• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jedidude

jedidude

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:31 AM

A question came up yesterday while playing:

I wanted to play Force Lightning, but opponent had Counter-Stroke, which cancels an event card as it is played.

- As I have read and understood it from the FAQ, the Force Lightning has to be discarded - why is that so, since the Counter-Stroke just cancels the event?

- Do I have to pay the cost for playing the Force Lightning card?

#2 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:45 AM

A question came up yesterday while playing:
I wanted to play Force Lightning, but opponent had Counter-Stroke, which cancels an event card as it is played.
- As I have read and understood it from the FAQ, the Force Lightning has to be discarded - why is that so, since the Counter-Stroke just cancels the event?
- Do I have to pay the cost for playing the Force Lightning card?

Counter stroke cancels the effects of the event, the rest of the process, including paying for it and discarding it, is still completed. It is also still considered to have been played, which means Reactions to the event being played (eg Darth Vader) can still be used.

#3 PBrennan

PBrennan

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:49 AM

Read Counter-stoke carefully - "When an event card is played, cancel its effects".

In this game, its always careful to cancel an effect, not the card itself. The two are not the same. A card contains an effect but also contains other things, like cost.

In the event initiation sequence (check out the 6 step process in the FAQ), all that counter-stroke cancels is step 6, the resolution of the effect. That's why the cost is still paid, and the card is discarded - because everything happens EXCEPT the resolution of the effect, which is cancelled.

If the card had instead said "cancel the card" or some such, then all 6 steps might be cancelled. But the game never does that, it only ever cancels an effect, as above.

#4 jedidude

jedidude

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:42 AM

thanks guys :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS