YT-1300 Question

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 swiftdraw

swiftdraw

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:03 PM

The YT-1300 is Rarity 4. That puts it on the near end of Average. It shows up as commonly among starships as blaster pistols do among ranged weapons.

In other words, it's the Honda Civic Hatchback of starships.

Or, as my players refer to as, the white panel van of the galaxy. Apperantly taken from here:

• Metallicar Syndrome: Averted but discussed early, where Chase drives the Runaways around and one of them complains about how uncool his plain white van is; he responds that he got it on purpose because a plain white van is the most inconspicuous vehicle possible.

• Col. Orange likes this

#42 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:39 AM

The YT-1300 is Rarity 4. That puts it on the near end of Average. It shows up as commonly among starships as blaster pistols do among ranged weapons.

I think Rikoshi was closer to hitting the nail on the head when he made a tweeted that YT-1300 = Ford F-150 of Star Wars, but the general idea is there.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#43 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:44 AM

Another element of the YT-1300 in the 'verse is that it's an old design.  We see one flying into port in Revenge of the Sith, a good 20 years prior to the events of A New Hope.  Also, the Falcon itself looks pretty beat-up, so between the age of the design and that particular ship's run-down appearance, it'd be small wonder that Leia (who is probably far more used to seeing more modern ship designs) was taken aback that her "rescuers" were planning on escaping the ultra-modern Empire in a jalopy, only adding to her less than stellar first impression of Han (Luke had proven himself at least semi-capable by that point and likely willing to listen to her, though how much of that obedience was due to his infatuation is up for debate).

In the Thrawn Trilogy (five years after RotJ), Han even notes that the Noghri (when attempting to capture Leia and her unborn twins) must have raided a museum to get a working YT-1300 to mock-up to look like the Falcon.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#44 Deve Sunstriker

Deve Sunstriker

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:28 AM

I think Rikoshi was closer to hitting the nail on the head when he made a tweeted that YT-1300 = Ford F-150 of Star Wars, but the general idea is there.

Being a native Texan, I can assure you that an F-150 is at least a Silhouette 5 vehicle.

“I cast bad motivator on Darth Vader’s legs!”

#45 swiftdraw

swiftdraw

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:59 PM

As another Texan, I disagree, its sil 4, with the F-350 being sil 5 :P

• kaosoe likes this

#46 artteach

artteach

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:29 PM

When my children were preteens when they gained a YT-1300 and immediately stated they wanted to paint it red, white, and blue and call it the Bicentennial Eagle.  They then became the most patriotic freighter in the galaxy.

I think Han Solo uses the force to feel what is to the port side and just doesn't know it.

• kaosoe likes this

GM of the PbP DarkStryder Campaign at www.dailydoserpg.com

#47 RogueCorona

RogueCorona

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:33 AM

Another element of the YT-1300 in the 'verse is that it's an old design.  We see one flying into port in Revenge of the Sith, a good 20 years prior to the events of A New Hope.  Also, the Falcon itself looks pretty beat-up, so between the age of the design and that particular ship's run-down appearance, it'd be small wonder that Leia (who is probably far more used to seeing more modern ship designs) was taken aback that her "rescuers" were planning on escaping the ultra-modern Empire in a jalopy, only adding to her less than stellar first impression of Han (Luke had proven himself at least semi-capable by that point and likely willing to listen to her, though how much of that obedience was due to his infatuation is up for debate).

In the Thrawn Trilogy (five years after RotJ), Han even notes that the Noghri (when attempting to capture Leia and her unborn twins) must have raided a museum to get a working YT-1300 to mock-up to look like the Falcon.

Yeah in the Legends universe the YT-1300 you see landing in ROTS eventually becomes the Falcon after being rebuilt and modified dozens of times, and she was already 40 years old when ROTS takes place.

#48 Ryoden

Ryoden

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:43 AM

Yeah in the Legends universe the YT-1300 you see landing in ROTS eventually becomes the Falcon after being rebuilt and modified dozens of times, and she was already 40 years old when ROTS takes place.

:lol:

Why? Why? Why cant it just be a unnamed YT-1300.  Sometimes I think it is just beyond silly the degree to which the EU authors took obscure unnamed elements of the film and pigeon-holed them into "the big" story.  No insult to you what-so-ever I just needed to laugh out loud at that one.

• Col. Orange and Hedgehobbit like this

#49 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:58 AM

:lol:

Why? Why? Why cant it just be a unnamed YT-1300.  Sometimes I think it is just beyond silly the degree to which the EU authors took obscure unnamed elements of the film and pigeon-holed them into "the big" story.  No insult to you what-so-ever I just needed to laugh out loud at that one.

IMO, it's not really any worse than Anakin having built C3PO,

• Lancer999 likes this

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#50 Lancer999

Lancer999

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:00 AM

What, I am not allowed to call my friends car the Bicentennial Lemon because it NEVER worked longer than 1 week at time??!!  Or his Mazda Miata a Barbie Car because NOBODY 300+lbs could fit in that damn thing?? :)

"Make sure your shields are on Double Front, or you'll get your @$$ shot off!"

#51 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:02 AM

A friend of mine just got rid of the Tempo of Doom.
  • kaosoe likes this
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS