• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:00 AM

Caldara is a decent spirit hero even without her ability. She's just exceedingly strong with it.

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#22 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

Caldara is a decent spirit hero even without her ability. 

You kidding?  Arwen is identical except for 1 less hitpoint.  

Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamul the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's Lieutenant, with one other as his messenger."  - Unfinished Tales

#23 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:19 AM

You kidding? Arwen has 1 less attack, 1 less defense, AND 1 less health.

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#24 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:09 PM

You kidding? Arwen does not produces Spirit resources and is not affected by Gondor ****, like Wealth, Visionary Leadershit, Gondorian Shield and stuff.

#25 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:12 PM

1 less attack..... so what.  Tell me when you use Caldara's 1 attack.

If Arwen is defending, she has 2 defense because of her ability.  

Only difference is the resource generation.  I'd rather have 8 less threat and run secrecy than have Caldara for just her stats and not ability.  

Good point about the Attachment boost though Trololo.  Its just when I build a gondor deck with all that gondor attachment stuff, I never use caldara so it doesnt matter anyways.  

Its better to have 8 less threat and no caldara then to have her quest for 2 every round.  

Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamul the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's Lieutenant, with one other as his messenger."  - Unfinished Tales

#26 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:22 PM

Its better to have 8 less threat and no caldara then to have her quest for 2 every round.

... and 1 less resource per round... unless you really need secrecy, I don't agree.

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#27 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:27 PM

1 less attack..... so what.  Tell me when you use Caldara's 1 attack.

If Arwen is defending, she has 2 defense because of her ability.  

Only difference is the resource generation.  I'd rather have 8 less threat and run secrecy than have Caldara for just her stats and not ability.  

Good point about the Attachment boost though Trololo.  Its just when I build a gondor deck with all that gondor attachment stuff, I never use caldara so it doesnt matter anyways.  

i was skeptical, too, until i saw her in action in the hands of a skilled player.

while i've not used her myself, she is quite the powerful hero.

#28 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

We play multiplayer. My friend plays monospirit with Caldara, my other friend plays monoleadershit with Boromir, I play tactics.

I slap Gondorian Shield across her and she defends for 4, Boromir gets Visionary and Caldara quests for 3. Leadershit player can donate her a resource with his Wealth, if needed. And in the time of need, Caldara(being already exhausted), triggers her ability and brings back some Elfhelm and Damrod, both ready for action.

#29 chrsjxn

chrsjxn

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:23 PM

We play multiplayer. My friend plays monospirit with Caldara, my other friend plays monoleadershit with Boromir, I play tactics.

I slap Gondorian Shield across her and she defends for 4, Boromir gets Visionary and Caldara quests for 3. Leadershit player can donate her a resource with his Wealth, if needed. And in the time of need, Caldara(being already exhausted), triggers her ability and brings back some Elfhelm and Damrod, both ready for action.

I usually don't load her up with attachments, because I plan to discard her regularly, but part of this is definitely the key to why she's so good.

Quest with her, soak up attacks with big allies so they die (or discard Damrod to trigger the threat reduction, if you really want), and then use her ability to bring back two allies with hero equivalent stats that are ready. And then pay 5 to bring Caldara back. It's a big source of action advantage.

#30 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

... and 1 less resource per round... unless you really need secrecy, I don't agree.

Resourceful.......

#31 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:23 PM

We usually do not trigger her very fast, so she'll have plenty of time to utilize stuff.

#32 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:27 AM

.only the rules for  unique characters i think is to much....3 per deck as usual ok for me

This is a newish one we have introduced. Unique cards have become so powerful and in circles with many dedicated players all with 3 cores having 12 Gandalf cards at the table is a real downer and as we play for points at the store we needed this restriction to stop some crazy shenanigans.

We are even considering a limit of 5 cards per deck of non-named for this same reason. Games suck when you have 12 tests of will and 12 shadow cancels etc etc. So 5 cards per deck regardless of how many hands that deck is.

The proposed, table talk rule and the proposed unique card rule are in conflict with each other. If you can't tell me that there are three Faramir's in your deck, how do I know if I can have a Faramir in my own?

They are not in conflict at all. There is nothing wrong with talking about decks and contents during the deck design before the game. In many cases one player has made all the hands. This information is sharable and is part of the general strategy that occurs before you start the game.

The thematic enhancement table talk rules are about restricting talk during the game, not during deck building or general strategic thinking like.. hand 2 can quest, and 3 has sentinels and can block for hand 1.. etc etc.

BTW, I also play a rule variant that no heroes can die and no players can be eliminated or the quest is failed. It's just generally more fun for us.

I think while tossing a game and replaying if you choose to is a personal decision, there shouldn't be a rule about any death ending the game. I see nothing wrong with quitting and restarting if it falls apart to quickly, though when we play for points in contest at the store (we use these rules btw) we factor in retries as a penalty.. this stops restarts as a type of mulligan.

I think deaths can be really fun, especially if you play campaigns that use the real death rules.

Edited by booored, 16 July 2014 - 03:30 AM.

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS