• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 kyrie

kyrie

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:59 PM

Courtesy of Matthew D. over on the Grey Company Facebook page:

GenCon Update! The GenCon exclusive quest this year is named "The Old Forest." Here's the description: "Escape the agents of Mordor in the Old Forest at the Lord of the Rings Fellowship Event! You must bring your own deck to participate. All participating players will receive one free copy of the Old Forest Quest. Players participate in this event as part of a 2-player team. If you do not have a team, we will do our best to match you with another available player (no guarantees). If you are paired with another player, be prepared to adjust your deck accordingly, to prevent duplicate Heroes."

Edited by kyrie, 09 May 2014 - 09:00 PM.

• The_Big_Show and JsBingley like this

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

#2 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:28 PM

Hmmmm old Forest IS mean the One next to Shire?

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#3 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 971 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:31 PM

Yes.
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#4 Sinamil

Sinamil

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:46 PM

Super, super, super excited!! Why?  Because this means we will likely see a Tom Bombadil objective ally (hero???)!!  Please do this incredibly unique character credit with some good art.

• shipwreck, danpoage and JsBingley like this

#5 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:53 AM

Hmmm there is should be some bad Locations and Treacheries then….No much enemies probably…..

Anyway last POD quest was really bad one (at least for me)  so now me  much less exiting about this…. will see……..

#6 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:56 AM

I hope for Old Man Willow unique enemy.

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#7 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:20 AM

I hope for rules to include it in the lord of the rings saga.

#8 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:31 AM

I'm sure it would fit in nicely between a shadow if the past and a knife in the dark, not unlike how the battle of lake tone filled the gap between the lonely mountain and the battle of 5 armies (although that was somewhat backwards because I think we got lake tone before the 2nd hobbit box ha)

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#9 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:11 AM

I'm sure it would fit in nicely between a shadow if the past and a knife in the dark, not unlike how the battle of lake tone filled the gap between the lonely mountain and the battle of 5 armies (although that was somewhat backwards because I think we got lake tone before the 2nd hobbit box ha)

It does, but I'd like rules to actively support it (rather than just being able to do it myself) - I'd like the POD expansion to come with extra boons for example.

On a related note I'd really like to see a "campaign" POD for the mirkwood cycle I really think the linking of quests in the lotr saga is the best thing the game has done yet,

Maybe not Mirkwood because it's thematically the weakest, but Against the Shadow and Dwarrowdwelf could both be played as campaigns and - with boons and banes added by a POD expansion they could be really fun. (Another way to breath new life into the old quests, as the nightmare expansions are).

Edited by Rapier, 10 May 2014 - 08:13 AM.

• OnkelZorni, shipwreck, Caerdowyn and 1 other like this

#10 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:05 AM

It does, but I'd like rules to actively support it (rather than just being able to do it myself) - I'd like the POD expansion to come with extra boons for example.

On a related note I'd really like to see a "campaign" POD for the mirkwood cycle I really think the linking of quests in the lotr saga is the best thing the game has done yet,
Maybe not Mirkwood because it's thematically the weakest, but Against the Shadow and Dwarrowdwelf could both be played as campaigns and - with boons and banes added by a POD expansion they could be really fun. (Another way to breath new life into the old quests, as the nightmare expansions are).

That would be pretty sweet. Given the strong narrative structure in against the cycle if I had to choose I think that would be a great place to implement it. Although we're likely still a long ways off from seeing that as POD

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#11 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:05 AM

Let us cheer for more info on this pod.

#12 7theye

7theye

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:13 PM

Hmmm there is should be some bad Locations and Treacheries then….No much enemies probably…..

Anyway last POD quest was really bad one (at least for me)  so now me  much less exiting about this…. will see……..

Totally agree. Massing and lake town are two best quests. Last POD was far too easy
  • JsBingley likes this

#13 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:47 PM

Totally agree. Massing and lake town are two best quests. Last POD was far too easy

Not only easy but also nothing special. .. no interesting mechanic nothing. it can be usual quest in the cycle. POD suppose to be something special and hard. Hope Old Forest will be something more then : play once and put on shelf and forget. MAO is after 2 years still very cool one ane Lake Town too. Last POD with undead not even have a proper topic on the forum. so no one really pay much attention to that example of lazy and und negligenty designers job.

#14 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:10 AM

This actually makes me sad because what they will now likely do is to have Bombadil as an objective only and not a player card. Unless of course, and then I would rejoice greatly, they will have both. If the next cycle is the Shire, then I hope we will get Tomb Bombadil (and Goldberry, of course) as allies -- I care not how much restricted they are, just as long we have them.

As for the cycle, it makes a perfect sense now, to have the Shire and the whole Eriador for the adventure packs, it is one area this game have little been to (except in the saga).

As for Bombadil and Goldberry, they seem to be the last two major characters still left out, save perhaps Thranduil.

#15 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:33 AM

Not only easy but also nothing special. .. no interesting mechanic nothing. it can be usual quest in the cycle. POD suppose to be something special and hard. Hope Old Forest will be something more then : play once and put on shelf and forget. MAO is after 2 years still very cool one ane Lake Town too. Last POD with undead not even have a proper topic on the forum. so no one really pay much attention to that example of lazy and und negligenty designers job.

Well I really liked the art of the Stone of Erech. But that was as far as my interested in the POD went. And I agree both Massing at Osgiliath and the Battle of Lake-town are excellent. The former I must have played over two hundred times now.

#16 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:45 PM

Oh no! I actually liked Stone of Erech! I thought the whole time thing was an interesting mechanic! Though I can't help but agree, MaO is still one of the best quests out there!

Not really sure what I hope to see in the Old Forest. I'm sure they'll do a good job of it, however it turns out...  :)

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#17 CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:49 PM

Oh no! I actually liked Stone of Erech! I thought the whole time thing was an interesting mechanic! Though I can't help but agree, MaO is still one of the best quests out there!

Not really sure what I hope to see in the Old Forest. I'm sure they'll do a good job of I it, however it turns out...  :)

I liked Stone of Erech too. Surprised by the dislike toward it, to be honest.

#18 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:55 PM

The Hate for Stone of Erech comes from veteran players who thinks that all new quests should aim to break all your teeth and accept no excuses.

• JsBingley likes this

#19 JsBingley

JsBingley

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:32 PM

Good News

#20 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:07 AM

The Hate for Stone of Erech comes from veteran players who thinks that all new quests should aim to break all your teeth and accept no excuses.

I guess in general, maybe. But not for me. I actually quite dislike the whole POD. I think I spend a lot of money already on the game when I buy every expansion. But I am sort of a deck-building maniac, so I when I purchase a box, I always wants to see new player cards, together with new quests. I got Lake-town as a gift, and I printed Osgiliath myself. Erech just was not intriguing enough. The Old Forest just might be.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS