Where is Star Wars: Age of Empire RPG?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Sanguinous Rex

Sanguinous Rex

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:41 PM

I want to play a Stormtrooper!  Long live the Empire.

#2 copperbell

copperbell

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:46 PM

Ask your gm.

Sorry bit too early for me.

So is this to start a new thread on running Imperial characters?

#3 segara82

segara82

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:03 AM

Considering the popularity of the Empire i would wager that we will be given a sourcebook that deals with the Empire, it's organisations and members in great(er) detail.
But a CRB? Not so much since when you read what has been written so far the Empire is evil.
Sorry, it is EVIL in capital letters.

Personally i do wish they would bring in a bit more grey instead of just plain black/white.
We already play fricking criminals in EotE! MAYBE with a heart of gold, but still doing illegal stuff including smuggling and murder.

And we had such threads before: http://community.fan...out-the-empire/

Edited by segara82, 12 May 2014 - 03:06 AM.

Courage is the mastery of fear - not the absence of fear

#4 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:00 AM

Considering the popularity of the Empire i would wager that we will be given a sourcebook that deals with the Empire, it's organisations and members in great(er) detail.
But a CRB? Not so much since when you read what has been written so far the Empire is evil.

Personally i do wish they would bring in a bit more grey instead of just plain black/white.
We already play fricking criminals in EotE! MAYBE with a heart of gold, but still doing illegal stuff including smuggling and murder.

The leadership is evil and the new order is incredibly speciesist and also pretty sexist. That said there are probably plenty of members that are honestly trying to do the right thing, but most are like Biggs and get a wake up call that causes them to defect.

Even so an empire based game wouldn't be hard to do, just use the careers in this book, possibly some of the more "scrappy resistance" themed ones like saboteur.

#5 swiftdraw

swiftdraw

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:25 PM

I doubt it'll get as much as a source book. More likely it'll be a blerb-in-a-box (BiaB) on a page giving tips on how to convert AoR into a Imperial campaign, but with the caveat that the GM should let his players know they're definitly on the side of the bad guys. Savage Worlds Wierd War 2 core rule book had that on how to deal with playing as the Axis and I imagine thats what, if anything, the Imperials will get.

#6 Jon D

Jon D

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:00 PM

The leadership is evil and the new order is incredibly speciesist and also pretty sexist.

Maybe in the EU, but that no longer applies, not that I followed it anyway.

#7 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:09 PM

Really, there's not much change that needs to be made to run a Imperial campaign using the Age of Rebellion material.  A few Motivations might need shifting, but the various Duty types work just as well for Imperial PCs as they would for Rebel PCs.

Frankly, the Empire are the default bad guys of the setting, especially now that the only canon where the Empire shows up are the original movies.  And these games are angled towards the players being good guys, or at least not-quite-so-nasty guys in the case of Edge of the Empire.

There has been plenty of talk about a "pro-Empire" core rulebook over in the Age of Rebellion Beta forum, but realistically if FFG were to account for Imperial PCs, it'd be in a sourcebook detailing the Empire as a whole, and probably not much more than a chapter to account for the differences in focus as well as suggestions for how to handle a group of PCs that are working for the Big Bad of the setting.

• Sturn, awayputurwpn, Internutt and 2 others like this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#8 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:16 PM

The leadership is evil and the new order is incredibly speciesist and also pretty sexist.

Maybe in the EU, but that no longer applies, not that I followed it anyway.

Is EU completely gone or is Disney just doing the exact same canon hierarchy the Lucas arts has always done?

Personally I just run on the assumption that it fits unless the movies contradict it.

#9 swiftdraw

swiftdraw

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:43 PM

Anything not in the movies, TV shows, or Disney approved books (Basiclly "New Dawn" on) is no longer canon in any form. All the olds books and such are going under the "Legends" label and are non-canon.

• cvtheoman likes this

#10 RedfordBlade

RedfordBlade

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:53 PM

Anything not in the movies, TV shows, or Disney approved books (Basiclly "New Dawn" on) is no longer canon in any form. All the olds books and such are going under the "Legends" label and are non-canon.

So technically, Age of Rebellion would count as "non-canon" anyway. Great! Now we can get back to cherry-picking the cool parts of the EU, just as FFG has been doing all along.

As for the Empire, I don't think they are magically becoming a morally-gray organization just because the EU is in flux. If anything, the EU is where the majority of the "good Imperial, bad Empire" stuff came from. The only halfway-decent Imperial in the movies is Lorth Needa, who nobly shouldered the blame for the Millenium Falcon's escape from Hoth, rather than trying to pass guilt onto a subordinate.

But with the EU we have Gilad Pellaeon, Mara Jade, the Hand of Judgment (huh, all written by Timothy Zahn...), etc.

• Vonpenguin, Kulikov, Norsehound and 1 other like this

#11 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 961 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:40 PM

Disney/LFL still reserve the right to grab anything from the EU that they want. Everything's 'Legends' until it's canon.

• cvtheoman likes this

#12 swiftdraw

swiftdraw

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:44 PM

So technically, Age of Rebellion would count as "non-canon" anyway. Great! Now we can get back to cherry-picking the cool parts of the EU, just as FFG has been doing all along.

I'm starting to look more into this actually, because I'm reading that games are going to be Canon too.

"We have an unprecedented slate of new Star Wars entertainment on the horizon," said Kennedy. "We're set to bring Star Wars back to the big screen, and continue the adventure through games, books, comics, and new formats that are just emerging. This future of interconnected storytelling will allow fans to explore this galaxy in deeper ways than ever before."

So, if FFG maintains the license (and I can't see why they wouldn't), it stands to reason what is publish for EotE/AoR/FaD is also Canon. Anyways, off-topic, I'll leave now. :)

Edited by swiftdraw, 12 May 2014 - 08:45 PM.

#13 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:58 AM

But given how niche tabletop games are do they mean Eote, AoR, and FaD or do they just mean video games?

#14 segara82

segara82

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:50 AM

As far as Disney is going everything not in a movie or TV series is no longer canon but 'Legend', that means all books and videogames and RPGs are 'fanon/alternate universe'. Unless it is so cool that Disney picks it up.

But they don't want to tell what they will use since they need to keep a tight lid on their new movies.

Edited by segara82, 13 May 2014 - 05:51 AM.

Courage is the mastery of fear - not the absence of fear

#15 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:21 AM

As far as Disney is going everything not in a movie or TV series is no longer canon but 'Legend', that means all books and videogames and RPGs are 'fanon/alternate universe'. Unless it is so cool that Disney picks it up.

But they don't want to tell what they will use since they need to keep a tight lid on their new movies.

The quote in the post by swiftdraw pretty much said they intend to put out books and such that will be canon even if nothing from before is.

#16 swiftdraw

swiftdraw

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:41 AM

From another quote ,I believe from Kennedy and I can't find atm; if it's an offical Star Wars license product made after April 25 2014 and in collaboration with the LucasFilm/Disney Story Group, it is Canon unless stated otherwise. I believe that in the Order 66 Podcast with Andy Fischer,  it was stated they had to clear things through Disney before adding them to the books. So, as I said, the FFG line of Star Wars RPG is probably Canon if FFG holds onto the license.

• kaosoe likes this

#17 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,762 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:20 AM

Am I the only one that doesn't care about what is/isn't SW canon? SW canon only matters for what elements the movies and a few other things will stay true to, and it really doesn't matter to my games one bit. Why do so many people have this fixation on canon? To me, this fixation really seems unhealthy to the actual enjoyment of SW.

• Kulikov, Tashiro31, Kager and 3 others like this

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#18 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:04 AM

Am I the only one that doesn't care about what is/isn't SW canon? SW canon only matters for what elements the movies and a few other things will stay true to, and it really doesn't matter to my games one bit. Why do so many people have this fixation on canon? To me, this fixation really seems unhealthy to the actual enjoyment of SW.

I suspect it has to do with that geek "accomplishment" of knowing more about something then everyone else. By going Schrodinger's canon on everyone, all the people who knew XYZ about Star Wars feel what they know is no longer valid, and thus, they have lost their geek cred.

Though to a certain extent I see this as modern yellow journalism in action. The news of the canon-clearing was really to be expected the very second they announced they were making a new movie, but all the nerdnews sites went bonkers with misleading headlines and inaccurate stories to get more page views. Changing "Lucasfilm isn't forcing J.J. Abrams to make The Glove of Darth Vader: The Movie, and why that's a good thing" to "You're not a geek anymore, now you're just a guy that read a bunch of crappy novels!"

• kaosoe likes this

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#19 GMmL

GMmL

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:12 AM

/kazoo

#20 Sylpheed

Sylpheed

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:02 PM

I want to play a Stormtrooper!

I find these images quite inspiring for that sort of thing.

c3ad8078342cdb502608e714376c81d7-d73i3bu

stormtrooper_ranger_by_halonut117-d75w5k

stormtrooper_41st_elite_corps_by_halonut

scout_trooper_41st_elite_corps_by_halonu

stormtrooper_74th_infantry_brigade_by_ha

http://halonut117.deviantart.com/

imperial_army_training_on_forest_planet_

imperial_army_forest_maneuvers_by_ryanry

http://ryanryzzo.deviantart.com/

Edited by Sylpheed, 13 May 2014 - 05:03 PM.

• Ghostofman and kaosoe like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS