You know what would be cool?..

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:54 AM

Rapier, I won't even bother reading your post, if you want to communicate with me - learn to do it in a more "compressed" way.

Nerdmeister, this +1 would be across the board only if you play a Celeborn+Mirlonde+Legolas solo. Otherwise it wouldn't. And, as I have said previously, solo deck with those 3 heroes just wouldn't work. Dain gives dwarfs +1 all game long and they have problems all people have, giving a few silvan heroes a little boost for the first turn would not break the game.

• joezim007 likes this

#22 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:26 AM

You imply that Dain´s ability is the same but he does not give +1 defense and his ability "only" works when he is ready.

The argument that there are not that many silvan heroes right now isn´t really valid seeing as more heroes will be added at some point.

#23 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:34 AM

Dain ability is not the same, it's better. Defense is not that releveant, and his ability works when he is ready, which is up to you most of the time.

It's valid because there is only 1 confirmed other silvan hero. 

#24 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:06 AM

Rapier, I won't even bother reading your post, if you want to communicate with me - learn to do it in a more "compressed" way.

Nerdmeister, this +1 would be across the board only if you play a Celeborn+Mirlonde+Legolas solo. Otherwise it wouldn't. And, as I have said previously, solo deck with those 3 heroes just wouldn't work. Dain gives dwarfs +1 all game long and they have problems all people have, giving a few silvan heroes a little boost for the first turn would not break the game.

Actually his post wasn't that long and easy to understand.

• Rapier and Demoncow like this

#25 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:18 AM

Good for you.

#26 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:23 AM

You imply that Dain´s ability is the same but he does not give +1 defense and his ability "only" works when he is ready.
The argument that there are not that many silvan heroes right now isn´t really valid seeing as more heroes will be added at some point.

It'll be rare to get enough readying abilities on the board in round 1 to actually make use of more than 1 stat point per hero, and I really don't think giving each hero +1 of a stat for a single round would be game-breaking at all. A readying ability can potentially be.more powerful than that and can often last many rounds.

Dain's ability is a good comparison, even if it has obvious differences. It only has a 2 point stat boost, but it can potentially apply to a LOT of Dwarves and lasts from the beginning of the game until Dain dies. It has the restriction that Dain needs to be ready, but a simple readying effect can remedy that for the most part and he can always just be saved for attacking, so everyone can still get the willpower boost.

The proposed first-turn boost to three stats on Silvan heroes seems much weaker to me by comparison. We're talking about a boost that is limited to 1 turn: the turn where the players are typically the weakest, and in numerous cases, where the encounter deck can be at its strongest.

The argument about the number of Silvan heroes that are available is pointless because it does not take into account the future of the game. In any case, this post is simply an idea that likely won't be implemented, at least not on Celeborn. It's not worth the amount of arguing we are doing about it.
  • ZanzibarLand likes this

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#27 Pericles

Pericles

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:47 AM

TL;DR

An icebox.  An icebox would be cool.

• danpoage and Olorin93 like this

"Chug... Chug... Chug..."

#28 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

celeborn.png

If his repsonse would read "character" instead of ally, and heroes were considered to enter play at the beginning of the very first turn.

It wouldn't be cool.

• Nerdmeister, danpoage and ZanzibarLand like this

#29 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:57 AM

No, it would.

#30 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:21 AM

It'll be rare to get enough readying abilities on the board in round 1 to actually make use of more than 1 stat point per hero, and I really don't think giving each hero +1 of a stat for a single round would be game-breaking at all. A readying ability can potentially be.more powerful than that and can often last many rounds.

Dain's ability is a good comparison, even if it has obvious differences. It only has a 2 point stat boost, but it can potentially apply to a LOT of Dwarves and lasts from the beginning of the game until Dain dies. It has the restriction that Dain needs to be ready, but a simple readying effect can remedy that for the most part and he can always just be saved for attacking, so everyone can still get the willpower boost.

The proposed first-turn boost to three stats on Silvan heroes seems much weaker to me by comparison. We're talking about a boost that is limited to 1 turn: the turn where the players are typically the weakest, and in numerous cases, where the encounter deck can be at its strongest.

The argument about the number of Silvan heroes that are available is pointless because it does not take into account the future of the game. In any case, this post is simply an idea that likely won't be implemented, at least not on Celeborn. It's not worth the amount of arguing we are doing about it.

The whole point of these forums is discuss things, I mean argument and vitriol such as "Rapier, I won't even bother reading your post" isn't called for but the discussion of the topic itself could be interesting.

I think it's a perfectly reasonable topic to discuss (The relative power of Celebon compared with Boromir, Theoden and Dain).

It raises a lot of design questions that we could delve into. For example if we discount Dain (acknoledged as being too powerful by the design team) we can still look at how this compares with the others - although I already posted about that. Comparing to Dain will make any heroes seem weak because - well Dain is just too good.

Another question though is do we want all the global boost heroes to have the same power and feel?

Many people are disappointed that Theoden boosts all tactics heroes rather than Rohan - do we eventually want every racial trait to get a hero that boosts the whole trait?

Celebon's ability seems to be on par with Boromir for instance - +1 attack for all gondor allies all game for the cost of leaving 1 unspect resource - in the trait that has the best resource acceleration and manipulation. 

On the other hand Celebon clearly is going to work well with characters being put into play and if Silvan gets a lot of cards that involve bouncing people back into your hand (such as born aloft style cards) such that you can trigger it repeatedly. Or if Silvan gets a lot of cheap allies and allies which fetch other silvan (guaranteeing an influx of cheap low power allies that you plan to only use for one or two turns anyway) Then his relative power within the trait will be pretty reasonable.

Personally I think (discounting Dain that's better than all the rest) that Celebon as is, is fine with the way they intend Silvan to play, and that if you added an additional boost to the first turn heroes then you would make Silvan theme too strong. I am assuming we get more allies in the form of the Silvan Refugee.

It also leaves open the possibility of later on getting a second Silvan hero that is all about boosting silvan heroes (and opening up an alternative style of play for the traits). 

I feel like the dwarfs, while powerful have been forever locked into a single style of play because Dain is all about loads of allies - and then all the dwarf heroes from the hobbit saga are also all about the allies - and really I don't think you could feasibly play dwarfs any other way. (Despite the fact you could easily have tried to build a dwarven attachments style theme as well).

So I think it would be less good for the game to put all the power on Celeborn.

• Nerdmeister and klaymen_sk like this

#31 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:21 AM

No, it would.

What do you think is cool?

#32 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:37 AM

No, it would.

Сeleborn that worked on heroes.

• Rapier likes this

#33 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:41 AM

No, it would.

Сeleborn that worked on heroes.

This is going to become circular rather quickly - what else do you think is cool?

#34 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:37 PM

This thread has descended into utter chaos.

Ps, I like stuff and things.

#35 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:01 PM

The whole point of these forums is discuss things, I mean argument and vitriol such as "Rapier, I won't even bother reading your post" isn't called for but the discussion of the topic itself could be interesting.

I think it's a perfectly reasonable topic to discuss (The relative power of Celebon compared with Boromir, Theoden and Dain).

It raises a lot of design questions that we could delve into. For example if we discount Dain (acknoledged as being too powerful by the design team) we can still look at how this compares with the others - although I already posted about that. Comparing to Dain will make any heroes seem weak because - well Dain is just too good.
Another question though is do we want all the global boost heroes to have the same power and feel?
Many people are disappointed that Theoden boosts all tactics heroes rather than Rohan - do we eventually want every racial trait to get a hero that boosts the whole trait?
Celebon's ability seems to be on par with Boromir for instance - +1 attack for all gondor allies all game for the cost of leaving 1 unspect resource - in the trait that has the best resource acceleration and manipulation. 

On the other hand Celebon clearly is going to work well with characters being put into play and if Silvan gets a lot of cards that involve bouncing people back into your hand (such as born aloft style cards) such that you can trigger it repeatedly. Or if Silvan gets a lot of cheap allies and allies which fetch other silvan (guaranteeing an influx of cheap low power allies that you plan to only use for one or two turns anyway) Then his relative power within the trait will be pretty reasonable.
Personally I think (discounting Dain that's better than all the rest) that Celebon as is, is fine with the way they intend Silvan to play, and that if you added an additional boost to the first turn heroes then you would make Silvan theme too strong. I am assuming we get more allies in the form of the Silvan Refugee.
It also leaves open the possibility of later on getting a second Silvan hero that is all about boosting silvan heroes (and opening up an alternative style of play for the traits). 
I feel like the dwarfs, while powerful have been forever locked into a single style of play because Dain is all about loads of allies - and then all the dwarf heroes from the hobbit saga are also all about the allies - and really I don't think you could feasibly play dwarfs any other way. (Despite the fact you could easily have tried to build a dwarven attachments style theme as well).

So I think it would be less good for the game to put all the power on Celeborn.

I don't think Celeborn needs to boost heroes especially since most are decently powerful. I still don't think it'd be too powerful to have the 1-turn boost, but that seems to be a matter of opinion. It'd still be an interesting/cool effect, which what Tue whole point of this thread is. I think we may have over-stayed our welcome on this topic, so I'm just gonna he done now.

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#36 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:21 PM

Any time trololo makes a thread it always turns into this.  Some of you guys care way too much about what the others think; It doesn't matter....it's someone you don't know.....  Ridiculous....... 

Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamul the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's Lieutenant, with one other as his messenger."  - Unfinished Tales

#37 Sinamil

Sinamil

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:24 PM

Long shot I know, but I'm hoping we see out first 0 cost ally in the Silvan family, it would fit perfectly, especially if they can easily ping pong back to your hand somehow.

#38 Sinamil

Sinamil

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:24 PM

And no I don't count Bill the Pony, printed 0 :P

#39 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:42 PM

Long shot I know, but I'm hoping we see out first 0 cost ally in the Silvan family, it would fit perfectly, especially if they can easily ping pong back to your hand somehow.

It would fit perfectly - but what sort of card are you expecting it to be?

An errand rider without an action? It would be a card that's only purpose would be to be used with Celeborn? 

A 0 cost Outlands card is another possiiblity (A card with 0 for every stat except 1 hitpoint, and the outlands trait - it could even have 0 hitpoints although then you could only play it if they had the hitpoint outland card in play).

#40 Sinamil

Sinamil

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:43 PM

I doubt they go back to Outlands any time soon (at least I hope).  I was thinking something with 0/0/0/1 that could have a passive benefit upon entering or leaving play. Reducing threat or card draw would probably be difficult to balance, but maybe adding a statistic (1 or 1 or 1) to another character.  Would fit perfectly with the other Silvan cards.  FFG, please make this happen as I am awful at custom cards.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS