Gen Con Print on Demand 2014: "The Old Forest"

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:10 AM

Yes doesn matter how you look on it SOE is a bad quest and im pretty sure sells nymber pretty few.....

I have all Lotr product until now but now I don't wonna buy everything straight away as before. now I will look first on product since quality if some quest is not so good. and SOE very good example. waste of my money....

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#22 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:43 AM

SoE is decent. Interesting mechanics, immersive theme. Just not as hard as some people wish it was, especially for a PoD quest.

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo, 12 May 2014 - 02:44 AM.

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#23 Mich the One

Mich the One

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:26 AM

I like SoE for its thematic value and for the artwork. But as for the difficulty complaints, I do understand Glaurung and other seasoned players. I am looking for thematic quests and opportunity to run some themed decks, but others are looking for a hard logic puzzle. I think it is hard to entertain both groups at once: sky high difficulty kills thematic decks (save for outlands obvoisly, and dwarfs, to an extent).

So how will the new PoD quest land in this context? obviously we cannot know. The theme for it sounds fun but then again I am excited for every expansion FFG creates.
  • OnkelZorni, karagh and danpoage like this

#24 iznax

iznax

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:24 AM

SOE is a great quest, it has the best time mechanic (and great mechanics over all) and it nails the theme. Now the difficulty is something relevant (mostly because it depend heavily in the number of players), for example i find the HON quests to random and broken, NOT HARD, its like rolling a dice with 2 aces, how can you find this fun ???

A heavy combat solo deck has better winning chance against all 3 HON quest than Passage Through Mirkwood, does that makes it a harder quest? Don't think so ... ;)

I love the way the game evolves lately (Black Riders, SOE, VOI) so i have high expectations for the next POD :D

• Noccus likes this

(]xxxxxx[}::::::::::::::::::::>

#25 Noccus

Noccus

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:02 AM

SOE is a great quest, it has the best time mechanic (and great mechanics over all) and it nails the theme. Now the difficulty is something relevant (mostly because it depend heavily in the number of players), for example i find the HON quests to random and broken, NOT HARD, its like rolling a dice with 2 aces, how can you find this fun ???

A heavy combat solo deck has better winning chance against all 3 HON quest than Passage Through Mirkwood, does that makes it a harder quest? Don't think so ... ;)

I love the way the game evolves lately (Black Riders, SOE, VOI) so i have high expectations for the next POD :D

QFT!

Love the POD quests, and difficulty is always relative.
I'm having high hopes for the Old Forest POD. Loved the chapter in the book, loved it in vanilla LotRO.
"Not all those who wander are lost"

#26 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:51 AM

The Hate for Stone of Erech comes from veteran players who thinks that all new quests should aim to break all your teeth and accept no excuses.

I would assume that Massing and Laketown set the precedent that PoD would be hard.
EDIT: Sorry, I'd didn't read your other post, we agree then that PoD are supposed to do their job of being hard. (Basing off previous ones)

Edited by ZanzibarLand, 12 May 2014 - 07:53 AM.

#27 Jekzer

Jekzer

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:58 AM

I am also on the train of seeing SOE as  a very thematic and beautiful quest. Not as hard as the other GenCon PoD quests though.

The thing is that with its mechanics, it's relatively easy to ramp up the difficulty. For instance, changing the need of 4 tokens for each Night card (maybe 1 less) so you can reach Midnight in less than 7 turns.

Or you can make these Night cards more meaningful by giving Encounter Cards some permanent power-ups (like Dusk or Midnight making all Treacheries gain surge/doomed X, or boosting enemies stats). 

You can also do that with more Encounter Cards, not a lot of them use the Dusk or Midnight keyword (like Shadow Host Captain).

Edited by Jekzer, 12 May 2014 - 10:59 AM.

#28 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:03 AM

The point many people are missing with pods are theme. Every pod quest has a strict themde, distinct from any other quest. 

MaO is the only quest in the game to contain easterlings. Battle for Lake town has uniqie mechanic of burning and ton of lcations utilizing it. Stone of Erech is one of the two undead infested quests, and the only of all to contain this sort of environment and enemies. No other encounter card set from any currently existing releases would be able to provide base for those quests, like it does for regular APs. That's why those quests are PoDs, not because they need to be extremely difficult.

#29 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:42 AM

Maybe, in one saga expansion about the Return of the King, when Aragorn and fellowship want to claim the undead army.

PD: i love SoE, one of my favourite quest (in 4 players really really hard -and funny, 'and crazy'-) :)

Edited by Mndela, 12 May 2014 - 11:42 AM.

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#30 7theye

7theye

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:47 PM

Oh no! I actually liked Stone of Erech! I thought the whole time thing was an interesting mechanic! Though I can't help but agree, MaO is still one of the best quests out there!

Not really sure what I hope to see in the Old Forest. I'm sure they'll do a good job of I it, however it turns out...  :)

I liked Stone of Erech too. Surprised by the dislike toward it, to be honest.

I just like challenge. I find the quests have a secret to them and it's fun finding it out, but once you do it's pretty much shelved. For instance, in BOG if I kill número on first turn it's easy quest. For morgal vale I use beorn and slaughter the two bosses each in the first two turns and just direct damage the boss a few times and it's done.

The really amazing quests are the ones that you can lose consistently even with great deck. Where you need to think through every card in your deck and every decision you make. Like laketown, siege, Massing when it first came out etc. these quest are fun to keep playing and don't force you to dumb down your deck to make it fun.

Stone of erch does not fit this mold. It's a damn easy quest. I beat it first time without serious deck building effort.

I just want them to make the quests harder. It's a shame to do this we now need to buy a quest and then wait for a nightmare pack at a ridiculolous cost to enjoy the quest.
  • jjeagle and Glaurung like this

#31 7theye

7theye

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:48 PM

Yes doesn matter how you look on it SOE is a bad quest and im pretty sure sells nymber pretty few.....
I have all Lotr product until now but now I don't wonna buy everything straight away as before. now I will look first on product since quality if some quest is not so good. and SOE very good example. waste of my money....

Agree. Why is stone so expensive??? It's not worth it. Now I am going to wait for these instead of giving my money to FFG to make sure it's not a total crap job effort by them.
  • Glaurung likes this

#32 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:01 AM

Oh no! I actually liked Stone of Erech! I thought the whole time thing was an interesting mechanic! Though I can't help but agree, MaO is still one of the best quests out there!

Not really sure what I hope to see in the Old Forest. I'm sure they'll do a good job of I it, however it turns out...  :)

I just like challenge. I find the quests have a secret to them and it's fun finding it out, but once you do it's pretty much shelved. For instance, in BOG if I kill número on first turn it's easy quest. For morgal vale I use beorn and slaughter the two bosses each in the first two turns and just direct damage the boss a few times and it's done.

The really amazing quests are the ones that you can lose consistently even with great deck. Where you need to think through every card in your deck and every decision you make. Like laketown, siege, Massing when it first came out etc. these quest are fun to keep playing and don't force you to dumb down your deck to make it fun.

Stone of erch does not fit this mold. It's a damn easy quest. I beat it first time without serious deck building effort.

I just want them to make the quests harder. It's a shame to do this we now need to buy a quest and then wait for a nightmare pack at a ridiculolous cost to enjoy the quest.

That's cool, bro, but do you realize not all the peoples think and feel the same way? So calling a quest "bad" just because it doesn't fits your taste is sort of selfish and ignorant. Just to be clear, this statement is not directly to you, but to all SoE haters out there.

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo, 13 May 2014 - 02:02 AM.

#33 7theye

7theye

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:05 AM

That's cool, bro, but do you realize not all the peoples think and feel the same way? So calling a quest "bad" just because it doesn't fits your taste is sort of selfish and ignorant. Just to be clear, this statement is not directly to you, but to all SoE haters out there.

I don't think it's selfish and ignorant. I am saying for me it's a bad quest and I listed reasons why. If other players like to play lesser decks that are more thematic then that's great for them. Just like a movie critic who dislikes a movie isn't being selfish - I am just giving my opinion that I think is not an isolated one.

#34 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:20 AM

You quoted this phrase "Yes doesn matter how you look on it SOE is a bad quest and im pretty sure sells nymber pretty few....." and agreed with it. There is no "for me", there is "no matter how you look on it", which implies all people who like this quest are wrong.

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo, 13 May 2014 - 06:20 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS