Chances of Gandalf

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Chris51261

Chris51261

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:17 PM

So now that we've got Nenya alongside Vilya and their ringbearers as heroes, what do you think the odds are of seeing Gandalf and Narya show up? I think it's very telling that Galadriel was revealed and is from the 5th adventure pack in the cycle, when usually a hero of that magnitude would be a finale hero. I also sort of wonder if we will get a Narya card that affects the Gandalfs we already have, perhaps keeping them around or reducing their threat per turn cost. I dunno, just very optimistic we might actually see Mithrandir in hero form!

Edited by Chris51261, 09 May 2014 - 01:26 PM.

#2 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:13 PM

They could call him Mithrandir and not have the problem of the allies not being playable I suppose.

#3 klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:46 PM

That would be technically right, but I shudder at the thought of having Mithrandir and Gandalf in play. We may as well add Tharkûn and his other aliases for the ultimate schizophrenic party ever. Not to mention that could lead to another can of worms in the form of Aragorn and his other names.

• OnkelZorni and ZanzibarLand like this

#4 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

That would be technically right, but I shudder at the thought of having Mithrandir and Gandalf in play. We may as well add Tharkûn and his other aliases for the ultimate schizophrenic party ever. Not to mention that could lead to another can of worms in the form of Aragorn and his other names.

Well Aragorn (in the guise of Strider) sets the precedent the other way. So they probably wouldn't do this. On the other hand a major objection on the other thread was that Gandalf Ally was too good to give up.

#5 Chris51261

Chris51261

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:08 PM

Ohh no guys I just said that to say that, I didn't mean having him actually called Mithrandir to have them both out, lol. I think Gandalf is gonna be powerful and not being able to utilize his very effective ally version would be a way to balance him out a bit.
  • danpoage likes this

#6 Noccus

Noccus

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:38 PM

With Galadriel out of the way, the 2 main contenders for the 1 hero slot in "the road darkens" are Boromir & Gandalf imo.
So the chances of seeing him next saga box have gone way up.
I'm not too sure if I want to see him really.
My vote goes to spirit Boromir, with some cool sacrifice ability that saves other heroes or something.
"Not all those who wander are lost"

#7 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:09 AM

Boromir character for sure, yes, but a third hero version? Unlikely. Gandalf it must be. 1 hero slots feels like it is going to be Neutral, and if so, there is little choice.

#8 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:18 PM

Galadriel is here. Gandalf is next! I feel it in my bones!

#9 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:43 PM

I just cant see us ever getting a Gandalf hero. I can still see us getting the ring and just placing it on ally Gandalf (obviously the Hobbit version would be better for this).

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#10 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:40 PM

I just cant see us ever getting a Gandalf hero. I can still see us getting the ring and just placing it on ally Gandalf (obviously the Hobbit version would be better for this).

Just out of curiosity, who do u anticipate the single hero in the road darkens to be?

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#11 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:36 AM

I hope that we will get another Gondor or Rohan hero. Perhaps a version of Faramir that is actually useful.

• ZanzibarLand likes this

#12 NZEngineer

NZEngineer

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:22 AM

How about a hero or non-suck ally version of Radagast.

Or Thranduil (Legolas father).

Hero version of Arwen.

Cirdan (gave the Narya ring to Gandalf).

An Ent here since we seem to be in that region.

Also the red arrow since we almost have all of the rohan specific things.

But third Gandalf, no.  Not my first pick.  And if you remember the story he hardly used the rings because it was to powerful, possibly why the original ally version disappear.

#13 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:43 AM

There is an official proof of Gandalf being a hero. I don't see where those "never-seeing-gandalf-hero" people coming from.

The only thing that can invoke a doubts regarding this is competence of FFG, because if this was a typo...

• DurinIII likes this

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#14 Noccus

Noccus

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:07 AM

There is an official proof of Gandalf being a hero

Source?
"Not all those who wander are lost"

#15 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:30 AM

There is an official proof of Gandalf being a hero. I don't see where those "never-seeing-gandalf-hero" people coming from.
The only thing that can invoke a doubts regarding this is competence of FFG, because if this was a typo...

I'm glad someone else agrees with me. I would be very surprised if we never saw a Gandalf hero.
What's the 'proof'?
  • DurinIII likes this

#16 klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:51 AM

The only thing close to the proof was the Glamdring card. At least that's what I think is his proof.

#17 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:17 AM

MEC34-cardfan-05.png

Yup. Emphasis on "attached hero". It could be a printing mistake, of course, but if it is - I despise FFG.

On a side note, dam Frodo looks ugly on this mithril shirt art.

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo, 12 May 2014 - 08:18 AM.

• DurinIII and ZanzibarLand like this

#18 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:57 AM

Oh yeah, this old argument. I'm still not sure either way about it. Either Gandalf doesn't get the +2atk or there's a hero version coming. (I don't want to reopen this can of worms to be honest).

Frodo looks like a woman in her 40s.
  • Mich the One likes this

#19 Mich the One

Mich the One

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:29 AM

I would say calling this "an official proof" is an overstatement. Not to say this theory cannot prove valid, but as ZanzibarLand said perhaps the designers just do not want to pump up the attack of Gandalf. With the Hobbit ally version you would get a 6 attack character who does not commit to quest, which is massive. Maybe it is just that. 

• Nerdmeister, klaymen_sk and ZanzibarLand like this

#20 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:38 AM

Would be extremely bad of them to do.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS