• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 dfunkateer

dfunkateer

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:32 AM

Yo,

I've only recently started playing x-wing so have only bought a few extra ships, but looking at the number of ships that some folk have listed in their email signatures makes my fleet look a little insignificant.

I plan to end up with 2 of each small ship and 1 of each big ship (still undecided about the huge ships) but when I see that some folk have 3 YTs, 10 TIEs, 3 shuttles etc and then have 10 of wave 4 on pre-order, I ask myself - am I missing out, or are they getting a bit carried away?

How many ships do you have? Is it enough, and if not, how many is enough?

Dfunk.

Government: 2 x TIE, 2 x TIE int, Firespray, TIE bomber

Terrorist: X-wing, B wing, A wing, HWK

#2 Asgo

Asgo

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:45 AM

enough is a stretchable term :)

there are three aspects which influence the widely ranging numbers (ignoring the money aspect for the moment)

1) number of ships

There is a max value of ships for each type in the sense that's the maximum number of ships of that type you can field in a standard game. If you have this max for each ship you can field all possible lists from  a ship-wise perspective.

Not that this is necessary, most just look at the number of ships of a certain type they would personally ever use at the same time, preferred lists and such.  

2) number of certain cards

since certain cards come with certain expansions, some of the extra ships might be more accidental in pursuit of those cards, even if they seldom see action. Again it's more a question of how many you probably need of a type.

3) collecting/modding/repaints

for some this is a reason beyond playing itself for having duplicates.

the rest is a question of how much you are willing to pay for the availability of specific list combinations.

if you are satisfied with the lists you can play then it's enough. :)

• zlynn22 likes this

#3 Danthrax

Danthrax

• Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:49 AM

I suppose "enough" is making sure you have enough of each type of ship to where you could run the cheapest generic pilot of that ship as many times as possible to fit into a 300-point squadron for epic games.

That would be:

25 TIE Fighters

16 TIE Interceptors

18 TIE Bombers

14 TIE Advanceds

12 TIE Phantoms

10 TIE Defenders

14 Lambda Shuttles

9 Firespray-31s

14 X-Wings

16 Y-Wings

17 A-Wings (20 A-Wings after Chardaan Refit)

13 B-Wings

11 E-Wings

25 Z-95 Headhunters

18 HWK-290s

11 YT-1300s

And then for the huge ships, enough to be legal in an epic game considering the epic points allowed in an epic game:

2 GR-75 Medium Transports (3 if you want to play the mission included with the Rebel Transport)

1 CR-90 Corvette

[edit] MSRP on all of that, if you get 12 Core Sets to get 24 of your 25 TIE Fighters and 12 of your 14 X-Wings, and if you get 20 A-Wings, and if you get 3 Rebel Transports, and if you get 1 X-Wing Expansion Pack (even though you'd end up having more than 14 X-Wings after all the ones from the Core Sets and Rebel Transports — you'd have 16) would be $4,380.

Edited by Danthrax, 12 May 2014 - 08:55 AM.

• Swedge, Joe Boss Red Seven, Cubanboy and 2 others like this

#4 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:53 AM

"Each player may field a maximum of 12 small ships of a single type and 6 large ships of a single type."

• Disgruntled, magadizer, Danthrax and 6 others like this

A study in scarlet letters.

#5 skimdex

skimdex

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:03 AM

You know when you've got enough when you can't see the board anymore! :lol:

• Khyros and Millennium Falsehood like this

#6 Ken at Sunrise

Ken at Sunrise

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:04 AM

There are many different ideas out there.  Some feel that you should buy each ship up to 100 points.  This give you maximum flexibility.  I tend to play more casual (for fun) and tend toward a more balanced fleet.  i.e. the main line fighter should be the one you mostly have.  Having said that, 4 X-Wings and 6 or 7 TIE Fighters is a very good place to be.  Then around 2 of each seems to be the consensus for balance.

Like I said though it depends on tastes.  Balance versus flexibility versus having everything.  Look here for some comments.

http://boardgamegeek...-balanced-fleet

• Digitalkiller likes this

#7 Ken at Sunrise

Ken at Sunrise

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:06 AM

P.S. you only own too many toys if your budget can't afford it.  :D

• dojimaster and Khyros like this

#8 Bilisknir

Bilisknir

• Members
  • 525 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:06 AM

Noting of course that you can play a maximum of 12 of each small hull and 6 of each large in an Epic game. So 12 of everything small/large would be plenty. Although at the moment you would probably want 36 Tie/Int So you have 12 Base, 12 181st and 12 Royal Guard (even though you could only use 12 in a game).

I guess you could double this to 24 of everything so you could do mirror matches. Then you would want 24 Transports (for 24 repainted X-wings) although you could only use 4 transports at a time (2 each in a mirror match). Then 2 Corvettes (again for mirror matches).

When Rebel aces comes out you would want 24 more of those to get the repaints for mirror matches.

By my back of the envelope calc that would cost you. £6555 assuming £10 for a small ship, £20 for a large ship / aces, £40 for Transport, £65 for Corvette, and £25 for a core set.

Edited by Bilisknir, 12 May 2014 - 09:09 AM.

Bilisknir corrupt ver of Bilskirnir (Old Norse "lightning-crack"). The hall of the god Thor in Norse mythology.

Rebel: 8 X-Wing, 9 A-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 8 B-Wing, 2 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290, 2 GR-75 Transport, 1 Corellian Corvette, 8 Z-95, 4 E-Wing, 3 YT-2400

Imperials: 9 Tie/ln, 10 Tie Int, 5 Tie Bomber, 3 Tie Adv, 2 Firespray-31, 3 Lambda-Class Shuttle, 4 Tie Defender, 4 Tie Phantom, 2 VT-49 Decimator

Scum & Villany: 4 Most Wanted, 4 StarViper, 6 M3-A Interceptor, 2 IG-2000 (Pre-order)

#9 Danthrax

Danthrax

• Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:07 AM

"Each player may field a maximum of 12 small ships of a single type and 6 large ships of a single type."

Oh damn, I forgot about that rule. All that math, wasted!

• Duke of Advil likes this

#10 Danthrax

Danthrax

• Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:12 AM

So if we reduce all the small ships to 12 and the big ships to 6 except for the things that cost too much to fit 12 of in a 300-point game, we have:

12 TIE Fighters

12 TIE Interceptors

12 TIE Bombers

12 TIE Advanceds

12 TIE Phantoms

10 TIE Defenders

6 Lambda Shuttles

6 Firespray-31s

12 X-Wings

12 Y-Wings

12 A-Wings

12 B-Wings

11 E-Wings

12 Z-95 Headhunters

12 HWK-290s

6 YT-1300s

And then for the huge ships, enough to be legal in an epic game considering the epic points allowed in an epic game:

2 GR-75 Medium Transports (3 if you want to play the mission included with the Rebel Transport)

1 CR-90 Corvette

And that would cost you, based on MSRP, if you buy five Core Sets and two TIE Fighter Expansions and four X-Wings Expansions (since you'll get five X-Wings in those Core Sets and three X-wings with those Rebel Transports), $3,035. Well that's more manageable =P

• VanorDM, Duke of Advil, Slugrage and 1 other like this

#11 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

• Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:15 AM

So if we reduce all the small ships to 12 and the big ships to 6 except for the things that cost too much to fit 12 of in a 300-point game, we have:

12 TIE Fighters - Need 2
12 TIE Interceptors- Need 3
12 TIE Bombers- Need 7
12 TIE Advanceds- Need 9
12 TIE Phantoms- Need 8
10 TIE Defenders- Need 8
6 Lambda Shuttles- Need 3
6 Firespray-31s- Need 3

12 X-Wings- Need 5
12 Y-Wings- Need 9
12 A-Wings- Need 9
12 B-Wings- Need 9
12 E-Wings- Need 8
12 Z-95 Headhunters need 5
12 HWK-290s. - I refuse to buy more
6 YT-1300s. Need 4

1 CR-90 Corvette -need 1

And that would cost you, based on MSRP, if you buy five Core Sets and two TIE Fighter Expansions and four X-Wings Expansions (since you'll get five X-Wings in those Core Sets and three X-wings with those Rebel Transports), $3,035. Well that's more manageable =P

Challenge excepted. At min market the ships are 9.99 each so that's about 1,170 for me. Rough I get 25 a month for fun stuff and 300 for Birthday, Christmas and Taxes returns so 4 years from now I will be there (minus any new ships)

Edited by Cubanboy, 12 May 2014 - 03:22 PM.

• Danthrax, Khyros and Duke of Advil like this
I have ships.

#12 DarthSidious

DarthSidious

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:20 AM

No, you're not missing out.  Some people will buy lots of stuff, others only need a few ships.  One of the great things about X-Wing is that you can buys the ships that you want, without all the silly randomness that MTG has.  In my gaming group, one of my buddies is focusing on Rebel ships, while another really likes Imperials.  I myself want to get at least one of each large ship, and at least 2-4 of every small ship, so I can play a variety of lists.

• Millennium Falsehood and Cubanboy like this

Rebels: 3xX-Wing, 2xB-Wing, 2xA-Wing, 1xY-Wing, 1xYT-1300, 1xHWK-290, 1xCR90, 2xE-Wing, 2xZ-95

Empire: 6xTIE Fighter, 2xTIE Advanced, 1xLambda Shuttle, 2xTIE Interceptor, 3xImperial Aces, 4xTIE Bomber, 1xFirespray-31, 2xTIE Defender, 2xTIE Phantom

'Loose' is when your pants are three sizes too big.  'Lose' is when your defense dice come up blanks.

#13 Soontirbeblownup

Soontirbeblownup

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:21 AM

what is this too many ships nonsense you speak of?? silly question! next! ;-) lol

*currently having withdrawal symptoms because not bought a ship since yesterday

• Boomer_J, Duke of Advil, Rhinoviru3 and 1 other like this

#14 Ken at Sunrise

Ken at Sunrise

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:23 AM

P.P.S.  What DarthSidious said.

Did I just say those words?  But yes Star Wars: X-Wing is a great game for only buying what you really want and foregoing the rest.  It really doesn't hurt the game at all.  

#15 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:41 AM

But yes Star Wars: X-Wing is a great game for only buying what you really want and foregoing the rest.

Yes, you should stick to what you want. Don't buy 4 of everything if you don't want 4 of everything. A lot of us do that, but that's because we want to, and have the money to do so. Noticed I put desire before ability there, because I don't want to imply that only those who can't, don't...
  • Digitalkiller likes this

#16 Rob Jedi

Rob Jedi

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:11 AM

00001066.png

• InvestFDC, Digitalkiller, Duke of Advil and 3 others like this

Rob_Jedi's Miniature Painting Blog   My Repaints   Armored Hull YT-1300   Imperial Transport

Rebels: Ax3  Bx3  Ex1  CRx1  GRx1  Hx2  Xx6  Yx3  YTx3  Zx3

Empire: FSx3  LSx1  TAx2  TBx2  TDx2  TFx7  TIx7  TPx1 

#17 macar

macar

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:18 AM

00001066.png

Glad you posted this, I was going to XD

• Millennium Falsehood likes this

2013 Regional Winner:

2013 Top 16 at Nationals (US)

2014 Store Championship Winner-Game Preserve Fashion Mall

2014 Ohio State Regional Winner-Epic Loot & Games

#18 Slugrage

Slugrage

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:20 AM

Then you'll need cases, card sleeves and however many shelving units to store it all...

• dojimaster likes this

Core: 3 sets

Rebel: 1 X, 3 Y, 3 A, 2 B, 2 H, 2 YT-1300, 2 E, 4 Z, 1 CR-90, 1 GR-75

Imperial: 2 T, 3 T/Ad, 4 T/Int, 2 T/Bmb, 2 T/Df, 2T/Ph, 2 Shuttle, 2 Firespray, 2 Imp Aces

Order: 1 YT-2400, 1 VT-49, 2 Reb Aces

#19 Digitalkiller

Digitalkiller

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:26 AM

Yes, you should stick to what you want. Don't buy 4 of everything if you don't want 4 of everything. A lot of us do that, but that's because we want to, and have the money to do so. Noticed I put desire before ability there, because I don't want to imply that only those who can't, don't...

+1

I wanted to have 2 of each ship... but that was before the Imperial Aces now I have 4 interceptors.

So if you want to try a list and can to ask the ship to a friend then do, after that if you really need/want that ship buy it.

4 or 12 of each ship would be great, but I don't see anyone playin with 3/4 Tie advanced in 100pts game so don't think that someone will use 12 in epic's games.

----------------

In a country... far... far... away

#20 LukesFather

LukesFather

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:30 AM

To Quote the great band, 2 Unlimited "There's not Limit!"

I have painted some of my ships, as I want them to stand out on the board so I can not mess up whose is whose.  So I painted them.  Well I feel the urge to buy more so I have full groups of Blue Bs (I have 2) but can field 4, or more Green As (I have 1 A thats green) but you see where this is going.  I could have a problem here.  And after watching Lost in Space (the movie) the opening ships are VERY close to Bwings, and they had some cool paint jobs , So I might have to get at least 1 more of them, but that means my case is no over capacity, and you can see this snowball rather quickly.

I have a problem....

Short answer - no you can't have to many

Rebels -  3 A wing - 5 B wing - 2 E wing - 2 HWK - - 5 Xwing - 2 YT-1300 - 2 Y wing - 3 Z95
Imperials - 6 Tie/F - 1 Adv/T - 2 Firespray - 3 Tie/I - 1 Aces - 2 Lambda - 3 TIE/B - 2 Tie/P - 2 Tie/D

EPIC - GR-75

Custom - 1 YV-545 (yt1300 conversion)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS