Just can't keep it simple

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 darkforce

darkforce

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:10 AM

I can't imagine having thrown Ebon Geists at my party while they were Rank 1, certainly not aboard their ship, though such a thing is surely possible when using Navis Primer.

If I remember correctly, one specially lucky Ebon Geist managed to kill/incapacitate 12 guardsmen, knocked down the AM (who failed miserably on the fear test) and ripped off the RT's right arm (who had to burn a Fate point to stay alive) before reinforcement arrived (the geist wasn't killed, just ran away).

Eh, that's just bad luck, happens. Something the players will have to get used to by either accepting it or planning well enough so luck doesn't play a roll (pun intended) anymore. Although if the players are not liking it, you might still want to think about toning it down at least a little bit (GMs can fudge numbers after all... I do it all the time on this side of the GM-Screen  :ph34r: )

I just threw 4 ebon geists against my group of 5 players (the 6th, the RT was absent) and they came off just about okay... taught a lesson about power armour not being the best starting acquisition :P

About that, I want to know more... did they use some tricks to try to tip the Chances in their favor? Was it a square fight 5 vs. 4 at the same time? How many Inferno Pistols did your players have?

Oh, and yeah, Power Armor is pretty useless in most situations. 

#22 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:20 AM

I can't imagine having thrown Ebon Geists at my party while they were Rank 1, certainly not aboard their ship, though such a thing is surely possible when using Navis Primer.

If I remember correctly, one specially lucky Ebon Geist managed to kill/incapacitate 12 guardsmen, knocked down the AM (who failed miserably on the fear test) and ripped off the RT's right arm (who had to burn a Fate point to stay alive) before reinforcement arrived (the geist wasn't killed, just ran away).

Eh, that's just bad luck, happens. Something the players will have to get used to by either accepting it or planning well enough so luck doesn't play a roll (pun intended) anymore. Although if the players are not liking it, you might still want to think about toning it down at least a little bit (GMs can fudge numbers after all... I do it all the time on this side of the GM-Screen  :ph34r: )

I just threw 4 ebon geists against my group of 5 players (the 6th, the RT was absent) and they came off just about okay... taught a lesson about power armour not being the best starting acquisition :P

About that, I want to know more... did they use some tricks to try to tip the Chances in their favor? Was it a square fight 5 vs. 4 at the same time? How many Inferno Pistols did your players have?

Oh, and yeah, Power Armor is pretty useless in most situations. 

Astropath with force staff, Navigator taking pot shots with a hellpistol, Void Master with a power fist and heavy power armour, Missionary that was effectively unarmed but had 4 militia-cultist-veterans with lasguns and power swords and an Explorator that had a hellgun.

At first i threw a single Ebon Geist against them - the Explorator failed his fear and fled, the militia-cultist-veterans were shaken but stayed to fight and all other characters were fine. They managed to bring it down to 1 wound by end of 2nd turn but not before it got a Lightning Attack on the Void Master - hit hit miss (he may have had Heavy Power Armour but Warp/Toxic/Tearing attacks laugh at that) bringing him down to a couple of wounds from his 20+ starting. That Ebon Geist phased out and fled. Then they had to guard the Explorator while he did an extended Tech-Use for 7 turns. They formed a perimeter and went on overwatch or just held actions. The first couple turns was a single Ebon Geist charging at them from stealth, before the last two charged in together. Problem was i was failing every single Charge attack roll i made for them, while the players were doing incredibly well - the Astropath managed to bring explode one with his force staff as his total damage + channeled psychic damage was 3x the total Wounds of an Ebon Geist!

Overall the group felt challenged by them as they had no effective defence, but with power swords and a melee-psyker they could kill them quickly enough.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#23 RogalDorn01

RogalDorn01

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:05 AM

What rank are your players at the moment?

"And now...witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational invisible doggy fence..."

#24 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:11 AM

They were rank 1 and had 1100xp under their belts from play...

#25 RogalDorn01

RogalDorn01

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:13 AM

And POWER ARMOR already!  Nice...that sounds like a fun fight!  Tense but manageable

"And now...witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational invisible doggy fence..."

#26 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:16 AM

It was the Void Master's starting acquisition as the group had 62 profit factor. I did try to explain that HPA isn't conducive to piloting and general Void-Mastery things but he went ahead anyway.

Also i realized i did something wrong in the fight with the Ebon Geists... when the injured one Phased out and came back later, it should have suffered from Warp Instability and taken damage, thus killing itself as it only had 1 wound left. However all this would have done was make the fight easier, so i don't mind missing that rule.

• Sebastian Yorke and RogalDorn01 like this

#27 Sebastian Yorke

Sebastian Yorke

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:17 AM

I really enjoy when I see the players are tense, and I enjoy a lot more when I can see the actual player fears going finding out what are those giggles and bad smell coming from behind him while he is crawling through a ventilation shaft.

Or when they know that a fight will be lost and they still stand their feet, courageously, even knowing this may mean their death.

Once an RT led 4000 household troops/tribesmen in voidsuits and armed with lasguns against a Great Unclean One leading a horde of plaguebearers, nurglings and cultists (about 6000). Inside a hulked grand cruiser's destroyed hangar bays trying to hold them back at all costs from reaching the partially-functioning Life Support systems.

Edit: the RT was hit by the GUO and a Plaguebearer and had to be put to stasis due to Nurgle's Rot. The campaign was stopped later on and they didn't get the chance to cure him with miraculous kroot healing methods (see hostile acquisitions, not sure I would use it though).

Edited by Sebastian Yorke, 16 May 2014 - 09:20 AM.

RT Wannabe Shipwright & Frustrated GM

#28 darkforce

darkforce

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:06 AM

Man, I'm really envious of your players... mine sometimes didn't even try and sometimes were like "the lower the risk, the better". This did reflect in their (quite low) profit factor of course :)

On the other hand, I'm not that much of a friend of those Epic Scenarios, I prefer a good mixture of Scrub/Elevated level :)

But sounds like a fun session... a fun session indeed :3

• Sebastian Yorke likes this

#29 Amazing Larry

Amazing Larry

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:48 AM

Don't feel bad I can't  keep it simple either, a homemade campaign I thre together with resources from three source books exploded into an ordeal that lasted over six IRL monthes and three successive planets, intrigues on Footfall, Intrigues on Damaris and many sessions on a planet of my own creation built off of the setting of the feature film Zardoz. I ended up writing almost one hundred pages of events dedicating almost forty hours of my own life to doing so, this included monsters and histories and slightly less than thirty pages of which ultimately mattered to the plot. Upon learning this when I admitted it my players they nicknamed me "Martin" and I just had to live with that.

So beat that **** for overdoing it, the crazy **** is if I ever actually run Frozen Reaches I'll have to encorporate all the crazy Damaris **** I came up with from my campaign.

Edited by Amazing Larry, 19 May 2014 - 02:49 AM.

• Sebastian Yorke likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS