Wave 4: What to buy next?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 966 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:24 PM

With the impending release of Wave 4 looming on the horizon, I've been trying to decide which ships to get next. Before anyone says "all of them", I'm on a very limited income, so I'm budgeting for this carefully. That being said, I'm thinking of getting two ships initially, but which two?

I try to collect fairly even fleets and the TIE Phantom, I think is a must, just 'cos it looks like it's going to be fun to play.

But, which Rebel ship?

Rick

Hastings, New Zealand

3 X-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 1 YT-1300

3 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Int, 1 TIE Adv, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 Firespray-31

#2 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:27 PM

It depends on what you're looking for. If you fly Rebel a lot, I think the astromechs that come with the E-Wing will be invaluable. It also comes with an extra copy of Advanced Sensors, if you're into that sort of thing.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH, 12 May 2014 - 11:28 PM.

Alea iacta est.

#3 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:29 PM

E-Wing, if you like your ships awesomely overpowered. If you want the game to stay challenging, pick the Z-95. ;)

#4 Forgottenlore

Forgottenlore

Midnight Dreary

• Members
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:33 PM

I also suspect that your going to want multiples of the headhunter so, if you are currently limited to just one, I'd go with the e-wing.
  • VanorDM, Parravon, SableGryphon and 1 other like this

Thanks, Troy

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

#5 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:37 PM

I also suspect that your going to want multiples of the headhunter so, if you are currently limited to just one, I'd go with the e-wing.

I never fly rebels, but I wants me some o' dat munitions failsafe and Wingman. Mmmmm, wingman...

#6 Green Rabid Monkey

Green Rabid Monkey

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:37 PM

E-Wing can be a focal point of ur list....the headhunter is a packhunter and needs multiples of it. If limited on budget get the E

• Parravon likes this
Rebel: 4 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 4 A-Wings, 4 B-Wings, 1 E Wing, 1 Z-95, 1 Moldy Crow, 3 YT-1300's
Imperial
: 2 Tie Interceptors (Imperial Aces)
Capital Ships: 1 Rebel Transport

#7 Blail Blerg

Blail Blerg

• Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:57 PM

Yeah.  Sounds like the E-Wing would help you the most.  And the Phantom sounds fun to play.  

ROLL RED, STAY THIRSTY FRIENDS. 

#8 Sekac

Sekac

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:09 AM

E-Wing can be a focal point of ur list....the headhunter is a packhunter and needs multiples of it. If limited on budget get the E

I don't think the Headhunter needs to be in multiples. For the generics, sure. But Blount and Craken are both fine as stand-alone contributors.

#9 OldScribe2000

OldScribe2000

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:24 AM

I am buying:

x8 Z-95 Headhunters

x6 E-wings

x6 TIE Phantoms

x6 TIE Defender

I buy quantity because we play large-scale games on a larger playing service in my group. This weekend, we're playing a 150-point game. We've gone as high as 175 points. I expect to get into the 200 points plus arena soon. But, the cost of the ships is also a factor (obviously). You'd want (8) Z-95 Headhunters because I believe they were built to attack in swarms.

#10 Ravncat

Ravncat

• Members
  • 653 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:31 AM

I am buying:

x8 Z-95 Headhunters
x6 E-wings
x6 TIE Phantoms
x6 TIE Defender

I buy quantity because we play large-scale games on a larger playing service in my group. This weekend, we're playing a 150-point game. We've gone as high as 175 points. I expect to get into the 200 points plus arena soon. But, the cost of the ships is also a factor (obviously). You'd want (8) Z-95 Headhunters because I believe they were built to attack in swarms.

Though at 100 points, you're kinda maxed out at 6 z95s with missiles... So I'm stopping there.

#11 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 966 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:40 AM

I'm liking the aesthetic appeal of the Z-95 but I would need a few of them. The E-wing seems to have more punch for the points, but it's not a pretty looking beast. That being said two of my modern micro-armour armies are packing AH-64 Apaches, and that's got to be the ugliest sky assassin around.

Rick

Hastings, New Zealand

3 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Int, 1 TIE Adv, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 Firespray-31

#12 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:53 AM

buy Z95s until you have 8 of them

• Danthrax likes this

#13 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 966 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:34 AM

Alas, the budget won't stretch that far for a while. At $25 each, here in New Zealand, I'm only looking at two for now, 1 Imperial, 1 Rebel.

Rick

Hastings, New Zealand

#14 oddeye

oddeye

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:03 AM

e-wing. nets you lots of goodies and corran horn to boot. (who i still think should be an x wing pilot..)

I see your schwartz is as big as mine. Let's see how you handle it!

#15 Popn618

Popn618

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:08 AM

Here's how I decided for me:

I would get an e-wing for the astromechs or a z for the flechette torpedoes.

For imperial I would get a phantom if you like interceptors or a defender if you like the fire spray.

Based on that criteria, I'm getting a z and a phantom.
  • Digitalkiller likes this
“It’s not impossible. I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they’re not much bigger than two meters.”

#16 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

• Members
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:58 AM

I say if you want to have a good balance in ships go with the following,

1 defender & 2 phantoms
1 e-wing & 4 z95s

In a 100 point game the configurations of Defender and E-wing will run from 30-45 points so most likely your going to only field 1 of each.

The phantom is a bit more forgiving on cost and a basic 25 point phantom is still nuts with out upgrades. You could get away with 2 of them and 4 ap or a couple other configs with ships. 2 might be pushing it.

This leaves us with the Z95. First I feel like the Ion pulse missiles are with the purchase of the ship. Possible list with 4 Basic Z95s with ion pulse missiles (45) are the following,

Chewie with z95s (13 remaining)
Biggs, Dagger with Z95s (8 points remaining)
Luke with z95 (28 points)

I feel like 4 Z95 are the sweet spot. I personally am going with 4 each ship and 7 z95s because I am crazy.

Edited by Cubanboy, 13 May 2014 - 07:59 AM.

I have ships.

#17 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

• Members
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:05 AM

Alas, the budget won't stretch that far for a while. At $25 each, here in New Zealand, I'm only looking at two for now, 1 Imperial, 1 Rebel.

I would tell you Defender and E-Wing.

You have Intercepters which are on bar with the Phantom, 1 Z95 is not worth the running.

Edited by Cubanboy, 13 May 2014 - 08:47 AM.

• Parravon likes this
I have ships.

#18 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 1,926 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:10 AM

Right now my order has one E-Wing and Defender and two Z-95s and Phantoms.  I figure the two singles will function as singles and getting more than two in a squadron will leave me with a small squadron.  While I have two Zs ordered I'm really considering adding a third and possibly a fourth; so much going for them that can easily see running two even if they are both named ships.  The Phantom is perhaps the biggest unknown because it is such a departure from everything else; I picked two because they aren't exactly cheap to field and it seems like the only ship that could fly with one would be a second one.

#19 Danthrax

Danthrax

• Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:43 AM

I would feel you Defender and E-Wing.

You have Intercepters which are on bar with the Phantom, 1 Z95 is not worth the running.

It might be worth it if you're flying Airen Cracken along to give other ships extra actions. Or to bring Lt. Blount along with Assault Missiles as anti-swarm insurance.

Edited by Danthrax, 13 May 2014 - 08:43 AM.

#20 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 3,631 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:46 AM

The named Z's are nice, but they're still big targets in fairly weak ships. I'd agree you get a lot more bang for you buck with an E-Wing.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS