Photo

How do you draw characters and have you put aside any overpowered ones?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 Lord Kalten

Lord Kalten

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:38 PM

Why is having Strength 1 so bad for the Sprite? The Troll has a Craft 1 and you don't see anyone complaining about him...

Well you have more chance of battle then psychic combat when encountering other characters who will kill you off if you've only got one strength.

I guess the other thing is that (in the past anyway) you were more likely to come across a high level strength character than craft.  If I recall correctly in the 2nd Edition, there were 3 dragons you couldn't beat in strength but one ghoul type character of craft 10 or 12.  Either way, the odds seem to indicate more strength battles on the main board starting out.

Warhorses came later and you still need to be able to draw the card or afford it.

#62 Nioreh

Nioreh

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:39 PM

I like both the Troll and the Sprite. If I had to choose I'd probably go with the Sprite due to the "always two spells" ability. 

Strength/Craft 1 is mainly problematic in Battle/Psychic Combat but you are able to gain points in both attributes in loads of other ways (objects/followers/strangers/places/temple and so on).

#63 Lord Kalten

Lord Kalten

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:20 AM

Yep - I absolutely love the 2 spells constantly.  It's great.  I think that in the original 2nd Edition main game, you could sort of semi-plan your strategy around the cards.  One reason why the Prophetess was so powerful was due to the original limited cards - you'd come across counterspells, temporal warps, random etc fairly frequently and then the deck would need a shuffle.

Now, it's a bit more hit and miss if you have all the expansions and whilst there are great cards out there, you're more likely to sit on cards that have no effect.  Or possibly it's fairer to say that with the wide range of cards you're less likely to come across a Psionic Blast to help a spell caster in battle in the early stages of the game.

So whilst I love the Sprite, it is quite a test at the start before the gaining of followers etc so that she is buffed.  Even with followers, they are more diverse and you're less likely to come across one that adds +1 to strength to assist early game.

Sprite is one of those characters that are really strong when you are buffed up later game, but really weak when you start and its really a case of making sure you stay out of the way of other characters and not let your progress fall behind other characters too much (as others will win the majority of their battles).  And you sort of depend on a reasonably lucky set of spells coming in early in the game.

#64 Lord Kalten

Lord Kalten

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:38 AM

By the way, in terms of the original thread, I agree that Alchemist is overall most powerful.

With the City expansion, certainly the Alchemist and Leprechaun stand out.

With the Dragon expansion there is some kind of (can't remember exactly what it's called) dragon master? card that kicks ass really fast as you draw more dragons.  There is that in between stage where other characters haven't got quite the strength to defeat dragons reliably but you can accelerate faster.  Given the right rolls, you can progress to the Crown of Command whilst the Alc and Lep are fighting for more gold and weapons.  Definitely not an overpowered character when the Dragon expansion is not in use - possibly quite weak in fact.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS