Imdaar Alpha, what builds would you take

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 zhentil

zhentil

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

hey there everyone. After the world champion gave us his take on what to build with the new ships. What are you thinking about Imdaar Alpha builds. We have to make both ships fit in the new 100 point squad.

#2 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:35 AM

I have two ideas,
Firespay and shuttle both with HLC and Jonus flying back up.

Or

Jonus + three more bombers.
Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#3 Galactic Funk

Galactic Funk

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:37 AM

Just to clarify, you only get to build a 100 point list incorporating the 2 new Rebel ships or 2 new Imperial ships if you make the top 2 at the tournament.

Are you asking what kind of list you would build if you make the final table?

#4 Khyros

Khyros

Advocate of A & E Wings Everywhere

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:41 AM

I'm assuming you're talking about the final table.  In that case, I'd hope to select rebels, not only because I prefer to play them, but because I expect the Phantom to have a very high learning curve.  Plus, with 55 points minimum devoted to those two ships, you're not opened to many other choices, you're almost forced to run 3 elites, or 2 elites + BH.

Corran w/ FCS

Cracken w/ SL

Rookie

Rookie

Total: 100pts

This allows the Rookies to take TL+F shots pretty much every turn with Cracken handing out both his PS8 action and his attack based action to them.  Corran on the other hand would do hit and run flanking shots (assuming a pseudo useful dial), having a focus for his first attack, and a TL for his second attack.

• Papamambo and Klutz like this

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#5 zhentil

zhentil

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:34 PM

That was one thing I was worried about if you had to select Imperial Squad. Those 2 ships eat up a lot of your points. So even if you take those two main ships and deck them out okayish, you most likely be taking 2 or 3 Academy Pilots.

2 Obsidian  Squad 26pts

1 Echo with Outmaneuver and ACD 37 pts

1 Delta Squad Ion Cannon and Stealth Device 36pts

that's only 4 ships and I agree that with Rebels you totally could get 5-7 ships.

#6 Vissah

Vissah

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:42 PM

Can you gave us the link to the article of the world champ please.

I promise you, if I go down I go like a gangster and I will be firing the entire time!

Chael P. Sonnen

#7 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:25 PM

A New Imperial Protocol

Edited by VanorDM, 13 May 2014 - 03:26 PM.

• Vissah likes this

#8 Papamambo

Papamambo

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:42 PM

I'm assuming you're talking about the final table.  In that case, I'd hope to select rebels, not only because I prefer to play them, but because I expect the Phantom to have a very high learning curve.  Plus, with 55 points minimum devoted to those two ships, you're not opened to many other choices, you're almost forced to run 3 elites, or 2 elites + BH.

Corran w/ FCS

Cracken w/ SL

Rookie

Rookie

This allows the Rookies to take TL+F shots pretty much every turn with Cracken handing out both his PS8 action and his attack based action to them.  Corran on the other hand would do hit and run flanking shots (assuming a pseudo useful dial), having a focus for his first attack, and a TL for his second attack.

I'm so torn between Cracken and Blount for a list like this..  Cracken is nice in the long game, but that assault missile on Blount...

Decisions decisions..

"It isn't the bullet with his name on it that the professional soldier has to fear. It's all those addressed 'To Whom it May Concern' - Anonymous
Rebel - X-Wing (3), Y-Wing (1), A-Wing (2), B-Wing (2), E-Wing (2), Z-95 (5), Hwk-290 (1), YT-1300 (1), Rebel Aces (1) GR-75 Transport (1)Imperial - TIE ln (3), TIE Interceptor (1), TIE Advanced (1), TIE Bomber (1), TIE Defender (1), TIE Phantom (2), Lambda(1), Firespray (1), Imperial Aces (1)

#9 a4rino

a4rino

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:47 PM

Corran w/ FCS

Cracken w/ SL

Rookie

Rookie

I'm so torn between Cracken and Blount for a list like this..  Cracken is nice in the long game, but that assault missile on Blount...

Decisions decisions..

Well Blount+Assault Missile is great for combating swarms flying in formation, but the predicament facing Imperial players is that ~60 of their squad points will be tied up in two ships, and at least one of these (Phantom) will almost certainly be out of formation. Cracken is the way to go with that list.

Edited by a4rino, 13 May 2014 - 03:48 PM.

#10 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

Ghostly Void Bison

• Members
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:20 PM

Well Blount+Assault Missile is great for combating swarms flying in formation, but the predicament facing Imperial players is that ~60 of their squad points will be tied up in two ships, and at least one of these (Phantom) will almost certainly be out of formation. Cracken is the way to go with that list.

I agree that Blount + Assault is certainly not the best way to go in this particular match. However, I think there's still a case to be made for Blount over Craken. And that case is Ion Pulse Missiles. Now, it doesn't matter if you roll all blanks and your opponent rolls all evades, you still do a damage and give 2 ion tokens. Further, since Ion Pulse Missiles don't require the use of your TL and you don't care if you hit, you get to keep it for next round where you can follow up with a focus and a range 1 shot. Not bad.

As for Craken, you MUST put cluster missiles on him. Then he gets two attacks during a turn and is able to hand out two actions that round. That's not a bad thing at all.

• mrfroggies, Khyros, DraconPyrothayan and 3 others like this

Come on down to Sable's Shuttle Emporium for all your Alabaster Void Bison needs!

5 TIE Advanced, 6 TIE Bomber, 4 TIE Defender, 10 TIE Fighter, 6 TIE Interceptor, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 Firespray, 5 Lambda, 2 VT-49

7 A-Wing, 7 B-Wing, 3 E-Wing, 7 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 6 Z-95, 4 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300, 2 YT-2400, 2 GR-75, 1 CR-90

#11 Papamambo

Papamambo

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:25 PM

That's actually something I never would have thought of. . Damn you FFG for making my decision that much more difficult. .
  • DraconPyrothayan likes this
"It isn't the bullet with his name on it that the professional soldier has to fear. It's all those addressed 'To Whom it May Concern' - Anonymous
Rebel - X-Wing (3), Y-Wing (1), A-Wing (2), B-Wing (2), E-Wing (2), Z-95 (5), Hwk-290 (1), YT-1300 (1), Rebel Aces (1) GR-75 Transport (1)Imperial - TIE ln (3), TIE Interceptor (1), TIE Advanced (1), TIE Bomber (1), TIE Defender (1), TIE Phantom (2), Lambda(1), Firespray (1), Imperial Aces (1)

#12 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:57 PM

Still not sure yet what I'd take. But what I am worried about is getting to the final table and having to play Rebels instead of Imperials.

#13 Damoel

Damoel

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:39 PM

I actually think the Rebels have advantage here. Beyond being able to fit more ships, which is powerful, they can also do an HSF list, and still field the two new ships. HSF will be a nightmare to face I think, even if they do the two cheapest options for the Phantom, and Defender, they'll have a small list. And every upgrade the Phantom or Defender get lowers their numbers further.

Han will also ignore most of the recloak on attack shenanigans, and a VI will make him ignore them all.

Fleet timez!

Anarchists: 3 A-Wing, 3 B-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 6 X-Wing, 3 Z-95, 3 E-Wing, 2 HWK290, 2 YT-1300, 2 GR-75, 1 CR90

Good Guys: 6 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/AD, 3 TIE/D, 6 TIE/IN, 4 TIE/SA, 4 Phantom V38, 2 Lambda Shuttle, 2 Firespray-31

#14 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:30 PM

Han will also ignore most of the recloak on attack shenanigans, and a VI will make him ignore them all.

But one good attack from Brath after Han's shields have been taken away could yield 3-4 critical hits in one single shot. No ship can easily take that tossed salad of status conditions.

Edited by That One Guy, 13 May 2014 - 08:30 PM.

#15 Damoel

Damoel

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:00 PM

True, but even a naked Brath + crappy Phantom is 62 points. HSF tends to excel against elite ships, especially those that rely on dodging as part of their defense. I'm not saying its an autowin, but I'm betting Han+Ewing and put the hammer down hard on the defender.

Fleet timez!

Anarchists: 3 A-Wing, 3 B-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 6 X-Wing, 3 Z-95, 3 E-Wing, 2 HWK290, 2 YT-1300, 2 GR-75, 1 CR90

Good Guys: 6 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/AD, 3 TIE/D, 6 TIE/IN, 4 TIE/SA, 4 Phantom V38, 2 Lambda Shuttle, 2 Firespray-31

#16 Gundog8324

Gundog8324

• Members
  • 832 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:44 PM

Brath, and a BH leaves 30pts, enough for a Shadow Squadron (PS5) and stygium particle accelerator, The 3 Ships are heavy offensively and the Firespray should add some extra hull to make up for the Phantom's lower hull.  The Phantom is then free to dance around and with 4 agility, focus, and evade should be hard enough to kill, or make your opponent look for other shots

#17 LeoHowler

LeoHowler

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:00 PM

Since you know what you're going to face, I'd definitely want the Rebel squad. There's just more room for options, and I can load up much more easily on Flechette Torpedoes, which are going to be great against the Defender and the Phantom. I'm just rolling ideas around right now, buuuuuut~

Corran Horn- Veteran Instincts, R2 unit, Fire-Control System, Flechette

Lt. Blount- Ion Pulse Missiles

Horton Salm- Ion Turret, Flechette (x2), R3-A2, Hull Upgrade

The purpose of Blount is solely to ionize the Phantom, at which point you have Corran and Horton to torture it until it is dead. :3

~Remember Alderaan~

Alliance Fleet: 4 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 4 A-Wings, 3 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, , 3 Z-95's, 2 E-Wings, 1 GR-75

Imperial Navy: 5 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Bomber, 2 TIE Interceptors, 1 TIE Advance x1, 1 Lambda Class Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31, 1 TIE Defender

Black Sun Private Fleet: Coming soon~

#18 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:22 PM

One possible list:

33 Bounty Hunter

2 Anti-Pursuit Lasers

30 Echo

4 Advanced Cloaking Device

1 Veteran Instincts

30 Delta Squadron Pilot

I just don't see the appeal of an upgraded Defender, so why waste the points? Use the relatively low PS Firespray to block for Echo, then blow stuff up.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH, 13 May 2014 - 11:12 PM.

I'm an angelic creature free of sin.

#19 Blail Blerg

Blail Blerg

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:07 PM

This just comes back to my main gripe about the imperial wave 4 ships, they're so darn expensive.  and really hard to understand because of their movements.  

ROLL RED, STAY THIRSTY FRIENDS. 

#20 Joostuh

Joostuh

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:15 AM

Those expensive fighters sure are awesome and all, but the true strength of this wave is in the cheap and humble Z-95. Rebel 5-6 Ship builds are going to dominate this wave.

2-3 B/X/E's plus 2-3 Z-95 (maybe A's when we get our Aces) are going to be really strong I think.

Edited by Joostuh, 14 May 2014 - 02:16 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS