Photo

How do you draw characters and have you put aside any overpowered ones?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Nioreh

Nioreh

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:43 PM

At my place the Alchemist from the Highland expansion and the Prophetess from the base game is sitting out. Have any of you put any characters aside and for what reason?

Also, how do you draw your characters. 
We used to randomly draw 3 each and choose one but that resulted in many characters never seeing play. Now we only draw one.

#2 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:49 PM

I'm curious why those two you mentioned are sitting out?

We do not put any aside. We shuffle and deal 7 cards to each player (2 player game at my house).

You pick and play your choice, but afterwards the characters actually played are removed from future games, "until all characters have been played"

My wife tends to play only the Good characters. I play whatever I think is the best of the 7 I choose from. So at some point, either of us may have to choose characters we don't care for that much, but at least we cover all, and no character remains dusty on the shelf, forever.

• rdskinfn7 likes this

#3 Nioreh

Nioreh

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

Overpowered.

Prophetess was removed back when there was only had the base game. Now that I think of it she's not that far above the average anymore so maybe well just put her in again. 

Alchemist always quickly ends up having more money than he can spend. In other words nearly an endless amount of fate, life and spells. No one around here takes any joy from winning with him so he's just out.

I take much more joy in winning with a mediocre character. I would really have liked it when better and better characters started appearing in the expansions if they also had special abilities that had negative effects. This might have made them a bit more balanced relative to some of the not so very good base game characters.

#4 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:44 PM

We don't remove any characters from the game.

We deal 3 characters faceup to each player, so that everyone knows what characters the players have to choose from. Each character then secretly chooses 1 character to play. Finally all players reveal what character they have chosen.

If a character dies, that player gets a new character at random.

(The 3 characters are determined by drawing lottery balls from a bag which correspond to each character alphabetically.)

Edited by talismanamsilat, 14 May 2014 - 12:16 AM.

#5 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:11 PM

We prefer total freedom of choice. If someone wants the same character we roll off for it. My friend always plays the Dwarf (he is quite upset we don't have a trollslayer) and I always play someone Good or Neutral but usually an Elf(if they had a dragon warrior or High Elf I would always play that).

I don't care for random selection. That would be like playing an RPG without getting to pick your Race and Profession and that would not be cool! :-)

The only Character I see that can totally be overpowered is the Barmaid in large games with 6+ people and the Leprechaun with the City if he rolls a lot of 6's; That dude has an endless supply of money!

#6 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:13 PM

On a side not we have a lot of characters that have never been played and probably never will be played because they are pretty lame.

#7 Thels

Thels

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:19 PM

It's not an RPG, though. It's a boardgame.

The rule of keeping played characters in a box sounds interesting, but requires a steady group.

I let every player draw 3 characters at random, and pick 1. Characters that aren't picked and characters that die are returned to the box, so in case a player dies and picks a new character, he always receives 3 fresh characters, and never a character that was discarded by another player. We don't really care about the order of picking. Often enough we have new players, and I have to explain to them what their abilities mean.

#8 Granville

Granville

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:49 PM

We play with all expansion though we have not had a lot of games.

We play draw 3 at the beginning of the game.

Sometimes we let people trade characters from the draws.

We play RAW as best as we can, no other house rules.

We roll a d6: 1-2 Standard Ending. 3-4 Hidden, 5-6 Revealed or we just vote.

Neither deck is very popular so we've been defaulting "The Gauntlet" by vote of use.

The dragon realm overlay is used and once you get to the top and clear the two Neither cards, you gotta take out the Dragon King too ;) Once we even made it so you had to Crown of Command everyone out for a laugh after that as well.

Alchemist is despised at the table for the "city exploiting"  even without it, he's pretty busted. He may be the first to go.

Fire Wizard causes too many player kills; We like to PVP and play hardcore on one another, but he's just too much of an advantage when it comes to picking off another player. Grab an attack spell like Finger of Death (Worst example, but there are many.) and when he lands on your space it's just too much a hit on the Life tokens to survive. He's not shelved yet but he's killing the fun factor.

And the only other character, we've had any real problem with is the Ogre Chieftain. Pounding your way through the dungeon, make some friends, whack LOD, go to crown and WTFPWN Dragon King. But that has many a luck factor to it, so It can be just as much fail as success.

Everything else we have had no problem with.

I have piloted the Dragon Priestess to a victory with all three of the above in play in a six player game where we could pick wht character we wanted. Other two characters were the Gypsy and the Dervish. Mid-game replacements included Conjurer, Dread Knight, Troll and Assassin.

Take out the Alchemist (We intentionally dogpiled him to get him out of that game and did it quick.) and luck still serves a huge factor.

#9 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:50 PM

We change it up, but most of the time we roll a die, and the number rolled is how many random characters we each get. Once in awhile we play with 1 random character, I can't stand that myself. Recently we started something new. Roll random #, choose 1 (as noted above), but now put the rest under the chosen character. if you die you choose from the ones under your character you didn't choose the 1st time.

We haven't pulled any characters. Those characters which are powerful tend to get ganged up on! I had the thief the last time we played, and no one likes him, they ganged up on me and killed me!

Edited by DomaGB, 13 May 2014 - 04:53 PM.

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#10 Nemomon

Nemomon

• Members
  • 787 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:34 PM

I play like I have described there: http://www.talismani.../talisman_x.htm

At the start of the game players draw 5 characters and look at them. They then are handing over them to a player to their left; that player to their left must choose 1 card, secretly discard it and hand over remaining character cards to their owner. After returing cards to their owner, the owner chooses 2 character cards among them. The first character is his primary character, and the second character is the henchman.

The first character keeps his attribute values, starting space, abilities, starting equipment and alignment.

The henchman adds all his abilities (except starting Spells and gold, but adds all other starting cards such as a sword from the purchase deck). The negative abilities have priority over the positive abilities (if the couple is: Warrior + Priest, the Warrior will be unable to use his Weapons). All the abilities trigger whenever possible (for example if the primary character has an ability to force a character to lose 2 lives, and the henchman has exactly the same ability, the couple forces a character to lose 4 lives each battle). A character may decide in which order trigger his abilities.

If a player will lose his couple for the first time in the game, he draws 3 character cards and chooses 2 of them to play. Every next time he must draw 2 chararcter cards and play them.

Enter the Talisman Island!

#11 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:09 PM

On a side not we have a lot of characters that have never been played and probably never will be played because they are pretty lame.

Don't be that way! Each game is unique and has it own special *story*. Even so-called lame characters pull it off if they get the right spells, objects, followers, etc.

#12 Artaterxes

Artaterxes

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:20 PM

We don't remove any characters; we deal a single character randomly to each player who's stuck with what they drew. :P

#13 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:33 PM

Who wants to draw the Sprite?  Or the Spy?  Or the Grave Robber?    lol

Seriously though....I play a Fantasy game to play the character I want.  So does just about everyone in our group.  

Our group we all tend to gravitate towards certain races in all the games we play.  And we play a lot of them.

In Fantasy Battle we all play a different race and have been pretty consistent in the race we play for the past 18 years or so....Most of us have an alternate army but we stick to our "Race" for the most part.  :-)  

#14 Hiportes

Hiportes

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:54 PM

We don't remove any characters; we deal a single character randomly to each player who's stuck with what they drew. :P

This is exactly it.  You get what you get.  Adds to the challenge, sometimes creates underdogs, and makes sure all characters can be in play!

I can see how this would not be for everyone, but we enjoy it!

#15 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:34 AM

+1. Single random, "you drew it, you play it." Although characters are used in rotation, so each character that gets used is left in the box and isn't available to be drawn until all the characters have seen action. Gotta make sure Priest sees action, nobody would pick him.

@ JediKnightAmoeba: Not a huge fan of Sprite, but all three you listed, I'd rather draw them than at least half a dozen other characters, suck-list led by the Priest of course.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#16 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:55 AM

I used to deal 2 and choose 1, then decided to go for single random choice. It speeds up things (I hated people sitting there for minutes reading the characters' abilities) and guarantees that every character is played at least once. I keep played characters separated from characters that still have to be played, until every character had his game. Of course, I keep records of winners and losers. :D

I don't think any character needs to sit out of the game because he's overpowered. The Alchemist may be annoying with the City, but we house-ruled his ability when shopping. The Prophetess has excellent abilities but they don't make up for a guaranteed win. The Ogre Chieftain was removed for a couple of years, because he used to win every game he played, but now we reintroduced him, because a quick run through the Dungeon is not necessarily a safe strategy with so many Alternative Endings.

There are 2 characters that I do not include in the choice, unless we're playing with the Dragon Expansion: Dragon Rider and Dragon Priestess. I think their power level varies too much between a Dragon game and a standard game, especially the Dragon Rider. She can be seen as a character who's almost without abilities, even though she can win any game of Talisman.

There are very few characters I do not like to play: Dread Knight and Elf. I think their design forces them into static and predictable strategies. The Elf may get some more options with the Woodland though, as there MUST be some extra Woods spaces inside.

• 0beron likes this

#17 Rigmaster

Rigmaster

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:21 AM

We draw 2 choose 1 and keep the other as back-up. We try to keep played characters separated. 

The only restrication we have from that is that we only draw dragon characters when the dragon expansion is played, as they tend to be more powerful than the others (I know it's not true for all of them but we handle them as a group).

Otherwise we've done some minor modifications, although most of them have been changed back as more expansions have been introduced and it's seems to balance the game and it's more luck regarding drawn cards than before.

#18 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:40 AM

I always thought that about the Elf too, and wonder if the Firelands' Terrain cards will enhance that now. (Haven't played enough games to find out)

#19 Rigmaster

Rigmaster

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:14 AM

I always thought that about the Elf too, and wonder if the Firelands' Terrain cards will enhance that now. (Haven't played enough games to find out)

I agree as well. We usually play that the elf can teleport between every wood space, without region restriciton, which gives him easy access to the middle region. I still find him quite useless but it's an improvement at least.

#20 Talismaniac

Talismaniac

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:17 AM

The Alchemist has been banned from our games. We just feel he's too overpowered and unbalanced, if you amass a ton of objects or magical objects, you've basically got 30 lives right there. It just doesn't feel fun to win with him, or to lose against him either. So he can't partake in our games. The others are fair game though.

We usually draw three characters at random and then choose between those three. If we feel like spicing things up and making the game more challenging, we draw three characters and then let the player to your left pick one of the three for you. Unfair perhaps, but we think it's kind of fun. You never know what you'll end up with, but the same goes for the others as well.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS