Munitions Failsafe...fail

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Jo Jo

Jo Jo

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:49 PM

Is this card going to be worth putting on any secondary that has 4 attack or greater? How often are you going to completely whiff with four attack dice? The only two ordinances I could see this card be worthwhile is the Ion missiles and fletchette torps. Not that 1 point is a huge investment, but if you put it on Protons, then you have a 5 point proton torpedo. That could very well give you one hit.

Also, does it work with Bombs?   

• Aminar likes this

"And then, we'll remind the Rebellion what war is all about." 

#2 InvestFDC

InvestFDC

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:52 PM

You could target lock the hits (Homing Missile) hoping for eyes or blanks.... :)

No on bombs.

Flechette will be the main focus and on munitions used against high Agility (why?) ships.

Edited by InvestFDC, 13 May 2014 - 06:54 PM.

#3 oddeye

oddeye

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:54 PM

my initial thoughts were the same, not really sold on it as a upgrade. Though I will say there are more new expansions and cards coming out. I'd bet that sooner or later there will be more than a few decent combos with it as more upgrades are released.

I see your schwartz is as big as mine. Let's see how you handle it!

#4 Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:57 PM

Probably a good investment if you're up against phantoms

#5 Mace Windu

Mace Windu

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:58 PM

I think that the best use of it will be on bombers with multiple ordinance to maximize the effectiveness.

Additionally if your firing a 5 point assault missiles at a swarm the odds of landing a hit on 4 attack die without focus against 3 agility die with focus is slightly more than 50%, for 1 more point I would like to have another go next turn if it misses the first time round..

• Galactic Funk and Ribann like this

Rebel Freedom Fighters: 5 Z95, 4 X-Wing, 3 B-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 1 HWK 290 & 1 YT-1300

Imperial Oppressors: 5 TIE Fighter, 3 TIE Bomber, 4 TIE Interceptor, 1 TIE Phantom, 2 Firespray & 1 Shuttle

#6 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:19 PM

Simply put, unmodified attacks are terrible, especially against high agility targets or targets with multiple tokens.  If you are forced to shoot at either of these, you will likely whiff your missile.  Even next to Captain Jonus, I have had my assault missiles miss during the critical alpha strike against ships like interceptors or focused TIE fighters.  The fact that you have to spend your target lock to activate the attack is a big part of the reason ordnance isn't competitively popular.  It's expensive, and it isn't a sure thing because you can't modify the dice without a second action or a support ship.  Now, you have a 1 point insurance policy option.  To me, it seems like an attempt to make ordnance more competitive or to coax players into loading more than one missile onto some ships.  It has helped me already in social games, so who knows.  Definitely glad we have the option at least.  

• Digitalkiller, DraconPyrothayan, LeoHowler and 2 others like this

#7 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:26 PM

Of course, you run into the problem that while it can be very useful against high agility targets like TIEs (and Phantoms especially), it ends up being much less productive against B-Wings and YT-1300s and Imperial Shuttles.  Which makes it a meta call for total value.

#8 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:28 PM

Is this card going to be worth putting on any secondary that has 4 attack or greater? How often are you going to completely whiff with four attack dice? The only two ordinances I could see this card be worthwhile is the Ion missiles and fletchette torps. Not that 1 point is a huge investment, but if you put it on Protons, then you have a 5 point proton torpedo. That could very well give you one hit.

Also, does it work with Bombs?   

You don't have to wiff, you just don't have to connect. If you get two hits and they evade both, munitions failsafe still works. Also in my first epic game, I fired assault missiles at a Falcon who had 0 agility thanks to a critical, next to an x-wing and a b-wing that both had 1 HP left. Because of some jamming garbage and other factors, I had to fire my AMs without a focus… i literally only needed one hit result to destroy at least two of the three, possibly all of them depending the results. blanks and focuses all 'round.

#9 Jo Jo

Jo Jo

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:28 PM

Probably a good investment if you're up against phantoms

I would just wait til I got a good shot of them decloaked. The few times I have used torps or missiles, they tend to hit hard against 2 agility ships or lower. Just make sure they don't have an evade action on. 

"And then, we'll remind the Rebellion what war is all about." 

#10 Skargoth

Skargoth

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:39 PM

If I had a bad roll on a torpedo or missile that would maybe do 1 damage from modifying concussion or proton dice or from a focus token I think I would elect to not use for a chance at a better hit next round. I've also whiffed too many assault missiles to overlook munitions failsafe.

#11 Damoel

Damoel

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:08 PM

Its an insurance policy. 90% of the time you have it, you'll wonder why you wasted the money, the rest of the time you'll be thanking the stars its around.

Edited by Damoel, 13 May 2014 - 09:00 PM.

• Vonpenguin, polmoneys, Sithborg and 4 others like this

Fleet timez!

Anarchists: 3 A-Wing, 3 B-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 6 X-Wing, 3 Z-95, 3 E-Wing, 2 HWK290, 2 YT-1300, 2 GR-75, 1 CR90

Good Guys: 6 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/AD, 3 TIE/D, 6 TIE/IN, 4 TIE/SA, 4 Phantom V38, 2 Lambda Shuttle, 2 Firespray-31

#12 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:14 PM

Its an insurance policy. 90% of the time you have it, you'll wonder why you wasted the money, the rest of the time you'll e thanking the stars its around.

also it's nice to know that 1 squad point might mean that you didn't just blow 8 squad points in one ship.

• zhentil and Engine25 like this

#13 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:32 PM

I'll side with the "cheap insurance" crowd.

When you fire ordnance you want it to hit.  If it doesn't you've now wasted all of those points, and likely a TL, on something that did you little good; I say "little good" because maybe tokens were spent avoiding the attack.  When you look at something like an Assault Missile where you REALLY need that hit because you want the secondary effect (splash damage) to activate that miss is devastating.

• Engine25 likes this

#14 swimmingordy

swimmingordy

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:33 PM

I've seen it. Assault missiles on Vader - all blanks... Not much you can do about that, unless you have fail safe...

#15 Lagomorphia

Lagomorphia

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:02 PM

Is this card going to be worth putting on any secondary that has 4 attack or greater?

Against Ys, Bs and Falcs, no. The vast majority of the TIE family, however...

#16 Damoel

Damoel

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:39 PM

And even against them.... lets face it, we have all wiffed against those ships. And then cried. A lot.

• SableGryphon, Mace Windu, Lagomorphia and 1 other like this

Fleet timez!

Anarchists: 3 A-Wing, 3 B-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 6 X-Wing, 3 Z-95, 3 E-Wing, 2 HWK290, 2 YT-1300, 2 GR-75, 1 CR90

Good Guys: 6 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/AD, 3 TIE/D, 6 TIE/IN, 4 TIE/SA, 4 Phantom V38, 2 Lambda Shuttle, 2 Firespray-31

#17 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 538 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:44 PM

Think of it as a 1 point (delayed) Gunner, on a small ship, that works once for every Missile/Torpedo you have on said ship. If you have already invested in ordance, you'd want that ordnance to do something, this upgrade increases the chances of that (and this game is often about chance).

Edited by Keffisch, 13 May 2014 - 11:45 PM.

#18 LeoHowler

LeoHowler

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:46 PM

You know what it's a good combo with? Flechettes. You can still miss with it, and it will still create stress on the target. That, to me, is totally worth it. Gonna abuse that fact with Horton Salm. :D

• berusplants likes this

~Remember Alderaan~

Alliance Fleet: 4 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300, 1 GR-75

Imperial Navy: 5 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Bomber, 2 TIE Interceptors, 1 TIE Advance x1, 1 Lambda Class Shuttle, 2 Firespray 31

#19 Damoel

Damoel

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:51 PM

I like that idea, but it feels like a gimmicky version of Hobbie with the stress droid. Though... hmmm... both maybe.... muahaha.....muahahahahhhhahah. Okay, I'm better now.

• Rocket Launcher likes this

Fleet timez!

#20 Sekac

Sekac

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:55 AM

I'm gonna run it on Hobbie with flechettes and HOPE he misses every time. If he hits, I can't double stress anymore... :(

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS