Photo

Anyone know why the Z-95 looks the way it does?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 TheWanderingMiller

TheWanderingMiller

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:37 PM

The only place I've seen them is in Star Wars Galaxies. I don't like them either, I'm used to the blocky Z-95 models from TIE Fighter with the shark teeth modeled on.

I wish FFG was a little more permissive in allowing model modifications, then I'd have no hesitance about clipping them off and pen-drawing in chutes on the nose.

No sane person is going to kick you from a tournament for clipping the pods. If they did, thats a tournament you don't want to play in anyway, because "Fly Casual".

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

Besides, you could always just say that it accidentally broke.

"The size and shape of a ship model cannot be modified in any way."  Wouldn't the pods be considered be part of the shape?  So by standards you could be kicked from event / play if you didn't have a replacement.

As for pods, I probably wouldn't have realized them myself, but definitely not original design, only supported by SWG concepts.

Yeah, that used to be the rule. That exact line is no longer in the tournament rules. It currently says: 

"Players are welcome and encouraged to personalize their squads according to

the following rules. The TO is the final authority on any component’s eligibility
in the tournament. If a component is ruled ineligible and the player does not
have a replacement for it, that player is disqualified from the tournament.
Ship models may be painted as desired as long as the alterations are not
offensive and do not adversely affect another player’s experience."

Hence my comment that "No Sane Person" would kick you out of the tournament. Taking off the pods does nothing to change the game experience and if my opponent wants to "win" like that and the TO backs him up then I made a mistake coming to this tournament. I guess if you are SO competitive that you want to win the game for a minor cosmetic change to a ship, then I didn't want to play with you anyway. Keep it casual, guys. 

You missed the relevant part from the Tournament Rules.  The very next sentence states "The size and shape of a ship model cannot be modified in any way."

#22 Danthrax

Danthrax

• Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:41 PM

Yeah, good luck playing in an FFG-sanctioned event like at GenCon or Worlds with a Z-95 that's had its missile pods snapped off. But I guess they're insane and not flying casual, right?

#23 eagle1361

eagle1361

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:50 PM

The solution: buy double. Modify half. If someone has a problem with it, you can whip out the unmodified ones. :o

I agree, fly casual and have fun. I sure wouldn't complain if you wanted to modify your little plastic ship as long as you don't change the size of your base. Doesn't change one thing about game play.

#24 Tervlon

Tervlon

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:51 PM

The only place I've seen them is in Star Wars Galaxies. I don't like them either, I'm used to the blocky Z-95 models from TIE Fighter with the shark teeth modeled on.

I wish FFG was a little more permissive in allowing model modifications, then I'd have no hesitance about clipping them off and pen-drawing in chutes on the nose.

No sane person is going to kick you from a tournament for clipping the pods. If they did, thats a tournament you don't want to play in anyway, because "Fly Casual".

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

Besides, you could always just say that it accidentally broke.

"The size and shape of a ship model cannot be modified in any way."  Wouldn't the pods be considered be part of the shape?  So by standards you could be kicked from event / play if you didn't have a replacement.

As for pods, I probably wouldn't have realized them myself, but definitely not original design, only supported by SWG concepts.

Yeah, that used to be the rule. That exact line is no longer in the tournament rules. It currently says: 

"Players are welcome and encouraged to personalize their squads according to

the following rules. The TO is the final authority on any component’s eligibility
in the tournament. If a component is ruled ineligible and the player does not
have a replacement for it, that player is disqualified from the tournament.
Ship models may be painted as desired as long as the alterations are not
offensive and do not adversely affect another player’s experience."

Hence my comment that "No Sane Person" would kick you out of the tournament. Taking off the pods does nothing to change the game experience and if my opponent wants to "win" like that and the TO backs him up then I made a mistake coming to this tournament. I guess if you are SO competitive that you want to win the game for a minor cosmetic change to a ship, then I didn't want to play with you anyway. Keep it casual, guys. 

You missed the relevant part from the Tournament Rules.  The very next sentence states "The size and shape of a ship model cannot be modified in any way."

Ah, my document from 4/14 doesn't have that. I see it was updated on 4/21 with that sentence.  Noted. 

Yeah, good luck playing in an FFG-sanctioned event like at GenCon or Worlds with a Z-95 that's had its missile pods snapped off. But I guess they're insane and not flying casual, right?

Correct. ;)

Nova Squadron Member 

#25 akodo1

akodo1

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:14 PM

Star Wars official encyclopedia doesn't show the missile pods.

http://starwars.com/.../z95headhunter/

Remember, that is the 'clone' version whose cannons and little front wings are also different.

I am less familiar with the versions that have those big underwing missile pods, but depiction of even the 'regular' headhunter is somewhat variable.  Some versions have two big engine intakes that feed into 4 rear rockets, others have 4 smaller engine intakes that feed into the same kind of 4 rear rockets.

This is the kind that looks most normal to me

1387519658856.jpg

#26 bsmith13

bsmith13

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:16 PM

I will buy three FFG Z-95s in case I want to take them to a tournament.  But there are other models of Z-95s I like better.  I have already ordered them.

#27 Bjorn Rockfist

Bjorn Rockfist

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:03 PM

There is no pic here, but this may be what model they were going with since it did have the missile racks.

http://starwars.wiki...95ML_Headhunter

Rebel - (4)X-Wing (5)Y (5)A (4)B (3)E (6)HWK-290 (8)Z-95 Headhunter (3)YT-1300 (2)GR-75 (1)CR-90

Empire - (8)TIE Fighter (4)Advanced (5)Interceptor (6)Bomber (3)Defender (4)Phantom (3)Firespray-31

(4)Lambda-class Shuttle (4)Imperial Aces

SOONtir -  (6) Rebel Aces

#28 Khyros

Khyros

• Members
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:53 PM

Interestingly... If you look at the Wingman card, they don't have the missile pods.

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#29 XAQT78

XAQT78

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:21 PM

There is no pic here, but this may be what model they were going with since it did have the missile racks.

http://starwars.wiki...95ML_Headhunter

+1 Nailed It!  Great Job!

Moving to New Hampshire this week, can't wait to start collecting & battling!

Prequel Consistencies and Contradictions

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS