Photo

Do you think we will no longer get any large expansions now?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:41 PM

Hi Granville,

Some very good points here, but overall, it seems that your idea for the Ocean (which I like) would be a neat POD. Or a bigger expansion, somehow. Maybe a large 'thicker' paper underlay sheet (so not a board) which encompasses the entire board, leaving a circle around it, as the route around. The spaces between boards ('boardlet' areas) could be those pirate coves or safe harbours (one on each side).

other than that, I like a Maelstrom deck (want a card that takes you to Davey Jones' Locker, *and* a portal/whirlpool to the CoC, of course)

#42 GrimGuvna

GrimGuvna

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:29 AM

To directly answer the question:

Yes, i fully expect to see more large box expansions!

There should be a nautical themed big box expansion ( note the lack of Nautical characters, no Pirate yet) with a board with islands, ocean and celebrity get me out of here encounter spaces.

I fully expect and hope to see a big box epic level expansion (ala Dragon) to explore the other planes of existence and deal with Demonic/Devil and celestial interference in the world O Talisman.  No Scifi please though. Wouldnt fit the theme.

I would dearly love to have another epic level big box expansion that covered the theme of the Undead lords.  However i have a feeling that will be covered in a small box expansion after Woodland.  The previous small box expansions have taken NPC's from the inner region and unleashed them into the world (Werewolf/Grim Reaper).  there will be another for the Vampire lord and hopefully lots of juicy evil undead themed adventure cards with Zombies/Vampires and the inland revenue.

SO in summary 2 more big box expansions I beleive.

Pleanty of scope for mini POD expansions though.

• 0beron likes this

#43 Vandal Thorne

Vandal Thorne

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:12 AM

I've been thinking about the idea of nautical expansions and it occurs to me that instead of board overlays and side boards, they could just make an alternate game/board (e.g., Talisman Bay/Island) that is nautical themed. Smallworld did something similar with Smallworld Underground. This could provide opportunities for mixing and matching components.

• DomaGB likes this

#44 Gumshoe_nr1

Gumshoe_nr1

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:23 PM

To all of you thinking of small boards between the corner boards. These spaces exists because the fourth (not revised) edition has a smaller main board. If ffg are about to user them the game is no longer compatible with that version. And the "upgrade kit" would be kinda stupid.
I myself use the "forth" main board because its smaller and the corner fits more nicely.

#45 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 509 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:26 PM

My friend says the Dragon board does not fit in the center properly in the Black Box edition, and if that's true, your theory doesn't work. :unsure:  :ph34r:

But, I don't think they will make boards there anyways...   :rolleyes:  :blink:

Edited by DomaGB, 06 August 2014 - 11:28 PM.

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#46 Lord Kalten

Lord Kalten

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:51 PM

I think the answer is 'yes'.  As someone mentioned, it depends on the profitability of the game.  Talisman has a huge advantage as a game not just for new players, but also the oldies that had 2nd Edition etc.  The vast majority of those that loved Talisman in the past that come back and love it, have bought every expansion.

We've also been past the worst from an economy perspective, so there aren't likely to be any unexpected cut backs at FFG.

I imagine that the game also does vastly better than variant games like Relic, so we'd see support for that drop before Talisman.

Small expansions are definitely safe.  Large expansions are whether or not they think teams should be working on new games or expanding other games.  There is always going to be new themes that can be added - the game was never limited to 4 corner expansions and one inner region expansion other than in people's heads.

#47 Tons-Home-rules

Tons-Home-rules

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:00 AM

If I had to guess, I think they will bring out more new "big" expansions.  Whether they are corner or center expansions I think they would then go the "Last Night on Earth" route.

i.e. in that game, it's "Choose / Random a center piece.  Choose / Random 4 corners.  That's your board."

Predecent = the Dragon expansion adds an overlay to the center board.  I'm sure some people with Dragon don't use it.  Other do use it.

Ditto new corner pieces.  Though they'll probably make rules on how you can add a corner piece TO a corner piece.  Like

[

[   [___

[___

if you can tell from my crude graphic...

Edited by Tons-Home-rules, 10 August 2014 - 04:00 AM.

#48 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:04 AM

I think its more likely that there will be small expansions than large. 

I think it would be more likely that after several years they would want to do a new, revised 5th edition. However several years could be more than 5, in my opinion.

#49 adjogi

adjogi

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:23 PM

Come, come!

Surely, we are limited only by our imagination?!

There is no reason at all there cannot be big box expansions** (as well as small ones of course!) Four corners completed does not necessarily mean the end of the road! To quote Dr. Emmett Brown "you are not thinking fourth dimensionally".

OK. A stretch...but at least try for three  :D

** oh...come with me to the open sea......

Welcome to "Monsters & Magic", a NJ based Talisman Game Club!

www.njtalisman.com

#50 Artaterxes

Artaterxes

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:49 PM

You can see that the Firelands and Woodland break the mold and include unique and creative, thematic mechanics. I would not be surprised if the next big box expansion is something unexpected - and impressive.

Edited by Artaterxes, 10 August 2014 - 08:50 PM.

#51 Alfax

Alfax

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:53 PM

Okay, I have a fairly large table. Large enough to have a game of Talisman laid out with all four corner expansion (once the last corner comes out) and the Dragon expansion and have four people sit around it comfortably if not slightly cramped with stacks of adventure cards. If they choose to wrap new corners around existing corners (and I would be all for that) the problem I see with it is room to play. You're talking about a game that's already roughly 3' x 5' ... (rough guess, I haven't measured) I just think at some point it's too big . I understand not everyone uses every expansion during every game but you should be able too if you want to so to me, making it so that if you use the newer expansions you should shelve the older ones to make room isn't an option and would stop me from spending money on the game

Edited by Alfax, 10 August 2014 - 09:55 PM.

#52 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 509 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:27 PM

That's why they need to make a smaller board. More room for other expansions.

So not only could they make a Deluxe Edition with a smaller board and 4 smaller corner boards (or all attached as 1 board), they could come out with new expansions with 2 sizes of boards afterwards or normal size as well as a small size board that comes with a small main board. 

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#53 Lord Kalten

Lord Kalten

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:29 AM

I think the key thing with Talisman (and it's exactly the opposite of Relic) is that the game is a journey.  The thing that makes Talisman what it is especially when playing from new is the vast number of cards to explore and that's what makes the game magical.

I would say that just an expansion with more adventure cards and spell cards and character cards would be great.

I think that companies only introduce the next edition when the previous edition has begun to get tired and not selling and there's an appetite for it to be redone.  It's unlikely that FFG will do the Games Workshop route where new editions come out at the height of a game's popularity aka Epic Space Marine in a bid to get people to rebuy all their models.

I also think its long overdue for them to put some effort into modernising the FAQ - wait until Woodlands has been out 6 months and answer most of the questions on the forum that are conflicting! :)

#54 Lord Kalten

Lord Kalten

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:26 AM

I'd also love it if anything that went into the Digital Edition came out onto the physical board as an expansion or mini-expansion! :)

• Alfax likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS