. Learn how to do it by watching some youtube videos then practicing the moves on your own. Also, asteroid placement is surprisingly important. In casual games I've just placed asteroids down randomly, but in tournaments you and your opponent will alternate placing asteroids. Learn what asteroid formations help you and impede your opponent. With those two things behind you, you'll be flying like Baron Fel in no time. Good luck recruit, and may glory be to the Empire!

#19 Imagined Realms

Imagined Realms

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:14 AM

Just one? Man, that's hard:

- Get ready to have some fun;

- But two starter sets;

- Practice flying something in formation (a group of TIEs is great for this), seeing how things change as turns/banks occur;

- Practice estimating in your mind the length of the templates and the adjustments that barrel rolling or boosting can lead to; 

- Learn the dials of ships you could be up against (or at least get something you can refer to);

- Understand that low PS pilots have strengths other than just their cheapness (they're great blockers, for example); 

- More than any other game I have played, get into the mindset of trying to predict what your opponent is going to do and how to react to that in advance, whilst simultaneously realising a good opponent will be doing exactly the same.

- If you're a bit of an old cynic like I am, make sure you let the game rekindle the awesomeness that is Star Wars.

Finally, if you don't have a really active scene near you, or can't participate as much as you might otherwise want, look into  'Vassal' - an awesome PC board game emulator for which X-Wing not only works extremely well, but has a very active player base.

Welcome aboard and have fun - it's great.

Edited by Imagined Realms, 14 May 2014 - 08:15 AM.

Come visit me at Imagined Realms.

#20 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

• Members
  • 985 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

First - Sometime you gamble on a fart and you win sometimes you lose,
Second - there is no killer list that is the be all end all list try out all the ships and find out your style and what you like.
I have ships.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS