• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

Pending Forum Submission

• Members
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:53 AM

It might be worth it if you're flying Airen Cracken along to give other ships extra actions. Or to bring Lt. Blount along with Assault Missiles as anti-swarm insurance.[/quote]
-----

I get this thought, but I personally want a hitter like an X-wing and that moves like an a-wing. A single Z-95 might have some good pilot skills but with ships he has (Rebels: 3 X-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 2 A-Wings, 1 B-Wing, 1 YT-1300) I would build XXBE as a list or BEAA, there is power and speed. I don't think a single Z95 will cut it with the blend of ships he has even with the ablities.

Edited by Cubanboy, 13 May 2014 - 08:54 AM.

I have ships,
Pew Pew Pew

#22 Danthrax

Danthrax

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:54 AM

I don't think they're that big of targets when both of them cost less than a Rookie Pilot.

#23 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

Pending Forum Submission

• Members
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:56 AM

I don't think they're that big of targets when both of them cost less than a Rookie Pilot.

I personally like the Z95 and not a huge E-wing but say go with the E. ( I think a Phantom will 1 shot a Z95 and I know I would go after blant the first turn I could)

I guess we will agree to disagree at this point. Funny thought it's really a good thing when the ships are both this good.

Edited by Cubanboy, 13 May 2014 - 08:57 AM.

I have ships,
Pew Pew Pew

#24 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:57 AM

Cost doesn't really factor in to this. It may mean that losing them doesn't mean a huge loss in your overall firepower.

But a ship that never misses or one that hands out free actions without SL and does so in the combat phase... Those are both going to be priority targets. Especially when you consider how easy they are to kill.

#25 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

Pending Forum Submission

• Members
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:59 AM

Cost doesn't really factor in to this. It may mean that losing them doesn't mean a huge loss in your overall firepower.But a ship that never misses or one that hands out free actions without SL and does so in the combat phase... Those are both going to be priority targets. Especially when you consider how easy they are to kill.

I agree with you a lot. When I am playing against a Han or chewie it's mainly the small ships with them that kill me. I like to focus on them first not the big guys in this game less ships on the board is always better.
I have ships,
Pew Pew Pew

#26 Danthrax

Danthrax

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:18 AM

If Cracken or Blount is supporting, say, Wedge or Wes, I imagine they'll be bigger priority targets, though.

And does the logic that the Z-95 dies easily mean it shouldn't be taken in any squad unless it's a Bandit for filler?

#27 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:24 AM

And does the logic that the Z-95 dies easily mean it shouldn't be taken in any squad unless it's a Bandit for filler?

No not at all. It's not a question of what's better a Z-95 or E-Wing.

The question is, if can only buy 1 ship, which will have the bigger impact on the game. IMO the E-Wing is the better option.

#28 Danthrax

Danthrax

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:27 AM

The question is, if can only buy 1 ship, which will have the bigger impact on the game. IMO the E-Wing is the better option.

Ah. I think the best thing about the E-Wing is the astromech cards that come with it. The pilots are a little costly. But for those upgrades alone, I can see it being worth going with the E-Wing.

#29 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:25 AM

Going once...

Rick   -   Hastings, New Zealand

Rebels: 3 X-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300

Imperials: 3 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Int, 1 TIE Adv, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 Firespray-31

Scum & Villainy: 2 Z-95 (planned), 2 Y-Wing (planned) + 1 HWK-290, 1 Y-Wing, 1 Firespray-31 (ready to go)

#30 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:25 AM

Ah. I think the best thing about the E-Wing is the astromech cards that come with it. The pilots are a little costly. But for those upgrades alone, I can see it being worth going with the E-Wing.

Going twice...

Imperials: 3 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Int, 1 TIE Adv, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 Firespray-31

Scum & Villainy: 2 Z-95 (planned), 2 Y-Wing (planned) + 1 HWK-290, 1 Y-Wing, 1 Firespray-31 (ready to go)

#31 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:28 AM

Sold!

I think it'll be the E-wing. You've all convinced me. I need too many Z-95s to make them viable right now and the E-wing has the punch and some cool droids. We don't have an organised tournament scene in this neck of the woods so I might just print some proxies of the Z-95 upgrades to see how they go in the meantime. Will probably look at a few of those later on down the track.

Thanks to all. 

:)

Edited by Parravon, 14 May 2014 - 02:29 AM.

#32 Sekac

Sekac

• Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:26 AM

Sold!

I think it'll be the E-wing. You've all convinced me. I need too many Z-95s to make them viable right now and the E-wing has the punch and some cool droids. We don't have an organised tournament scene in this neck of the woods so I might just print some proxies of the Z-95 upgrades to see how they go in the meantime. Will probably look at a few of those later on down the track.

Thanks to all.

Just prepare to stifle your gorge when looking at the E-wing model. That isn't a criticism of FFG's models, they're high quality. It's just that the E-wing looks like a senior citizen Z-95. It's all saggy and has too much junk in the trunk.

Edited by Sekac, 14 May 2014 - 03:26 AM.

#33 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:45 AM

Sold!

Thanks to all.

Just prepare to stifle your gorge when looking at the E-wing model. That isn't a criticism of FFG's models, they're high quality. It's just that the E-wing looks like a senior citizen Z-95. It's all saggy and has too much junk in the trunk.

Yeah, I know. I pointed it out earlier that it wasn't likely to win a beauty contest, but the punch is going to have to outweigh the ugly. I have seen Shapeways have quite a few that look so much sleeker and more streamlined, so I'm not sure why FFG made it so short and ugly.

#34 Sekac

Sekac

• Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:51 AM

Well clearly the NEXT next thing you should buy is a face lift for the E-wing :)
  • Parravon likes this

#35 stegocent

stegocent

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:14 AM

I'm liking the aesthetic appeal of the Z-95 but I would need a few of them. The E-wing seems to have more punch for the points, but it's not a pretty looking beast. That being said two of my modern micro-armour armies are packing AH-64 Apaches, and that's got to be the ugliest sky assassin around.

Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
To me I find the AH-64 a thing of beauty and I do love the look of the E-wing, been one of my favourite fighter craft along with the B-Wing and Narn Frazi heavy fighter, for many many years.

To answer your OP question, the E-wing, seeing as you are yet to get a Lamda, the advanced sensors are a great thing to have handy for your B-Wing

Empire: 7 Tie/In, 2 Tie Advanced, 2 Tie/Int, 2 Imperial Aces  4 Tie/B, 2 Firespray-31, 3 Lambda

Rebel: 6 X-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 4 B-wing, 1 Yt-1300, 2 HWK-290, 2 GR-75, 1 CR-90

#36 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:28 AM

I'm liking the aesthetic appeal of the Z-95 but I would need a few of them. The E-wing seems to have more punch for the points, but it's not a pretty looking beast. That being said two of my modern micro-armour armies are packing AH-64 Apaches, and that's got to be the ugliest sky assassin around.

To me I find the AH-64 a thing of beauty and I do love the look of the E-wing, been one of my favourite fighter craft along with the B-Wing and Narn Frazi heavy fighter, for many many years.

To answer your OP question, the E-wing, seeing as you are yet to get a Lamda, the advanced sensors are a great thing to have handy for your B-Wing

I wouldn't call the AH-64 a thing of beauty - more a thing of deadly purpose. The British Army flies them in Afghanistan under the callsign "Ugly" - what does that tell you?  :) The AH-66 Commanche has much better lines, but for outright deadliness, the Apache wins hands down. Like I said 2 micro-armour armies from 2 nations - must be good. The E-wing falls into a similar category - deadly but ugly. Not going to get a Space Cow at any stage as I just don't see it as a dogfighting platform. In my mind, it's still a shuttle, not a starfighter. And I know in this game, it's pretty deadly, but it's still a shuttle.

Edited by Parravon, 14 May 2014 - 05:31 AM.

#37 Ken at Sunrise

Ken at Sunrise

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:28 AM

Here are two threads over at BGG with polls.

How many ships would you have in a balanced fleet.  That is not the same as 12 of each.

http://boardgamegeek...-balanced-fleet

How many Wave 4 ships are you buying.

http://boardgamegeek...-are-you-buying

Edited by Ken at Sunrise, 14 May 2014 - 06:29 AM.

#38 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

Pending Forum Submission

• Members
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:32 AM

Alas, the budget won't stretch that far for a while. At $25 each, here in New Zealand, I'm only looking at two for now, 1 Imperial, 1 Rebel.

So for the Imp what where you thinking? Based on what you have (Imperials: 1 TIE/Adv, 2 TIE/Int, 3 TIE, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 Firespray-31) I have a thought for you, Go Defender. Before I am burned at the stake, Here is why,

First - The Phantom looks like an Intercepter for movement, and play. I noticed you have a couple of them and I have found it great to try out the other ships.
Second- The defender looks to live a bit longer then the Phantom. Base stat is 3-3-3-3 vs 4-2-2-2.
Third- The defender can ion pulse a ship next turn White K-Turn then Blast range 1 with a HLC.

Look I am more Excited for the Phantom when most I don't want to under state that and I am looking forward to flying 4 in battle but I also have a ton if different options if I were in your shoes and had to pick I think the defender is more of a backbone to lists then the phantom. If you enjoy dancing around with the inter go Phantom if you want something a bit different that is going to stick it to any ship rock Defender.

Last thought a Defender and Slave are going to wreck people hard. The ion pulse from the defender and the Fletch Trop on the slave combo are going to really hurt people. Match with a fly by and take actions then shoot is nuts.
I have ships,
Pew Pew Pew

#39 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:14 PM

Alas, the budget won't stretch that far for a while. At $25 each, here in New Zealand, I'm only looking at two for now, 1 Imperial, 1 Rebel.

So for the Imp what where you thinking? Based on what you have (Imperials: 1 TIE/Adv, 2 TIE/Int, 3 TIE, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 Firespray-31) I have a thought for you, Go Defender. Before I am burned at the stake, Here is why,

First - The Phantom looks like an Intercepter for movement, and play. I noticed you have a couple of them and I have found it great to try out the other ships.
Second- The defender looks to live a bit longer then the Phantom. Base stat is 3-3-3-3 vs 4-2-2-2.
Third- The defender can ion pulse a ship next turn White K-Turn then Blast range 1 with a HLC.

Look I am more Excited for the Phantom when most I don't want to under state that and I am looking forward to flying 4 in battle but I also have a ton if different options if I were in your shoes and had to pick I think the defender is more of a backbone to lists then the phantom. If you enjoy dancing around with the inter go Phantom if you want something a bit different that is going to stick it to any ship rock Defender.

Last thought a Defender and Slave are going to wreck people hard. The ion pulse from the defender and the Fletch Trop on the slave combo are going to really hurt people. Match with a fly by and take actions then shoot is nuts.

I'll probably get a Defender when the budget stretches to a couple of Z-95s. I'm just liking what the Phantom can do and I'm keen to give it a go. The Defender and Slave will definitely be a powerful combo, but maybe just a bit later. 

• Cubanboy likes this

#40 Gundog8324

Gundog8324

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:43 AM

I wouldn't call the AH-64 a thing of beauty - more a thing of deadly purpose. The British Army flies them in Afghanistan under the callsign "Ugly" - what does that tell you?

It tells me that Britain has poor taste, I mean those red coats, Susan Boyle, honestly no wonder we fought two wars to distance ourselves from you guys

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS