Photo

Do you think we will no longer get any large expansions now?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 Granville

Granville

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:46 PM

I know that you traditionally find extra boards in the big boxes, but if they did go with the "boardlet" idea and stuck two boardlets in the next expansion, they could probably fit in a small expansion.

I'm still hoping for a blender box. The Woodland really looks like the developers were listening as the known contents of the box already seem like a lot of fan service.

#22 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:01 PM

I'm delighted with what we know so far. I agree with you; its like they listened to some of us.

Boardlets could be double sided and maybe have 2 or 3 in the set. Demon Side, Ocean Side, etc.

They could also have an expansion set of just/more characters. Or mixed in some new alt endings. 

I have no idea what criteria developers would use at this point. They must have some sense of market/opinion to know how feasible, how likely a fan is to purchase, any particular expansion. Do most players have extremely large and wide tables? Or play on their floors or other surfaces?

These kind of questions go into their process.

It could be just as likely that they might attempt 'levels' someway of having a new board above the current boards, or not - -  going back to boards adjacent to current boards or boards that lay over existing boards.

• DomaGB likes this

#23 Nemomon

Nemomon

• Members
  • 796 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:21 PM

I thought the Timescape was great fun, back in the day. I am not convinced it could be the same in the 4th edition. I wouldn't rule out my own interest, but I agree that 'other' dimensional travel and adventure is more plausible in the context of this fantasy game:

Demon realms

Death realms

Angelic realms

Realm of Giants/Giant beings (many myth-stories, Greek, Norse, etc.)

Atlantis, Avalon?

Underwater realms, In-the-clouds-realms, Subterranian realms

Eastern/Asian myth realms (Monkey King), Native American (Trickster/Coyote, Spider-Woman)

The theme of the `Timescape` could be everything. Important is gameplay - a board in which a player cannot decide where he moves, but he ends his movement on a random and dangerous space and he must encounter it whether he wants that or not. A board in which You can escape to, so for a little while You will be protected from the very bad Ending card (provided that You won't die while lurking in that Region). And a very small deck of cards so the chances of drawing useful cards are much higher (but to happily use them, You must leave that Region alive...).

Everything that can be done in any theme, it doesn't have to be SF. Even inside of the Pandora's Box - Nether Realm - would be fine. ;)

Enter the Talisman Island!

#24 Czev

Czev

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:54 PM

Here he goes again with the water again.  I swear Oberon, I'm going to make a Rubber Dingy card for you man.  Sorry man, couldn't help myself, saw ocean and the Rubber Dingy popped into my head.  No offense meant, just a little humor.

• 0beron likes this

Yes ladies and gents, I really am highly concentrated WTF!!!!!!

#25 Granville

Granville

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:04 AM

You know thinking about it, The Sea/Ocean/Maelstrom would be the next feasible expansion. I dont really know the Lore of the game but I think the land of Talisman is in fact an Island?

And I think it could be managed without a large board, similar to the corner boards in play. Simply add two docks/beach "boardlets" to the game and a Maelstrom deck.

Docks/Beach "region": 1-4 spaces draw a card from the adventure deck as per normal. A docks space where you can "Voyage" and then every turn you choose to be at sea, you're drawing from the Maelstrom deck, which is so brutal you question why you left Talisman Island in the first place. :P   Card 1: "Lost at Sea" You are dead.

Anywho, nautical travel could be handled with a simple deck. Include some cool weather effects that may effect the entire table like Blizzard and all set. 

The only issue I see is it really takes away from the roll and move randomly aspect of the game.

#26 Artaterxes

Artaterxes

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

The nice part about Talisman is that you can't have too many Regions. Players who buy only one or two expansions will only have those extra regions to explore. Players who buy all the expansions and play with all of them understand that the length of time to play the game could increase, but they don't care.

Since expansions don't depend on each other, you can have as many Regions as you want.

But, we are at a unique point in Talisman history. The next Region will be something never seen before, unless it's the Timescape. Where will it be? How will you get to it? I'm excited to find out, assuming it is a Region.

#27 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:07 PM

We need an Island Expansion based around Jon's idea which he did for 2nd Edition!

• Archdruid, Felis, JediKnightAmoeba and 1 other like this

#28 TheMetal1

TheMetal1

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:53 PM

So with the small boards, I think we're looking at 2 thin boards and 2 boards about 2 to 3 spaces wide.  That leaves the Plains, the woods, the graveyard and the Sentinel as other entry points for smaller boards, assuming entry to the Woodland expansion is through the Forest...

While the could do small board expansions, they expand those smaller sections by making them T-shaped.  with the top of the "T" creating a new region.  

From the Various boxes this implies additional unexplored locations

1.  "It is the Frostmarch, brought here across the northern waters by the Ice Queen."  

2.  "Ifrit rise from their underground kingdom"

#29 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:08 PM

Ping pong table :-) reminds me of my gaming sessions in the military!

...No we don't need Timescape, but I want it!

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#30 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:17 AM

So with the small boards, I think we're looking at 2 thin boards and 2 boards about 2 to 3 spaces wide.  That leaves the Plains, the woods, the graveyard and the Sentinel as other entry points for smaller boards, assuming entry to the Woodland expansion is through the Forest...

While the could do small board expansions, they expand those smaller sections by making them T-shaped.  with the top of the "T" creating a new region.  

1.  "It is the Frostmarch, brought here across the northern waters by the Ice Queen."  

2.  "Ifrit rise from their underground kingdom".

I actually wonder what the directions, the 4 Quarters are in Talisman.  It is interesting to think that the Highlands, a mountain-y area is 'North', but we don't really know. While I don't waste time thinking too much about this, since the board is always laid out the same the Dungeons probably most corresponds to North, or maybe North-East properly, with the City being North West.

Sometimes when I look at the board, imagining the final corner added, and I see those blank spaces, the thin ones on one side and the 3 space potential of boardlets on the other side, I wonder if FFG might have their own ideas.

#31 TheMetal1

TheMetal1

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:37 PM

2.  "Ifrit rise from their underground kingdom".

I actually wonder what the directions, the 4 Quarters are in Talisman.  It is interesting to think that the Highlands, a mountain-y area is 'North', but we don't really know. While I don't waste time thinking too much about this, since the board is always laid out the same the Dungeons probably most corresponds to North, or maybe North-East properly, with the City being North West.

Sometimes when I look at the board, imagining the final corner added, and I see those blank spaces, the thin ones on one side and the 3 space potential of boardlets on the other side, I wonder if FFG might have their own ideas.

Yeah I've considered that too, as where is the "Northern Waters" that lead to the Ice queen.  There isn't too much lore about the Talisman world that I recall other than the Ifrit being underground and the Ice Queen being to the north.    

FFG has pushed the use of their internal world, Terrinoth into a few of the games, most notably:  Battle Lore (2nd Edtion), Descent, Rune Age, Rune Bound, and Rune Wars.   Is Talisman set there too?  

One could argue that the game (especially the first 3 editions)  seem to be in the Warhammer Fantasy World, though where I have no idea.  

I am hoping they have their own ideas for the spaces in the board.  Though picturing it the same way you do, those thin spaces could end up being Card Holders and the 3-spaces ones other component areas.   

#32 magicrealm

magicrealm

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:53 PM

beside the possibilities of new maps like a sea map, the Talisman main board still offers a lot of possibilities.

back to the 80s with the 2df Edition we always played the warlock of the firetop mountain as the cave of the (how do you call him in english, you know the Talisman questgiver ) sorcerer ?

i would like to see the Castle, a very classic theme and guaranteed popular.

#33 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:35 PM

I saw a homebrew Castle expansion, it had some potential, but decided it didn't meet what I was looking for.

#34 Vandal Thorne

Vandal Thorne

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

I like the idea of additional board overlays or alternate corner boards. An official version of the fan-made necropolis either as an epic center board overlay of alternate corner would be fun. 

#35 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:18 AM

I MAY  be alone in this, but I don't want extra boards that present either or challenges. I want every set of Talisman to work with and be used with every other set.

So I don't want to use a board/inlay to be an ocean, if the Dragons board will not be used. I don't want to choose between expansions/use with major components like boards.

Of course I'm not such a hard-case that I wouldn't consider... building up, off the board. ( 3-D!). so have an alt board be a board that is raised up somehow over the existing board. Its the Death Realm, or somesuch!

Similar raised boards over the corners could be the ocean, but I'd like an easy way/path to get there. Something that makes and looks like "sense".

All of this would probably involve more plastic pieces of some sort to raise and stabilize such boards.

Adding boards around the existing boards won't work for people unless they have a ping pong table they can repurpose (I've thought of this, btw)

#36 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:35 PM

I wouldn't want to choose between corner boards either, but I don't mind changing the center. The dragon center board does not thrill me.

#37 scottindeed

scottindeed

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:57 AM

I'd like to see alternate center sections or corner sections. I keep all my expansions separately and personally never use them all at once, especially the small boxes as the theme gets diluted.

#38 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:00 AM

Well, upon reconsideration, we do use/not use the Dragon board inlay, so, I guess I could see other alternate center boards, but not so much the corner regions. 

The concept of alternating inlay centers does bring some inspired answers to the various suggestions or desires of players; A Necropolis/Ocean~Pirate/Timescape~Other Dimensions realms or new regions.

So, to me, going beyond that, creating new or alt boards for the 4 regions, or new adjacent (therefore more area space needed) boards seems a bridge too far. Number 1, it would take at least 2 or 3 years for the production of them.

I am, of course, not leaving out the prospect that a mini-board, a 'boardlet' as someone termed it, that fills in the space between region boards on the long side, might be a compromise between larger sets and smaller sets. Some of the themes we talk about could happen in a boardlet perhaps.

#39 Nemomon

Nemomon

• Members
  • 796 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:23 AM

Well, upon reconsideration, we do use/not use the Dragon board inlay, so,

Use the Dragon Tower with the Nether Realm cards. Enough good challenge for the Inner Region ;)
  • 0beron likes this
Enter the Talisman Island!

#40 Granville

Granville

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:39 PM

We did a game of The Gauntlet with the Dragon Realm overlay. You had to wack the two Neither cards at the Crown of Command Space then Face the Dragon King after. The Warrior of all people won the game but he had a Rune Sword and that Spear from Firelands (Inferno Spear?) that burns cards. +Full Plate when he walked in the portal. Yeah we tried to mess with him with Spells but just no luck. ll in all it was pretty Epic but I think it was the longest game we ever played.

Other than those empty spaces between existing expansions I don't know if I really want to see more board.

I do want to see more big boxes however and Maybe if they think outside of adding boards, e can get some good content for the pricetag. I -really- like the ocean idea over all the other ones discussed even that Timescape :P

I think, instead of an ocean board, you could just have boat minatures and an ocean deck. These boats would park on the edge of the board to signify what  part of the "coast" they are on, have advanced movement to make travel faster and maybe even the "Boardlets" could work as a port or pirates cove. Every time you move on the coast, you draw from a Maelstrom Deck. It has all the perks and negatives of what you would expect from a Maelstrom deck. The Sea would be it's own "Region" without really need a huge expensive board to "Underlay" or "Add" to the existing table. AND for those on a budget, you can play with this expansion, without having all the regions and expansions for them.

Though if I had my wish, we get one big blender box for making everything "glue" together as best as it can. Maybe some kind of "Meta" (Fate?) deck.  Right now the rune gate cards are the only thing that really corresponds the regions to one another.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS