Most thematic card

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:48 PM

i wonder what people would think the least thematic card would be? i don't want to derail this thread though ;)

i think another one of my favourites has to be mountain goblin - the guy from redhorn gate...you know when i read the hobbit for the first time i imagined that guy, all other artist's goblins don't come close

Horn-of-Gondor.png

It takes a bit more explanation than the card I find most thematic.

The horn of Gondor is symbolic in the books. It represents all that is Good in Boromir and ultimately helps him to triumph over his base self.

Obviously with it's iconic use in his death the card was always likely to involve characters dying (leaving play) - I just think that gaining resources off of it is totally wrong for what the card should have been. It makes no thematic sense.

The card itself is perfectly valid I just think it should have been called something different - Grave Cairn would have been a better name for this card than it was for it's own effect.

I hope we get an alternative  horn of Gondor in the future. Still in tactics - personally I think it should have been if attached character leaves play, ready all characters in play. The blowing of the horn warned all of the fellowship of the danger and allowed them to react, but it meant the death of the hornblower.

#22 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:04 AM

The early cards were often hit or miss. Horn of Gondor is a great example. It is one card that absolutely should have gone to Boromir, no matter what. I could live with "attach to a Gondor Noble Hero" but of course they could not have made such a card for the core set. They should have waited just as they did with Asfaloth, for instance. Horn of Gondor appears on about every art of Boromir, it is very, very iconic and symbolic to him. Now, we have only seen multiple versions of characters but I do hope very much we shall see a second version of the Horn of Gondor (which attaches to Boromir only).

#23 danpoage

danpoage

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:16 AM

M1628.png

• Rapier, Nerdmeister, richsabre and 5 others like this

Hall of Beorn

The Grey Company

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
—Oscar Wilde

#24 Olorin93

Olorin93

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:02 AM

I really like Asfaloth, especially paired with Glorfindel.

Having tried Galadriel, I must say she is very thematic as well. She is a powerful presence, but does not charge into battle herself. I think we'll have many thematic cards in the new cycle.

#25 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:45 AM

Having tried Galadriel, I must say she is very thematic as well. She is a powerful presence, but does not charge into battle herself. I think we'll have many thematic cards in the new cycle.

Most of the cards are a nice blending of theme and mechanics.I think the design team has done a really nice job with the game actually.  Most card games feel like the mechanics all came first, then the theme came later but I feel like this one is different. 

I haven't tried all the LCG's but Game of the Thrones, Call of Cthulhu and Warhammer all feel like they're mechanics first, and then fluff. It's probably a subjective thing though.

#26 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:24 AM

Most of the cards are a nice blending of theme and mechanics.I think the design team has done a really nice job with the game actually.  Most card games feel like the mechanics all came first, then the theme came later but I feel like this one is different. 

I haven't tried all the LCG's but Game of the Thrones, Call of Cthulhu and Warhammer all feel like they're mechanics first, and then fluff. It's probably a subjective thing though.

I totally agree with the above. I used to play Magic, and though it was not a bad game, the theme was not there for me. It was all over the place -- but I understand it all comes from a very different source. For me, Tolkien means a lot, and the game seems to represent the spirit very well (with some exceptions which are to be expected in the scope).

#27 Morithain

Morithain

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:33 AM

I agree, Ana, I've played MtG and Lotr, and Lotr blows it away imo, and it's the theme problem that does it.  I can't visualize anything but random fantasy craziness when playing MtG.  There's no central story, setting, or anything with it to compare with Middle Earth.  

• Ana likes this

#28 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:00 AM

Horn of gondor - I think the new version should do something like draw allies from a deck or something...or perhaps make enemies willingness to engage less...so reduce engagement cost or something

Rich

• ZanzibarLand likes this

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS