• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 paddyb812

paddyb812

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:16 AM

Hi,

I have recently bought the EotE rules and a friend has asked me to GM a taster session at her FLGS. There are a number of adventures in the resources, but they all appear to run over multiple sessions. Does anyone have/ know of a convention style scenario that runs in about four hours ish. It may be that there is a link lurking within these forums, but I've searched and haven't found one.

Cheers,

Paddy

#2 the-hypnotoad

the-hypnotoad

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:32 AM

Did you not want to use the Beginner Box adventure? I have run it twice now for two different groups and it clocked in at almost exactly 4 hours each time.

#3 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:34 AM

Have you looked at Under a Black Sun? Of all the published adventures produced by FFG, I quite like this one. I think I ran it with my group in about 5-6 hours, but I tacked on some lead-in material so I could have it fit into my campaign.

They party doesn't have to hit all 3 investigation locations so there's some wiggle room to shorten it on the fly if you need to.

Other than that, I agree with the-hypnotoad, Age of Rebellion Beginner Box and Edge of the Empire Beginner Box are designed for test games for players and GMs new to the Fantasy Flight Star Wars Roleplay experience, or even new to RPGs entirely.

• awayputurwpn and 2P51 like this

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#4 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:52 AM

We ran the one from the GM screen, Debts to Pay, in a night.  It might've been more than 4 hours, but nothing ridiculous.

• iandimitri likes this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#5 awayputurwpn

awayputurwpn

• Members
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:54 AM

I have not played through Under a Black Sun, but it was designed for convention play and comes with some great pregens. I'd use that.
  • iandimitri likes this

#6 keeganevans

keeganevans

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:24 AM

I'll add my vote for Under a Black Sun. I ran it with a group who had never seen the this system or dice and it worked out great. The variety of investigation encounters (and not needing to hit all of them for the story to be plausible) helped it not feel as "on the rails" as the beginner box adventure while still allowing a gradual pace for rules introduction. We did it in about 4 hours, including a quick rules introduction, but that was only visiting 1 of the 3 investigation locations.

Speaking of rules, I printed out two copies of the first 10 pages of the PDF to be a quick read and reference for my players throughout, as well as a few of the reference documents that are linked in the pinned topic on this board (combat charts with suggested uses for Advantage/Threat in particular).

• iandimitri likes this

#7 DeathStarJanitor

DeathStarJanitor

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:17 PM

Echo the vote on Under a Black Sun. Lots of optional mini-encounters included beyond the 3 main investigations. My group had a really fun time with the first scene with some very creative out of the box thinking so it took a while. We skipped some of the optional encounters. Only played for about 2 hours with a newbie group so we are in the midst of the 1st investigation. Will probably do one more then go to the final. Will most likely end up at 5 hours total for us. 

If you wanted to run everything you could probably go 6-8 hours pretty easily .

• iandimitri likes this

#8 Salcor

Salcor

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:36 PM

I rub a weekly episodic campaign which focuses on adventures that can be completed in one session. I recommend going to wookiepedia and search for web adventures. It will list all of the wotc adventures published online, and it will link to the PDFs on archive.com. They are pretty quick to convert.

Salcor
  • iandimitri likes this

#9 OggDude

OggDude

• Members
  • 945 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:49 PM

Personally, Escape from Mos Shuuta is a great one-session adventure, and is probably the best one they've come out with.  It's simple, it's fun, it showcases a lot of different game concepts, it has excellent pacing, and is great for beginners.  I've run it at a convention to great effect, and I'm planning on running it again at KublaCon in a couple of weeks.

• 2P51 and iandimitri like this

Oggy

Get the latest SW Character Generator and GM Tools (Version 1.2.0.0, Released 7/24/2014) 

Drop BoxManual Install  Web Install     Google DriveManual Install  Web Install

#10 iandimitri

iandimitri

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:35 AM

I would suggest Escape from Mos Shuuta or Debts to Pay. Those are both shorter adventures. My group played Debts to Pay in 4 hours.

It took us about 7 hours to play Under a Black Sun (two sessions). The players hit 2 of the investigation areas and two additional contacts they created during they investigation. 

• 2P51 likes this

I run an EotE game. It's All in the Trigger Squeeze. - Campaign for the Anozira Sector Rangers.

#11 paddyb812

paddyb812

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:58 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies. I haven't got the beginners box just the core rulebook so I haven't got 'Escape from Mos Shuuta', though just thinking (cue clanking and grinding sounds), is there anywhere I can get it from FFG without buying the beginners box? I suspect not. That said  I have downloaded 'Under a Black Sun' from the site and I am going to get the GM's screen at the UK Games Expo at the end of the month so that'll give me another option with 'Debts to Pay'. Not having played the game yet I didn't know how long these scenarios took to run, but with your input I have a much better idea.

I'll have a look at wookiepaedia as well.

Once again thanks for the all the kind replies.

Regards,

Paddy

#12 awayputurwpn

awayputurwpn

• Members
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

If you're on the fence, the Beginner Box is totally worth it, IMO. There are a lot of places you can get it at a discount, and since it includes a compliment of dice ($15 by themselves), it's a pretty good buy...includes the adventure, maps, cardboard chits for characters for graphical representation on the maps, and Destiny Point tokens. Not to mentioned the gorgeous character folios. I love my Beginner box :)

Just my 2 credits!

Edited by awayputurwpn, 16 May 2014 - 12:09 PM.

#13 Nate

Nate

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:08 AM

I wrote "Hunter and Hunted" for use at a game day; it runs a little under four hours.

https://www.dropbox....Hunted SWGE.pdf

-Nate

#14 Dex Vulen

Dex Vulen

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:24 AM

I'll throw in my vote for the Beginner Box.  Mostly because it doesn't sound like you have dice and it comes with them.  It really is a great jumping off point.  You can easily change a few things around if you have an idea from the start where ya want a campaign to go.

Ask your players what kind of ship they want and swap that out for the Kryat Fang that is in the BB.  Makes a memorable way to acquire a starting ship.  Especially for new to RPGs players.

Also, the follow up, Long Arm of the Hutt, is pretty simple for new players and GMs alike.  That can be downloaded at...

http://www.fantasyfl...eidm=224&esem=4

Good times!

• kaosoe and iandimitri like this

Proud Member of the Gand Anti-Defamation League.

#15 Orjo Creld

Orjo Creld

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:16 AM

I agree the beginner box is totally worth the time and money, especially if you need the dice.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS