Photo

Anyone know why the Z-95 looks the way it does?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Millennium Falsehood

Millennium Falsehood

• Members
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:12 AM

Okay, this has been bugging me for a while:

Why does the Z-95 Headhunter's mini have those missile pods under the wings? No illustration I've ever come across had them, and I think it detracts from the look of the ship.

Has anyone seen this in an illustration or a comic somewhere?

Rebel Alliance: 7 X-wings, 5 Y-wings, 4 A-wings, 1 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290s, 3 B-wings, 1 GR-75, 1 CR-90, 5 Z-95 Headhunters, 1 E-wing

Galactic Empire: 7 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 Firespray-31s, 1 Lambda class Shuttle, 3 TIE Bombers, 2 TIE Interceptors, 3 181st TIE interceptors, 3 Royal Guard Interceptors

"Main characters defeat a Star Trek villain? Give 'em a Star Wars celebration!"

#2 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:18 AM

The only place I've seen them is in Star Wars Galaxies. I don't like them either, I'm used to the blocky Z-95 models from TIE Fighter with the shark teeth modeled on.

I wish FFG was a little more permissive in allowing model modifications, then I'd have no hesitance about clipping them off and pen-drawing in chutes on the nose.

#3 Ken at Sunrise

Ken at Sunrise

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:38 AM

Star Wars official encyclopedia doesn't show the missile pods.

http://starwars.com/.../z95headhunter/

Edited by Ken at Sunrise, 14 May 2014 - 06:38 AM.

#4 Conandoodle

Conandoodle

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:53 AM

Maybe it is just to differentiate them a little more ....

I'm a noob ..please be gentle.

#5 Ken at Sunrise

Ken at Sunrise

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:34 AM

P.S.  The encyclopedia states:

Weapon
Wingtip-mounted laser cannons
recessed torpedo launchers

I guess on the model they are not so recessed?

#6 Skargoth

Skargoth

• Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:44 AM

Z95.jpg

Looks like it originated in Star Wars Galaxies, because this is the only image I've seen of it. That said, I like the pods considering the Z-95 carries missiles in XMG.

You don't need to strip your miniatures, painting over is fine. No, there should not be a fourth faction, three is the magic number for countering flavor lists and to break up faction distribution. Someone else has likely thought up and posted your amazing new build, so you don't need to stroke your ego when reposting it. The prequels sucked and so would a game based on it. YES, there should be a Custom Forum for terrain and repaints! Moving on...

#7 Danthrax

Danthrax

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:57 AM

Presumably, FFG has consulted with Lucasfilm on the model, and the model we're getting is now canon.

• LukesFather likes this

#8 Tervlon

Tervlon

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:07 AM

The only place I've seen them is in Star Wars Galaxies. I don't like them either, I'm used to the blocky Z-95 models from TIE Fighter with the shark teeth modeled on.

I wish FFG was a little more permissive in allowing model modifications, then I'd have no hesitance about clipping them off and pen-drawing in chutes on the nose.

No sane person is going to kick you from a tournament for clipping the pods. If they did, thats a tournament you don't want to play in anyway, because "Fly Casual".

• oneway, Galactic Funk, Digitalkiller and 1 other like this

Nova Squadron Member 

#9 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

Pending Forum Submission

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:24 AM

I think the z95 is ok. I mean at some point if guess the idea came from it being a pre X-wing so it needs to look like a step back. I think with the flaws it still is ok.
I have ships,
Pew Pew Pew

#10 Galactic Funk

Galactic Funk

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:36 AM

No sane person is going to kick you from a tournament for clipping the pods. If they did, thats a tournament you don't want to play in anyway, because "Fly Casual".

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

Besides, you could always just say that it accidentally broke.

#11 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:36 AM

Its an EU ship that has had iterations in how it appears over the years, i have no problem with how FFG have handled it as it helps differentiate the model from an X-Wing at a glance.

• Hrathen likes this

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#12 XAQT78

XAQT78

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:15 AM

"The size and shape of a ship model cannot be modified in any way."  Wouldn't the pods be considered be part of the shape?  So by standards you could be kicked from event / play if you didn't have a replacement.

As for pods, I probably wouldn't have realized them myself, but definitely not original design, only supported by SWG concepts.

Moving to New Hampshire this week, can't wait to start collecting & battling!

Prequel Consistencies and Contradictions

#13 InstantAequitas

InstantAequitas

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:30 AM

This is the only configuration I knew growing up because it is drawn that way in the Expanded Guide to Vehicles and Vessels. I didn't get into computer games as a kid so I never got to play X-wing vs TIE fighter or the other games in that series. I think it looks fine and much better than the other permutations of the Z-95 that could have been used.
Favorite squad for me currently: #stressbot 3.0
Wedge+predator / Wes+VI+R3-A2 / Blue Sqd pilot+FCS / Bandit Sqd pilot.

#14 Swedge

Swedge

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:45 AM

yeah but if you clip the missile tubes off then your Z-95s cant have missiles.....

• oneway and Revanchist like this

anybody in the Sumter S.C. area???

#15 zathras23

zathras23

• Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:57 AM

The way I look at it is that it's a different variant of the Z-95. We have plenty of examples in the real world where later models of military aircraft were changed externally from the original model. Just look at the aircraft of WW2 for examples of this.

#16 Ken at Sunrise

Ken at Sunrise

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

The way I look at it is that it's a different variant of the Z-95. We have plenty of examples in the real world where later models of military aircraft were changed externally from the original model. Just look at the aircraft of WW2 for examples of this.

Either way I love the FFG Star War's miniatures.  They look great!

#17 Battalia

Battalia

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:34 AM

Wonder what people would think if FFG minted the version with "triple blasters" =p

#18 Tervlon

Tervlon

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:37 AM

"The size and shape of a ship model cannot be modified in any way."  Wouldn't the pods be considered be part of the shape?  So by standards you could be kicked from event / play if you didn't have a replacement.

As for pods, I probably wouldn't have realized them myself, but definitely not original design, only supported by SWG concepts.

Yeah, that used to be the rule. That exact line is no longer in the tournament rules. It currently says: 

"Players are welcome and encouraged to personalize their squads according to

the following rules. The TO is the final authority on any component’s eligibility
in the tournament. If a component is ruled ineligible and the player does not
have a replacement for it, that player is disqualified from the tournament.
Ship models may be painted as desired as long as the alterations are not
offensive and do not adversely affect another player’s experience."

Hence my comment that "No Sane Person" would kick you out of the tournament. Taking off the pods does nothing to change the game experience and if my opponent wants to "win" like that and the TO backs him up then I made a mistake coming to this tournament. I guess if you are SO competitive that you want to win the game for a minor cosmetic change to a ship, then I didn't want to play with you anyway. Keep it casual, guys. 

Edited by Tervlon, 14 May 2014 - 10:37 AM.

• Digitalkiller likes this

Nova Squadron Member 

#19 Stinger07

Stinger07

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:53 AM

Presumably, FFG has consulted with Lucasfilm on the model, and the model we're getting is now canon.

I really wish that FFG would comment on these kinds of things, maybe even have an "ask the developers" section.

I have been involved with the Battletech Community and their developers are always on the forums.  I wish that were the case here...

#20 Forgottenlore

Forgottenlore

Midnight Dreary

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:14 AM

I really wish that FFG would comment on these kinds of things, maybe even have an "ask the developers" section.

I have been involved with the Battletech Community and their developers are always on the forums.  I wish that were the case here...

Well, we know that last year at gencon the model for the corvette was "awaiting approval from lucasfilm" or something along those lines. So it is pretty certain that all the models have been looked at and rubber stamped by LFL.

Thanks, Troy

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS