Can you own too many ships?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 dandirk

dandirk

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:31 AM

So if we reduce all the small ships to 12 and the big ships to 6 except for the things that cost too much to fit 12 of in a 300-point game, we have:

12 TIE Fighters

And that would cost you, based on MSRP, if you buy five Core Sets and two TIE Fighter Expansions and four X-Wings Expansions (since you'll get five X-Wings in those Core Sets and three X-wings with those Rebel Transports), $3,035. Well that's more manageable =P

ummm what about mirror EPIC matches?

Personally I would suggest 1-2 of each small ship and 1 or each large ship... add as needed and able after playing with all the ships.

X-wings, Ties and Tie Interceptors are pretty good ships to get multiples off, the rest are sort of to taste imo.

The problem with getting 100 or x00 of each ship type like people were doing is the new "Aces" packs.  I had bought 5 interceptors (and awings) using the 100 pt rule, now I have 7.  How often did I run 5 interceptors... maybe once and now I have extra ships.   I also bought 4 tie advances... huge waste not only of money but storage space... I sometimes play vader just cause I feel bad I bought 4.

So I would suggest to buy only 1 of everything at first then add as you play, like, need... I am sure they will release more repaint packs with new cards etc then you won't have wasted previous purchases.

Edited by dandirk, 12 May 2014 - 10:32 AM.

• Digitalkiller likes this

#22 Danthrax

Danthrax

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:45 AM

What about mirror epic matches? Presumably, both players will bring ships that they own to play with.

#23 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:47 AM

Presumably, both players will bring ships that they own to play with.

Yeah being able to field 2 Rebel or Imperial Epic lists is beyond the scope of most people. I know there's some who could do it, but not many.

#24 Deltmi

Deltmi

• Members
  • 559 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:53 AM

You can own too many ships once you fill up your storage capacity. Once that happens, you just buy a bigger box... :)

• Millennium Falsehood likes this

Rebel Alliance: 5 [X-Wing], 2 [Y-Wing], 2 [A-Wing], 3 [B-Wing], 2 [HWK-290], 1 [YT-1300], 1 [GR75 Transport], 1 [CR90 Corvette], 4 [Z-95], 2 [E-Wing]

Empire: 8 [Tie Fighter], 3 [Tie Advanced], 3 [Tie Interceptor], 3 [Tie Bomber], 1 [Firespray-31], 1 [Lambda Shuttle], 1 [Imperial Aces], 2 [Tie Phantom], 2 [Tie Defender]

#25 Darthfish

Darthfish

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:53 AM

Bear in mind, you are asking a bunch of plastic crack addicts how much is enough. Do what is right for you. Just because some of us go a little overboard does not mean that you have to. I can quit anytime I want.......but I don't want to!
  • Boomer_J, Digitalkiller, Millennium Falsehood and 3 others like this

All that is required for evil to prevail, is that good men do nothing. - Thomas Jefferson

#26 Sanchez

Sanchez

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:54 AM

4 Xwings
2 Bwings
2 Awings
1 Ywing
1 HWK (need 1 more)
2 Falcons
1 Transport
1 Corvette (ordered)
3 Headhunters (ordered, will order 3 more)
Rebel Aces (ordered)

8 Fighters
5 Interceptors (including Aces)
2 Bombers
2 Advanced
2 Firesprays
1 Shuttle (no desire for any more)
1 Defender (ordered, can't see using more than 1)
1 Phantom (ordered, ditto ^)

You should see my Warhammer Fantasy and 40k armies (Blood Angels, Space Wolves, Orks, Dark Angels, Chaos, Tau, Lizardmen, Orcs, Warriors of Chaos), Cryx from Warmachine, Skorne from Hordes, and I bought a ton of stuff from the Robotech Tactics Kickstarter.

Edit: I need help.

Edited by Sanchez, 12 May 2014 - 10:56 AM.

#27 dotswarlock

dotswarlock

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:01 AM

When just starting out, if the budget is limited then I would put a starting goal to buy 1 of every ship.  This nabs you every unique pilot and upgrade card, allowing you to explore every combo in the game.  The nice thing that they added with later expansions was more cards of popular upgrades (like 2 x push the limit in Imperial Aces).  Then play with that (a lot) and figure out what you like or what you're missing.  That's what I'm doing so far and it has been both fun and cost effective... relatively :P

If you play casual games with friends and you end up missing an upgrade card then feel free to just write the name on a piece of paper and use that as a fill in.  It's only in competitions that you absolutely need to have the original card.

Oh and buy plasctic sleeves for your cards.  An employee at a local store told me this story: "I was too cheap to buy 6$'s worth of sleeves... it cost me 60$ worth of cards for a single mishap".

#28 markcsoul

markcsoul

• Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:01 AM

I would advise buying slowly.  The biggest reason being that they have fully gone down the road of "re-releasing" existing ships with new paint schemes and new cards - Imperial Aces, Rebel Aces, and the X-Wing in the transport.

If you buy too many ships right away, then suddenly these new versions come out, you buy those, then you might have more ships then you need for most situations (ignoring epic games).

The only thing I've bought more than one of is the Firespray.  There were a few I was considering buying more of until all these re-releases came out so I can get those instead.  So now the only thing I might buy more of is another Tie fighter and/or tie bomber.

REBEL: 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 3 X-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 1 Z-95, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75

IMPERIAL: 1 Advanced, 1 Bomber, 2 Defenders, 3 Fighters, 3 Interceptors, 1 Phantom, 2 Firesprays, 1 Shuttle

SCUM: TBD

#29 madquest8

madquest8

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:02 AM

I don't understand the question. Start repainting the current ships and I'll buy a new one every week. (Blue x-wing, Green X-Wing, Purple X-Wing, etc, etc).

• Digitalkiller likes this

Rebel:  5 X-Wings, 4 Y-wings, 4 A-Wings, 3 B-Wings, 2 YT1300's, 2 HWK-290's, 2 Transports, 2 Corvette's

3 E-Wings (1 painted Trophy Gold), 4 Z-95's

Imperial:  5 TIE's, 7 TIE/In (inc 4 Aces), 1 TIE Adv, 1 Shuttle, 1 Firespray, 5 TIE Bombers, 2 Phantoms, 2 Defenders

#30 t7thunders

t7thunders

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:07 AM

HERESY !!!

There is no such thing as too many ships.

Besides, some where some third party company with a hard on for kickstarter cash is gonna make a death star the size of a
Small playground and we will all eventually be flying 30 plus ships om movement trays and they will add a new phase to the game, something like the force phase.

After that will be chairs in the shape of turbo laser turrets and you take turns by shooting each others ships off the death star.

FFG needs bulk package of x wings and ties.

#31 UnfairBanana

UnfairBanana

• Members
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:08 AM

The more you have, the bigger game you can play!

Rebels: 3 A-wings, 3 B-wings, 2 E-wing, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y- Wings, 2 Z-95s, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 YT-2400, 1 GR-75 Space whale, 1 CR-90 Corvette

Empire: 6 TIE/LN, 4 TIE Interceptors, 2 TIE Bombers, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 TIE Defender, 2 TIE Phantom, 2 Firesprays, 1 Lambda, 1 VT-49

#32 InvestFDC

InvestFDC

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:10 AM

As a Father of two who wants to stay married, I have set a personal limit. Other than the Four B-wings and obligatory Millenium Falcon I fly exclusively Imperial for financial reasons. A buddy of mine, who is not hindered by the same finacial constraints, has purchased enough supply so that he is guaranteed to play no matter who shows up. For him, he doesn't want to be in a situation where someone is new to the game or didn't expect to play and has left their ships at home. He can field at least two-hundred points per side which is great for those who can't afford all the ships.

#33 SoulCrusherEx

SoulCrusherEx

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:17 AM

there is no enough. with epic rules there is really no enough but iam done with 3 firesprays dont need moar ;P 3 veteran instincs are all i need ^^. just sayin its good to have 3 of each small ship.

first it looks cool on the board if u have a small group with a leader and 2 wingmen.

second u have all the upgrade cards from the expansions pack times three ;P.

Imperium: 7 Tie Fighter, 3 Tie Advanced, 12 Tie Interceptors (4 aces boxes included) 3 Tie Bomber and 3 fire sprays, 1 Tie Defender, 2 Tie Phantom, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 1 V49 Decimator
Rebels:  1 B-wing, 1 Z-95, 2 Hwk290,
Pirates: 3 Firesprays, 3 Y- Wings, 7 z-95, 2 HWK 290

#34 Lagomorphia

Lagomorphia

• Validating
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:29 AM

Buy what you'll use.

#35 Cryix

Cryix

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:29 AM

I have 3 xwings (including the transport variant) 3 tie fighters, 3 interceptors (including imperial aces) and one each of all other ships except slave 1.

Speaking as a very casual player who prefers rebel squads, up until this weekend when I played my first tournament I felt pretty comfortable with the amount of ships I owned. It was enough that i could have a nice squad of xwings with an awing or something and my wife could fly 3 tie fighters + tie advanced or interceptors or something. 

Then in the tournament, i fought nothing but tie swarms (and a 4 xwing squad). I knew what they were from reading them here but had literally never fought more than 4 ships at once. It was....a learning experience. 

As such, I am now considering picking up at least another 2 tie fighters (more realistically another core set so i can get a 4th xwing as well) so i can at least practice against 5+ ship squads and possibly 2-3 z95s when they come out as a way to possibly field more ships. I would get another awing and bwing as well but with rebel aces coming I'm content to wait. 

I would definitely say 2 or more each of the ships you want to fly is recommended (i think its also recommended to buy an xwing and tie expansion if you haven't because they come with different cards than the core set) and unless you have opponents to practice against with large fleets you will want to consider picking up some cross faction models as well. 

Edited by Cryix, 12 May 2014 - 11:31 AM.

#36 bbalak

bbalak

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

I suppose that one could only buy rebel or imperial ships beyond the core set, but how else are you going to get your friends hooked when you can only put one side of the war on the board :)

Rebel

6 X-Wings (4 from core sets, 1 expansion, 1 from transport)

2 Y-Wings 

2 A-Wings (3 total when Rebel Aces shows up)

2 B-Wings (3 total when Rebel Aces shows up)

1 HWK-290

1 Falcon

1 GR-75 Transport

1 Z-95 (pre-order)

1 E-Wing (pre-order)

1 Tantive IV (pre-order)

Empire

9 Tie Fighters (8 from core, 1 expansion)

2 Tie Advanced

3 Tie Interceptors (2 from Imperial Aces)

2 Tie Bombers

1 Lambda Shuttle

1 Slave I

1 Tie Defender (pre-order)

1 Tie Phantom (pre-order)

Then there's Fantasy Flight card sleeves, Litko tokens, custom templates, range gauges, Battle Foam, and CorSec play mat...

Everyone repeat after me: "Hello, my name is _______, and I'm a X-Wing Addict."

Seriously though, these ships are beautiful, and the products are really well made. My transport sits on my desk because I love the detail :)

Edited by bbalak, 12 May 2014 - 11:31 AM.

#37 AgentShadow

AgentShadow

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

When you run out of storage/shelf space, that is when you have too many. Until then, buy as many as you like.

3720 to 1...

...odds of me winning a game of X-Wing  :P

Please vote for a Dislikehttp://community.fan...have-a-dislike/

#38 straetski

straetski

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:30 PM

to the original question I have only one answer: no.

Moritori Nullumus Mori!

#39 cody campbell

cody campbell

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:38 PM

This game has collectible value to me.  I'm interested in having multiples of ships beyond the capacity of 100point games, just for the sake of it.  A squadron of Y-Wings just looks so cool!!

#40 UltimateZing

UltimateZing

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:47 PM

I have to agree with the sentiment of there being as much as you, the buyer, are comfortable with. 2 is a great starting point for some, and an ending point for others.

...and then you may get comfortable enough to buy 12 of everything. Repaints, starters, aces, etc. There are also the different upgrades that come with them. All I will say is that the 27 beside interceptor in my signature is *not* a typo

Edited by UltimateZing, 12 May 2014 - 12:50 PM.

Collection
Rebel: 12x X-Wing 12x Y-Wing 15x A-Wing (12 Pre-Order) 3x YT-1300 18x B-Wing (12 Pre-Order) 6x HWK-290 3x GR-75 Transport 3x Corellian Corvette 12x Z-95 Headhunter 12x E-Wing

Imperial: 15x TIE Fighter 12x TIE Advanced 27x TIE Interceptor 3x Firespray-31 6x TIE Bomber 4x Lambda Shuttle 12x TIE Defender 12x TIE Phantom

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS