Photo

Do you think we will no longer get any large expansions now?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 kain7th

kain7th

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:56 PM

After the woodlands is released, do you think FFG is all done with giving us huge expansions?

Or if not, what else could they do?

• dianaversace1 likes this

#2 Nemomon

Nemomon

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:12 PM

They always can create campaigns like the Dragon expansion. Actually Talisman is such a great game that You can design a fantastic expansion to it on Your own knee. I'm pretty sure FFG can create big box expansions to it with so many tokens, and other stuff, or even additional small boards without actually adding new Regions to the game. For example they might design a Timescape which would be used only in a campaign, have special instructions related to that campaign, and could be useless in a normal game (therefore either one plays with it, or doesn't need it).

Enter the Talisman Island!

#3 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:58 PM

I agree with Nemomon; all that is needed is for FFG's market research to show that many/most will purchase.

There could be all kinds of campagins, as N suggest. I only played D/D way back, late '70s, and not much after the early '80s, but it seems that there were 'Dimensions' and travel to and back, for various reasons; finding much needed weapons or quests of some sort.

substitue Timescape with "Other Dimension(s)" and you have something that would fit in for almost everyone.

I could even see other 'inlay' boards like Dragon but changing to totally different things, like Dimensions above

but an inlay Desert with the CoC now in the center of the worst Desert known to humans.

Or inlay Oceans, CoC on an uncharted island.

#4 Thels

Thels

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:21 PM

If there was another "inner region" expansion set, I probably wouldn't buy it, as I'd have to pick and choose between the Dragon and the other expansion, so I might as well play with the Dragon that I already have.

#5 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

As I shared on another thread you can put the dragon expansion on the side and connect it to any space you want and use another center center region. And have both!

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#6 Felis

Felis

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:25 PM

There is hoping FFG will keep releasing big expansions, providing there will be market for them (we have to vote with our wallets ;) ).

Like I stated elsewhere, I would rather see new "stellite" boards rather than inlay boards. I like to use all of the expansions at the same time and with alternative boards that would be tricky (I'm already tweaking rules to be able to use Dragon Realm and Dragon Tower simultaneously).

As for the future expansion themes, the possibilities are endless. The obvious would be the legacy Timescape, another, mentioned countles times sea-themed one (dare I say Talisman Island? ;) ) but why stop there?

Ancient ruins full of traps, necropolis filled with every imaginable Spirits, deadly desert, giant spider infested caves, Nine Hells inhabited by demons of every shape and size... "Choose your own path to disaster!" ;)

#7 Artaterxes

Artaterxes

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:48 PM

If there was another "inner region" expansion set, I probably wouldn't buy it, as I'd have to pick and choose between the Dragon and the other expansion, so I might as well play with the Dragon that I already have.

Do you play with The Dragon every game? If so, that's dedication!

Regarding the idea of "picking and choosing" your Inner Region, our group faces the same situation. It seems the standard Dragon rules are technically an alternative ending of their own, except it doesn't come with its own ending card. Additionally, The Dragon does comes with three alternative endings (which use the cards and tokens in their own ways). So in total there are four endings included with The Dragon. Before every game of Talisman our group chooses whether or not to play with The Dragon standard rules. If not, we only use components from The Dragon if one of the other three endings is drawn.

Is that what you do too? Or do you use the standard Dragon ending every game and house-rule other alternative endings in the same sessions? Like I said, if so, that's dedication!

I think it is possible to include another campaign-style expansion that doesn't require replacing the Inner Region. :)

#8 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:14 PM

We play with everything, every time we play.  You can't separate the expansions....they were born, errr..... made, to be together.  :-)

We use our own D10 variant but we still use everything all the time.  And we almost always use the dragon tower middle board with a hidden variant ending.   With two Horrible Black voids(1 from timescape) to choose from, this is half the fun!  :-)

If you have not seen my D10 variant it allows the use of the Reaper, Werewolf and Nether deck without sacrificing any time playing.  We also added a second set of hand-picked firelands cards to our deck of adventure cards and in the last game we actually saw some terrain cards in play and some burn tokens.  It was pretty awesome! 

#9 Granville

Granville

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

When it comes to releases you usually get a small box then a big box, but now we have pods so who knows.

If we are lucky enough to get another big box, how about something off the wall?

A big box of characters, because you can never have enough characters.

Two boardlets for the sides representing two rival factions at war and the camps for both; a bunch of tokens that spread around the table as faction influence, but is less complicated than The Dragon. Then again...does war really fit in the "exploration" theme of Talisman? Dunno.

The game really does have a little of everything when it comes to game mechanics and themes.

Of the top of my head I would like to see a character or mechanic that allowed you to move monsters around the table.

#10 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:13 PM

I want cards that players can play to give bonuses to monsters! And either more Nether realm cards....or the Nether realm added to Strange Eons! :-)

#11 chemical22

chemical22

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:56 PM

I think there is a simple answer.

As long as Talisman makes them money and there is a demand, there will be many more expansions of different sizes to come.

I do think, we'll see that their optimal profitability comes from Print on Demand.  So I think we'll be seeing a lot more of these micro expansions.

#12 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:58 PM

PODs have the potential to clarify previous expansions, mechanics, etc. They can also add more vibrancy to previous ones, or just enhance the tapestry that is a Talisman game.

#13 magicrealm

magicrealm

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:28 AM

there will be another small box Expansion after the woodland for very sure. if there will be more boards is an exciting question.

i personally would make another Mainboard which could be market as an ownstanding game, all expansion could be added around it, and , of course, fans would place it at the edge of the old Mainboard and play with both.

#14 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:14 AM

Do you have it on some authority that there will be another small box "for very sure" ?  Hope you're right.

I wonder if this could work for an Ocean expansion - for those who use the floor, large-er tables, or...

a ping pong table?  (we did this back in the '80s, for some games. But you mostly stand around it...)

What about a foldable, paper 'sheet' that lays on the bottom and has ocean *spaces* around it.

You place the main board and its corners and the sheet, mat or whatever you want to call it has enough room for a circle of sorts to surround the boards.

Where there are no boards (the spaces I previously suggested 'boardlets' to fill in), could have a drawn, defining, harbor/dock area.

It could be drawn, illustrated, so that if you don't use all board expansions, there are still harbour areas on those corners, or even some islands.

A new rule dynamic for sea movement, but also larger boats to buy or rent for this movenment.

I'm not sure if you can visualize my idea from these words:   Play-mat that has ocean, islands, harbours etc, and the boards are built up on that with a circle of sea, surrounding the Realm of Talisman!  (still need bigger playing area!)

• Granville likes this

#15 Granville

Granville

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:29 AM

Do you have it on some authority that there will be another small box "for very sure" ?  Hope you're right.

+1

• DomaGB likes this

#16 TheMetal1

TheMetal1

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:31 PM

Well one big box expansion they could go with is Timescape.  

We could also see Games Workshop decide that they want a Warhammer Fantasy Big Box expansion which includes cards and Warhammer specific Characters. 

Of course GW could saw we'll start over with a completely warhammer fantasy talisman again.  Call Talisman 5th Edition, using components like Relic. 

#17 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:51 AM

Enough of the Timescape. We do not require a Sci-Fi Expansion! Astral Realm? Ethereal Realm? Something which has a Fantasy element.....

Edited by talismanamsilat, 25 May 2014 - 12:52 AM.

#18 Nemomon

Nemomon

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:39 AM

Enough of the Timescape. We do not require a Sci-Fi Expansion! Astral Realm? Ethereal Realm? Something which has a Fantasy element.....

I want the Timescape!

Or anything that would be played the same as the old and very good Timescape was played. It is so good expansion that FFG even doesn't need to fix anything in it to make it playable. It is playable from default.

• DomaGB likes this
Enter the Talisman Island!

#19 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:03 PM

I thought the Timescape was great fun, back in the day. I am not convinced it could be the same in the 4th edition. I wouldn't rule out my own interest, but I agree that 'other' dimensional travel and adventure is more plausible in the context of this fantasy game:

Demon realms

Death realms

Angelic realms

Realm of Giants/Giant beings (many myth-stories, Greek, Norse, etc.)

Atlantis, Avalon?

Underwater realms, In-the-clouds-realms, Subterranian realms

Eastern/Asian myth realms (Monkey King), Native American (Trickster/Coyote, Spider-Woman)

• Nemomon likes this

#20 Artaterxes

Artaterxes

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

The next Talisman expansions will be interesting.
Small-box expansions are more predictable, although they have been getting creative. Who knows how creative the new small-box will be.

As for the next big-box, that is the million-dollar question. Unless it is the Timescape, it will be the first new "big" expansion in Talisman history.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS